schulz's time over at wazzu ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

schulz's time over at wazzu ...

Post by tmcats » April 19th, 2024, 6:23 pm

bad timing for him to take over the bottom feeder in a conference that was in the end doomed. i know kirk and like him. he's smart, thoughtful, and a decent person. he did many great things here following president wefald at anderson hall. but he left, i will always believe, because of sam brownback.

anyway, he's retiring from wsu, probably like bill snyder did here, with a shove. sad ending for a bright guy. i suspect he'll find a new and meaningful role somewhere else but not in a power four president's job. he's 60.

https://www.cougcenter.com/2024/4/19/24 ... ealignment

WSU President Kirk Schultz announces retirement
Schulz was president of the Pullman campus and then the WSU system for more than 8 years.

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanWildcatEngineer
Why is there something rather than nothing?

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 20th, 2024, 2:27 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 6:23 pm
bad timing for him to take over the bottom feeder in a conference that was in the end doomed. i know kirk and like him. he's smart, thoughtful, and a decent person. he did many great things here following president wefald at anderson hall. but he left, i will always believe, because of sam brownback.

anyway, he's retiring from wsu, probably like bill snyder did here, with a shove. sad ending for a bright guy. i suspect he'll find a new and meaningful role somewhere else but not in a power four president's job. he's 60.

https://www.cougcenter.com/2024/4/19/24 ... ealignment

WSU President Kirk Schultz announces retirement
Schulz was president of the Pullman campus and then the WSU system for more than 8 years.

TM, what are the "Many great things" that he did that were not part of the Athletic Department and John Currie? Expansion of Engineering? Keeping Ward Hall open? Building Wefald Hall? The new Business Building?
My timeline gets blended between Wefald-Schultz-Meyers

Rusty7777

Post by Rusty7777 » April 20th, 2024, 3:07 pm

I knew him, too. Irrespective of whatever good he did, he was (with his wife) also a politically-correct buffoon. Just one example: he most notably tried to destroy the "EMAW" branding and slogan – due to the inclusion of "man." Apparently his wife was influential in that. How stupid. He later told me how "hurtful" the fan reaction was on his wife. Well, what did he expect? It's a beloved acronym. After he left, his anti-EMAW initiative only served to make EMAW more popular than ever. An outsider who clumsily tried to change a tradition.

Some of these presidents who transfer-in (including the current guy) are beset with Napoleon complex, with astonishingly poor self-awareness.
These users thanked the author Rusty7777 for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanTbonespopwazucat

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 20th, 2024, 9:01 pm

Probably didn't want to work in a non-Power Four school IMO. WSU is definitely losing TV Viewing dollars, going from the Pac-12 to a Mountain West Conference level. Pac-12 is dead & buried, no matter if the two remaining schools try and bring new teams into the conference IMO.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
stlcatfan

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 20th, 2024, 10:29 pm

Dr Wefald introduce him to me during the transition. Beyond that I never dealt with him. My 2 beefs

- The Star Trek Enterprise ramming the Jayhawk - Dr Trascz got hung out by cowardly KSU management who would never identify themselves but everyone knew it was Schultz and Currie. My opinion is KSU should have told all the Bitchers to get their mind out of the gutter and identify how intricate and difficult that marching routine was to execute.

- As the spokesperson for the Pac 12 when he said the Big XII less OU and UT had nothing to offer the Pac 12. He did NOT have to make that statement. He could have just kept quiet. He stuck a knife into the remaining members of the Big XII for no reason.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanTbonespopwazucat

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 21st, 2024, 9:15 am

schulz did not do everything well. the emaw thingy was asinine - noel, his wife's work - as was ecocat. but yes, the business school, engineering school, wefald hall, the north corridor plan now being completed, finishing nbaf, all the athletic department stuff from the basketball training facility to the west stadium center and vanier football complex, all that came under kirk. when he left capital projects stopped, enrollment went south. he was also very good with city hall. the city/university relationship was strong during his tenure.
stlcatfanWildcatEngineer

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 21st, 2024, 9:28 am

tmcats wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 9:15 am
schulz did not do everything well. the emaw thingy was asinine - noel, his wife's work - as was ecocat. but yes, the business school, engineering school, wefald hall, the north corridor plan now being completed, finishing nbaf, all the athletic department stuff from the basketball training facility to the west stadium center and vanier football complex, all that came under kirk. when he left capital projects stopped, enrollment went south. he was also very good with city hall. the city/university relationship was strong during his tenure.
Which capital projects stopped when Schulz left? Have they re-started or proceeded under Linton?
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 21st, 2024, 9:31 am

stlcatfan wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 9:28 am
tmcats wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 9:15 am
Which capital projects stopped when Schulz left? Have they re-started or proceeded under Linton?
i can't name a single project started under "the general." president linton's first major capital project is the new ag innovation school. it breaks ground shortly. badly needed. plus, there are new buildings under construction in the north corridor, but that's commercial interests in cahoots with k-state endowment. enrollment stopped declining last reporting cycle.

https://www.k-state.edu/ag-innovation/
WildcatEngineerstlcatfan

wazucat

Post by wazucat » April 21st, 2024, 1:21 pm

Just a FYI , Shulz's PC crap continued at WSU as well. WSU, my wife pointed out to me this morning, had a long standing tradition of having a Dad's weekend in the fall and a Mom's weekend in the spring - after his wife got in his ear (IMO) they did away with those traditions (a fact). In place of the old "non -inclusive " weekends they now have a family weekend. If you ride into town as the new sheriff and blow up traditions you're gonna make some enemies , DUH, he / she obviously learned nothing from "EPAW" . I'm not a Coug grad but my wife, son, daughter and numerous relatives are. I've lived in WA for nearly 40 years now and Shulz is the worst President in my tenure by a jug full .
These users thanked the author wazucat for the post (total 3):
randallcat85Rusty7777stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 21st, 2024, 2:54 pm

wazucat wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 1:21 pm
Just a FYI , Shulz's PC crap continued at WSU as well. WSU, my wife pointed out to me this morning, had a long standing tradition of having a Dad's weekend in the fall and a Mom's weekend in the spring - after his wife got in his ear (IMO) they did away with those traditions (a fact). In place of the old "non -inclusive " weekends they now have a family weekend. If you ride into town as the new sheriff and blow up traditions you're gonna make some enemies , DUH, he / she obviously learned nothing from "EPAW" . I'm not a Coug grad but my wife, son, daughter and numerous relatives are. I've lived in WA for nearly 40 years now and Shulz is the worst President in my tenure by a jug full .
I was on a WSU board a while back and judging from the comments there, let's just say most of them felt pretty much the same way about President Schulz. I am thankful for the good things he did while at K-State, but I don't miss him, either. Hopefully, our current president will keep the university train going forward and avoid being a micromanager in the future.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85katlander
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca