Depth Chart

The defending Big XII Champions
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Re: Depth Chart

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 3rd, 2024, 8:45 am

tmcats wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 11:28 am
that receiving corps of brown, cephas, johnson, with oakley at tight end could be the best ever at this school. plus, giddens has shown a lot of game out of the backfield.
Mr Giddens, might very well be the BEST receiving RB in the history of KSU. I go back to Mack Herron, Sproles, Deuce, etc., those guys may have done more yards after catch, but for good consistent hands and catching the ball Mr Giddens is very very good.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 3rd, 2024, 8:57 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:45 am
tmcats wrote:
April 1st, 2024, 11:28 am
that receiving corps of brown, cephas, johnson, with oakley at tight end could be the best ever at this school. plus, giddens has shown a lot of game out of the backfield.
Mr Giddens, might very well be the BEST receiving RB in the history of KSU. I go back to Mack Herron, Sproles, Deuce, etc., those guys may have done more yards after catch, but for good consistent hands and catching the ball Mr Giddens is very very good.
Sproles is #1 in my opinion, followed by Deuce. They both were so elusive with great routes, didn't put it on the ground, and put an extreme amount of pressure on the entire defense because he had break away speed. Giddens is fantastic, and does those things well too, but if I'm a defensive coordinator, I'd rather have Giddens catching it out of the backfield than Sproles simply because of how hard they were to bring down in the open field, one on one. All 3 had great hands.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 3rd, 2024, 10:44 am

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is not an official depth chart released from the school, correct?? To me it looks like a website or something that actually did some research and used information from the bowl game, word out of camp, etc to create this chart. From the looks of all the videos coming out of practice, it seems pretty clear that LeJames White is currently the #2 RB ahead of Joe Jackson. That is just one example. I just know a lot of the older guys aren't even participating much in spring ball, guys like Purnell, Mott, Willis, are almost coaches this spring as they rest or recover from injury. I can't imagine the coaches would release an official depth chart at this point.

But I will say, this looks pretty good.

Texan4KSU

Post by Texan4KSU » April 3rd, 2024, 5:02 pm

As unofficial as this depth chart may be, what I do see is a team that has the potential to get much better as the season goes on. I really hope we don't lay an egg early in the season as I think we will be tough to beat by mid to late season. Lots of players with limited to no experience but also a lot of really good athletes. Hope the coaches can get this team to jell early on and of course no injuries although I believe we will have good depth. Go Cats!!

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 3rd, 2024, 5:19 pm

wild@nite wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:57 am
WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:45 am

Sproles is #1 in my opinion, followed by Deuce. They both were so elusive with great routes, didn't put it on the ground, and put an extreme amount of pressure on the entire defense because he had break away speed. Giddens is fantastic, and does those things well too, but if I'm a defensive coordinator, I'd rather have Giddens catching it out of the backfield than Sproles simply because of how hard they were to bring down in the open field, one on one. All 3 had great hands.
just some numbers to compare sproles with dj as sophomores:

sproles 9 receptions for 99 yards
dj 29 receptions for 323 yards

we'll have to see how this plays out. but in this offense versus lhcbs's, i suspect dj will far outperform sproles because it is in large part a function of systems. darren's best year was as a junior: 25 receptions for 287 yards.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 3rd, 2024, 7:17 pm

Texan4KSU wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:02 pm
As unofficial as this depth chart may be, what I do see is a team that has the potential to get much better as the season goes on. I really hope we don't lay an egg early in the season as I think we will be tough to beat by mid to late season. Lots of players with limited to no experience but also a lot of really good athletes. Hope the coaches can get this team to jell early on and of course no injuries although I believe we will have good depth. Go Cats!!
I agree, but would like to add that likely 9-10 wins gets us in the top 12 to make the CFP. As long as we can limit the "dumb" weekends (like OSU this last year or pretty much any game after a bye week under CK), we should be good to give it a go down the road.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
stlcatfan
EMAW

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 4th, 2024, 12:18 am

I think I read where this depth chart is based on information acquired by 247 Sports to as part of their function following and evaluating college football.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 4th, 2024, 9:40 am

tmcats wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 5:19 pm
wild@nite wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 8:57 am

just some numbers to compare sproles with dj as sophomores:

sproles 9 receptions for 99 yards
dj 29 receptions for 323 yards

we'll have to see how this plays out. but in this offense versus lhcbs's, i suspect dj will far outperform sproles because it is in large part a function of systems. darren's best year was as a junior: 25 receptions for 287 yards.
Sure, he will outperform Sproles simply because of the change in play calling. That wasn't the debate. I'm talking about skills. No knock on DJ, because he's legit, but Sproles coulda had 40 plus catches every year if that was the need. What LB was going to cover him out of the backfield? He showed in the pro's just how dangerous he was coming out of the backfield to catch passes. Deuce was similar. DJ is very versatile, but if I'm a D coordinator, I'd choose to defend DJ, anyday, over the game breaking agility and speed of Sproles.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
KSUbetcha

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 15th, 2024, 2:18 pm

Just saw where Max Marsh is planning on entering the transfer portal when it opens up tomorrow. I don't want to see any more kids enter the portal, but I totally get it for him. He was buried in the depth chart both at safety and when he went back to QB. Best of luck to him.
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 16th, 2024, 4:29 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 2:18 pm
Just saw where Max Marsh is planning on entering the transfer portal when it opens up tomorrow. I don't want to see any more kids enter the portal, but I totally get it for him. He was buried in the depth chart both at safety and when he went back to QB. Best of luck to him.
He has been willing to help where he could. At times it appeared he may be moving up the depth chart at safety but I am not sure he ever saw the field. I wonder why he is transferring and what he hopes to accomplish at this point in his college career?
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
stlcatfan