KSU Foundation - Congratulations

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 27th, 2024, 4:41 pm

David V. Rosowsky, Ph.D.
@DavidRosowsky
·
21h
Congratulations to ⁦
@KSU_Foundation
⁩ on achieving this endowment milestone, shared at today’s Trustees’ meeting! #KState #eclipse 📈

These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 4):
tmcatsstlcatfanrandallcat85AlabamaLane

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 27th, 2024, 8:28 pm

A nice milestone to achieve. I've always felt that our endowment was way too low for a school our size. I'm glad to see we broke the billion dollar barrier. :thumbsup:
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

Ksuminnesotacat

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » April 27th, 2024, 8:47 pm

And yet , this is from May of 23…

TOPEKA (KSNT) – A recent study by the U.S. Census Bureau (USCB) identified 341 counties across the country, including one in Kansas, as places where people are living at higher poverty rates.

The USCB study identified places where people are living in persistent poverty. These are counties where poverty rates are maintained at levels of 20% or more for the past 30 years. Among the 341 counties named in the study, Riley County was selected as the only one from Kansas as being a place where persistent poverty exists.

According to the USCB study, people living in places of higher poverty experience more severe systemic problems than those living in lower poverty areas. This can consist of limited access to medical services, healthy and affordable food, quality education and civic engagement opportunities.
Julie Gibbs, director of the Riley County Health Department (RCHD), wrote in an email that USCB data points to a 17.6% poverty rate in the county, placing them in second for the highest poverty rate in the state behind Crawford County. Gibbs said this trend is nothing new and can be tied to the large Kansas State University student population living in Manhattan, some of which attend classes while living in crumbling apartments.

“The university has a large number of undergrad students (15,046 in 2021) and most complete their classes in person,” Gibbs wrote. “The students account for about 20% of the 72,000 people who reside in Riley County, and many of them do not work full time or have regular, reportable income.”

However, Gibbs wrote the issue of poverty within the student population cannot be overlooked. Many programs are on hand for students who are struggling such as the Cat’s Cupboard, Flint Hill’s Breadbasket and Nourish Together: Food and Farm Council. Additional support offered by the RCHD includes the Community Health Fair and an upcoming Community Baby Shower.

“Our message to people who are struggling is, you’re not alone and we’re here to help,” Gibbs wrote. Yeah …
These users thanked the author Ksuminnesotacat for the post:
randallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 27th, 2024, 9:10 pm

Ksuminnesotacat wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 8:47 pm

TOPEKA (KSNT) – A recent study by the U.S. Census Bureau (USCB) identified 341 counties across the country, including one in Kansas, as places where people are living at higher poverty rates.

The USCB study identified places where people are living in persistent poverty. These are counties where poverty rates are maintained at levels of 20% or more for the past 30 years. Among the 341 counties named in the study, Riley County was selected as the only one from Kansas as being a place where persistent poverty exists.

According to the USCB study, people living in places of higher poverty experience more severe systemic problems than those living in lower poverty areas. This can consist of limited access to medical services, healthy and affordable food, quality education and civic engagement opportunities.
Julie Gibbs, director of the Riley County Health Department (RCHD), wrote in an email that USCB data points to a 17.6% poverty rate in the county, placing them in second for the highest poverty rate in the state behind Crawford County. Gibbs said this trend is nothing new and can be tied to the large Kansas State University student population living in Manhattan, some of which attend classes while living in crumbling apartments.

“The university has a large number of undergrad students (15,046 in 2021) and most complete their classes in person,” Gibbs wrote. “The students account for about 20% of the 72,000 people who reside in Riley County, and many of them do not work full time or have regular, reportable income.”

However, Gibbs wrote the issue of poverty within the student population cannot be overlooked. Many programs are on hand for students who are struggling such as the Cat’s Cupboard, Flint Hill’s Breadbasket and Nourish Together: Food and Farm Council. Additional support offered by the RCHD includes the Community Health Fair and an upcoming Community Baby Shower.

“Our message to people who are struggling is, you’re not alone and we’re here to help,” Gibbs wrote. Yeah …
How is the situation here different than in other college towns in Kansas like Lawrence, Emporia, and Hays?

Ksuminnesotacat

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » April 27th, 2024, 9:37 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 9:10 pm
Ksuminnesotacat wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 8:47 pm

How is the situation here different than in other college towns in Kansas like Lawrence, Emporia, and Hays?
Good question I think it’s excuse…
These users thanked the author Ksuminnesotacat for the post:
stlcatfan

kstueve

Post by kstueve » April 28th, 2024, 7:28 am

Ksuminnesotacat wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 9:37 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 9:10 pm

because they also have the spouses of young enlisted men and women and we all know that we pay those people below the poverty level
These users thanked the author kstueve for the post:
stlcatfan

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » April 28th, 2024, 8:35 am

I was always starving in college and never had more than 20 bucks in my wallet. It is the natural state of existence for many college students. Did I feel like I was living below the poverty level? Absolutely not, I knew that I would raise my standard of living once I graduated. I am not sure using a college towns standard of living and calling it poverty is totally accurate.
These users thanked the author Kralicek for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 28th, 2024, 9:13 am

kstueve wrote:
April 28th, 2024, 7:28 am
Ksuminnesotacat wrote:
April 27th, 2024, 9:37 pm

because they also have the spouses of young enlisted men and women and we all know that we pay those people below the poverty level
I was thinking that, too. You also have military families living in some of the small communities around Fort Riley that are also located in Riley County, and not just Manhattan. The cost of living is much cheaper in those small towns.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » April 28th, 2024, 10:59 am

I think the census report on Riley County and Manhattan is horse crap. The students I see look well nourished, drive a car, have an expensive cell phone, are clothed well (except for the holey jeans by choice.) Somebody is living in all the newly constructed apartments in MHK and most of them are students.

True, the military folks are, sadly, underpaid. But they have access to health care and the PX for necessities.

I think the real story is that a goodly portion of modern folks think they're poor, and don't realize they are actually among the world's most affluent.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 28th, 2024, 11:11 am

a high student participation in the census, calling mhk home, makes for a high poverty rate. it's a rather simple explanation. if you live in mhk, you know this is not a poverty town, just the opposite, it's expensive here.
Why is there something rather than nothing?