WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Bad News - Former Voice Of The Wildcats Greg Sharpe Has Cancer

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 15th, 2024, 9:52 pm

These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 15th, 2024, 10:25 pm

So sorry to hear this about Greg. He's a good man & I'll be praying for him & his family at this sad news.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » April 15th, 2024, 10:56 pm

I just saw this announcement video.
I enjoyed it when he was the voice of the Wildcats. I think he was at WIBW also.
He is well liked in Nebraska. My brother in law thinks he is great.
I will be thinking about him in my prayers. It is scary getting old. Seems like problems like these become more prevalent. I probably though will have an inglorious death like drowning in the toilet.

powercat95

Post by powercat95 » April 16th, 2024, 10:13 am

Strange, I have not seen him or listened to him in years. Guess he has gotten older (as all of us have). I was really sad when he stopped announcing for K-State, he was one of the greats! Hope his cancer is something that can be treated.
These users thanked the author powercat95 for the post:
randallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 16th, 2024, 10:38 am

one of jon wefald's unfortunate consequences for getting in a p'match over radio rights with wibw was losing a truly hof voice in greg sharpe to nebraska no less. it broke up one of the finest broadcast teams in the b8. just brutal.

K-State strong-armed the Kaw Valley Catbackers into dumping Sharpe as the emcee for their annual summer picnic. The university wanted Weber’s new partner on MAAN, Wyatt Thompson, to host the event.

“This is a little ironic,” Sharpe recently told the Topeka Capital-Journal. “Last winter I received a distinguished service award from the alumni association, and now it’s not appropriate for me to talk at Catbacker events.”

https://www.thepitchkc.com/cat-fight/
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 3):
WildcatEngineerrandallcat85Catalum
Why is there something rather than nothing?

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 16th, 2024, 10:44 am

SCKSCat wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:56 pm
I just saw this announcement video.
I enjoyed it when he was the voice of the Wildcats. I think he was at WIBW also.
He is well liked in Nebraska. My brother in law thinks he is great.
I will be thinking about him in my prayers. It is scary getting old. Seems like problems like these become more prevalent. I probably though will have an inglorious death like drowning in the toilet.
SC, you are correct about WIBW. I cannot remember all the details, but he stayed with WIBW when Dr Wefald and AD Tim Weiser sold the KKSU/WIBW contract. That was when Wyatt came in from Colorado (Colorado State?). I remember Mitch was publicly against the split with WIBW.

Greg did not leave KSU to be the Voice of the Huskers. That came later.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85

Catalum

Post by Catalum » April 16th, 2024, 1:09 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 16th, 2024, 10:38 am
one of jon wefald's unfortunate consequences for getting in a p'match over radio rights with wibw was losing a truly hof voice in greg sharpe to nebraska no less. it broke up one of the finest broadcast teams in the b8. just brutal.

K-State strong-armed the Kaw Valley Catbackers into dumping Sharpe as the emcee for their annual summer picnic. The university wanted Weber’s new partner on MAAN, Wyatt Thompson, to host the event.

“This is a little ironic,” Sharpe recently told the Topeka Capital-Journal. “Last winter I received a distinguished service award from the alumni association, and now it’s not appropriate for me to talk at Catbacker events.”

https://www.thepitchkc.com/cat-fight/
I remember that debacle. Sharpe did a wonderful job at K-State taking over for Mitch. Really hated to see him leave, especially go to the Nubs.

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 16th, 2024, 4:19 pm

I liked his sports show called "Sports Sanity". He was very knowledgeable and respectful. I wish him a full and speedy recovery.