The defending Big XII Champions
bahweepgronnaweep

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by bahweepgronnaweep » January 11th, 2024, 2:49 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 2:25 pm
bahweepgronnaweep wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 2:08 pm

Yeah, maybe I should tweak my wording here. It's not that they should be easy to get. If they were, we would have them. It's that it shouldn't be hard to find a player that is a day 1 skill upgrade because our baseline is low. Ohio State can probably only find 5 to 10 WRs a year that even have a chance of upgrading the WR talent. Then they also have to go close them. I am just saying the pool of guys that could upgrade us is really big, and despite the real competition for those signatures, I expect this staff to close some of them.

Bring it all together, It is not immediately obvious to me that Cephas is definitely a guy that provides an out and out upgrade, so while he might and it's a good get, I am expecting more guys, and at least one that looks like a clear day 1 starter no matter what.

Sounds good, enjoy the discussion. The guy that is interesting to me is the kid that we are supposedly getting for a visit tomorrow, a transfer from Bama, his first name is Shazz, I can't remember his last name. This dude was a big time recruit two years ago, everyone wanted him, his offer list is as impressive as they come. He is like 6'1" 200 or something, but in two years at Alabama he got no catches. Redshirted in his first year, which is understandable, but basically just special teams this year.

To me he is the type of guy I would love to get just based on his ceiling, even though he has produced nothing at the college level. But you would have him for three years. But, I suppose if he comes here and blows up he could potentially look for bigger dollars elsewhere, but that is okay if we get a huge year or two from him.

I would love to get a veteran like Cephus and what might be considered a flyer on a guy like Shazz.
Yeah, likewise. The Bama guy you are talking about sounds like the kind of player that should be gettable and is almost definitely an instant talent upgrade for the room.
These users thanked the author bahweepgronnaweep for the post:
randallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 11th, 2024, 3:35 pm

Shazz Preston would be a big time pickup. I wish we had better weather for his visit. Snow and bitter cold temperatures this weekend won't be ideal for a kid from Louisiana who played for Alabama. Hopefully, that won't matter to him.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » January 11th, 2024, 5:50 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 3:35 pm
Shazz Preston would be a big time pickup. I wish we had better weather for his visit. Snow and bitter cold temperatures this weekend won't be ideal for a kid from Louisiana who played for Alabama. Hopefully, that won't matter to him.
Shouldn't matter with the weather if the kid is a legit NFL Talent. Even if he's drafted by a southern NFL Team, they'll play in cold weather climate games a couple of times a year on average anyway.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 12th, 2024, 5:53 pm

Starting to get concerned about our lack of any signings from the portal recently. Also not any activity in the 25 class. Trust our coach’s, but it is making me nervous.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 12th, 2024, 6:12 pm

greycat68 wrote:
January 12th, 2024, 5:53 pm
Starting to get concerned about our lack of any signings from the portal recently. Also not any activity in the 25 class. Trust our coach’s, but it is making me nervous.
Well, we did sign a few guys from the transfer portal recently. Our biggest need remaining from the portal is obviously at wide receiver. It sounds like we have a decent shot at landing Cephas. Shazz Preston is visiting this weekend so we have a shot at landing him, too. Regarding HS kids, I haven't heard anything, but the next signing day is coming in February so we may hear more as that date approaches.

greycat68

Post by greycat68 » January 12th, 2024, 6:16 pm

Don’t we need more help at cornerback also? Just asking.
These users thanked the author greycat68 for the post:
randallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » January 12th, 2024, 6:28 pm

greycat68 wrote:
January 12th, 2024, 6:16 pm
Don’t we need more help at cornerback also? Just asking.
Yeah, we probably do. It just seems like all of the priority talk has been about getting one or two more experienced receivers out of the portal.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 12th, 2024, 10:57 pm

I would think many receivers would be up for playing with Avery. It would be a travesty not to have a great receiver corps during his tenure. We have seen the importance of top level pass catchers since Tyreek left the Chiefs.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 13th, 2024, 11:32 am

went by "the bill" just now after b&g at you know where - vista. coach klieman's vehicle is parked right at the entrance doors to the indoor practice facility. lights on. several vehicles in the lot. i'm reasonably confident avery johnson is in there chucking a few downfield to the alabama dude. and yes, it's colder than a well digger's ass in january.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 13th, 2024, 2:02 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 5:50 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
January 11th, 2024, 3:35 pm
Shouldn't matter with the weather if the kid is a legit NFL Talent. Even if he's drafted by a southern NFL Team, they'll play in cold weather climate games a couple of times a year on average anyway.
It'd sure as heck matter to me, but I hate it more and more every year. It sucks, but that certainly factors in with some kids.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post (total 4):
PurpleOnWhitestlcatfanrandallcat85farrout10