best game day experience ...

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

best game day experience ...

Post by tmcats » February 27th, 2024, 3:36 pm

here are the stadiums i've visited during my lifetime, your comments during this dead period would be interesting.

k-state - best boutique stadium atmosphere in the business;
ku - a real dump with awful sight lines and parking;
isu - a matchbox press box but good tailgate;
nebraska - the tunnel walk is awesome;
south dakota state - it's been awhile but nice bcs stadium;
air force - small but unintimidating;
missouri - step back to the 50s;
tcu - very much like 'the bill' without the atmosphere;
texas - mammoth digs - friendly, classy fans;
aTm - mammoth digs, odd fans, and weird fight song that's all about texas not aTm: https://youtu.be/6h7T_zbPGBw
stanford - the most uninspiring atmosphere ever;
army/navy jfk stadium - the rivalry is unmatchable;
notre dame - the holy grail of college football experiences;
purdue - like ku, just waiting for hoops season;
indiana - very pretty in brown county but football sucks;
northwestern - just awful high school like crib and environment;
arizona state - huge stadium with a pro feel.

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 4):
Catalumstlcatfanrandallcat85katlander
Why is there something rather than nothing?

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » February 27th, 2024, 4:45 pm

OSU's T. Boone Pickens stadium: nice facility. great fans. Great tailgating. Cramped feel to the playing field.
ISU: Great fans. Great tailgating. Handy parking. Stadium additions recently make it first-class facility.
Golden Domers: Very nice stadium, but not as ostentatious as I believed I'd see.
Tennessee: Ugly stadium. Looks like made from erector set. Very nice location along the Tennessee River.
Tennessee Tech: Pretty ho-hum. About what I expected from a small directional university.
Texas Tech: Nice facility. Awkward parking on two sides of interstate with bridge walk-over for fans. Friendly folks to tailgate with.
Texas A&M: Haven't seen it since most recent addition and improvement. Unimpressive to me for such a self-prestigious university.
Arkansas: Nice facility. Boisterous fans. "Soo-ee pig" gets boring quickly.
Wazzou: Unimpressive facility. Small. Friendly fans though. Poor parking.
These users thanked the author ToledoCat#3 for the post (total 2):
stlcatfantmcats

Catalum

Post by Catalum » February 27th, 2024, 4:45 pm

Iowa State (’03) – El Roberson & co. put the finishing touches on the ’03 season. VERY COLD in November
Colorado (’98 & ’02) – worse fans I’ve ever experienced
Texas (’99) – hot, hot weather, even in October. Cats abused Major Applewhite; post-game tailgate with some friendly Texans though
Texas A&M – can’t remember the year; when their fans start rocking, it feels like an earthquake
Stanford (’16) – as you said tm, no atmosphere whatsoever
Cincinnati (’95) – buildings had the look and feel of an old eastern city; Matt Miller to Kevin Lockett for the win
Baylor (’98) – K-State came in #1 in the coach’s poll; Baylor was NOT good that year. Rained the entire game; home crowd was nonexistent
Ok St. ('99 & '23) - the stadium had a major upgrade in those 24 years; fans generally friendly
OU ('01) - a few weeks after 911; loud, atmosphere about what you'd expect
Liberty Bowl – crappy stadium in a crappy area
Holiday Bowl (’99 & ’02) – great venue in a great city (to visit, wouldn’t want to live there)
Sundevil’s Stadium – “carved” into the side of a mountain
Sugar Bowl – not a fan of NOLA – smells
Jerry's world - 'nuff said
BSFS – of course my favorite
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post (total 3):
stlcatfantmcatswazucat

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 27th, 2024, 8:05 pm

Just adding to what's already been said.
UCLA - Rose Bowl, for such a storied stadium in a beautiful area it was a totally lame experience for college football
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan
EMAW

wazucat

Post by wazucat » February 27th, 2024, 9:13 pm

WAZZU poor crowd control/entry process, student side atmosphere nothing like KSU , small capacity but still can't fill it unless it's the Apple cup. PAC 10 after dark games are cold cruel and inhuman punishment.

Stanford - agree with previous observations , I thought the home fans were kind of like what you'd expect at a tennis match.

Squawk town a dump. But the "hill" what a sight rivals UW's view of Lake Washington, sarcasm alert.

UW big impersonal, kind of loud at times , nice roof to keep you dry in the normal crap weather, stuck up entitled fans.
These users thanked the author wazucat for the post:
stlcatfan

PurpleWildcat

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleWildcat » February 28th, 2024, 2:07 pm

Catalum wrote:
February 27th, 2024, 4:45 pm
Iowa State (’03) – El Roberson & co. put the finishing touches on the ’03 season. VERY COLD in November
Colorado (’98 & ’02) – worse fans I’ve ever experienced
Texas (’99) – hot, hot weather, even in October. Cats abused Major Applewhite; post-game tailgate with some friendly Texans though
Texas A&M – can’t remember the year; when their fans start rocking, it feels like an earthquake
Stanford (’16) – as you said tm, no atmosphere whatsoever
Cincinnati (’95) – buildings had the look and feel of an old eastern city; Matt Miller to Kevin Lockett for the win
Baylor (’98) – K-State came in #1 in the coach’s poll; Baylor was NOT good that year. Rained the entire game; home crowd was nonexistent
Ok St. ('99 & '23) - the stadium had a major upgrade in those 24 years; fans generally friendly
OU ('01) - a few weeks after 911; loud, atmosphere about what you'd expect
Liberty Bowl – crappy stadium in a crappy area
Holiday Bowl (’99 & ’02) – great venue in a great city (to visit, wouldn’t want to live there)
Sundevil’s Stadium – “carved” into the side of a mountain
Sugar Bowl – not a fan of NOLA – smells
Jerry's world - 'nuff said
BSFS – of course my favorite
Hands down!

topekacat

Post by topekacat » February 28th, 2024, 2:48 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 27th, 2024, 3:36 pm
here are the stadiums i've visited during my lifetime, your comments during this dead period would be interesting.

k-state - best boutique stadium atmosphere in the business;
ku - a real dump with awful sight lines and parking;
isu - a matchbox press box but good tailgate;
nebraska - the tunnel walk is awesome;
south dakota state - it's been awhile but nice bcs stadium;
air force - small but unintimidating;
missouri - step back to the 50s;
tcu - very much like 'the bill' without the atmosphere;
texas - mammoth digs - friendly, classy fans;
aTm - mammoth digs, odd fans, and weird fight song that's all about texas not aTm: https://youtu.be/6h7T_zbPGBw
stanford - the most uninspiring atmosphere ever;
army/navy jfk stadium - the rivalry is unmatchable;
notre dame - the holy grail of college football experiences;
purdue - like ku, just waiting for hoops season;
indiana - very pretty in brown county but football sucks;
northwestern - just awful high school like crib and environment;
arizona state - huge stadium with a pro feel.

Notre Dame and Army/Navy are on the bucket list
These users thanked the author topekacat for the post:
tmcats

NatCat2
Has thanked: 0

Post by NatCat2 » February 28th, 2024, 3:08 pm

A couple of small NAIA venues that I found enjoyable were the Oak Bowl in Peru Nebraska. Small town of less than 1,000 all turning out for the Peru State football game in a picturesque setting of oaks surrounding the football field as part of the stadium.
Another is Central Methodist in Fayette Missouri. Another small town of 2,500 turning out for the home team in a beautiful campus and town of rolling hills and black oaks.
The local fans were friendly at both places. Also I’d add that players at the NAIA level are playing for joy of playing football.
These users thanked the author NatCat2 for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 28th, 2024, 5:53 pm

NatCat2 wrote:
February 28th, 2024, 3:08 pm
A couple of small NAIA venues that I found enjoyable were the Oak Bowl in Peru Nebraska. Small town of less than 1,000 all turning out for the Peru State football game in a picturesque setting of oaks surrounding the football field as part of the stadium.
Another is Central Methodist in Fayette Missouri. Another small town of 2,500 turning out for the home team in a beautiful campus and town of rolling hills and black oaks.
The local fans were friendly at both places. Also I’d add that players at the NAIA level are playing for joy of playing football.
further to that train of thought, st. john's is a small college powerhouse located just outside of st. cloud, mn. have not seen a game there but looked down over their stadium and it's sweet.

Why is there something rather than nothing?

Snyder

Post by Snyder » February 29th, 2024, 10:14 am

tmcats wrote:
February 28th, 2024, 5:53 pm
NatCat2 wrote:
February 28th, 2024, 3:08 pm
further to that train of thought, st. john's is a small college powerhouse located just outside of st. cloud, mn. have not seen a game there but looked down over their stadium and it's sweet.

Had a buddy who played for legendary coach John Gagliardi at St. John's and loved it. He was a unique coach. Did not want his players to call him coach. No tackling ever in practice (Which were usually an hour) and did not do all the old school type things associated with macho football. Gagliardi had dominant D-3 program for a long time.
These users thanked the author Snyder for the post (total 2):
tmcatsstlcatfan