WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Re: 2024 expectations ...

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 14th, 2024, 8:22 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 11:35 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 8:53 pm

Our RB recruiting is perplexing. We have a few studs and what I perceive as a bunch of duds (good kids, but not P5 RBs). Then we sign guys like Deuce and DJ, who are NFL studs. How can the RB evaluations be that far off between the studs and duds? The Rice kid may still be too young to say he is a stud or dud. Just perplexing...
Lack of experience behind DJ at RB is my biggest concern. Jackson and White each had a few carries last season, but mostly in mop-up duty. I hope guys like Rice and Price develop well. Overall, the running back room is pretty young and inexperienced.
And small/light - DJ is the heaviest at 212. Yes I know KSU is small back U.

We need 1500 to 1800 yards from the RBs. If we get back to the Colin Klein era of depending on the QB for rushing yards I am scared to death Mr Johnson will not last.

Also, no surprise, there is not a Fullback listed on the roster.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 14th, 2024, 9:54 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 8:22 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
April 10th, 2024, 11:35 pm

Lack of experience behind DJ at RB is my biggest concern. Jackson and White each had a few carries last season, but mostly in mop-up duty. I hope guys like Rice and Price develop well. Overall, the running back room is pretty young and inexperienced.

We need 1500 to 1800 yards from the RBs. If we get back to the Colin Klein era of depending on the QB for rushing yards I am scared to death Mr Johnson will not last.

I don't see HCCK trying to turn Avery Johnson into a Colin Klein-like battering ram. They can call some random QB runs every now & then to keep the D honest. And of course allow our QB to improvise on some broken plays. But I don't see the coaching staff overusing the QB run game if they want AJ to remain healthy the entire season.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 15th, 2024, 10:22 am

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
powercat5000
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 15th, 2024, 12:18 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 9:54 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 8:22 pm

I don't see HCCK trying to turn Avery Johnson into a Colin Klein-like battering ram. They can call some random QB runs every now & then to keep the D honest. And of course allow our QB to improvise on some broken plays. But I don't see the coaching staff overusing the QB run game if they want AJ to remain healthy the entire season.
KSU B, the Pop Tarts Bowl certainly would support your point.

It is very tempting when the OC knows that on 3rd and less than 5 Avery Johnson running is statistically the best chance to pick up a first down.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 15th, 2024, 12:28 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 15th, 2024, 10:22 am
Many ways to spin KU at 8.5.
- a very talented QB that has an injury history - take the under
- no true home games due to construction - take the under
- many talented returnees - take the over
- lost many assistant coaches - take the under
- relatively easy schedule - take the over
- KU FB history would push the naive to take the under

I am bias, but the no home games leads me to take the under. The Iowa State game in Arrowhead could be the turning point for the KU season.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
tmcatsstlcatfan

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » April 15th, 2024, 12:35 pm

I think how we run Avery is very important. If we roll him out and he has an open path then no problem. Either get down or get out of bounds before taking the hit. With Avery's running ability a touchdown is always just a couple blocks away. His running needs to be used judiciously but the threat of the big play is always there and foremost in the minds of the defense. What he does reminds me of the way Michael Bishop used to play cat and mouse with the opponents. Just the threat of the run will keep them in football purgatory. He just needs to remember to err on the side of caution. Maintaining his health is job one.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
tmcatsstlcatfan

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » April 15th, 2024, 1:30 pm

Don't think there will be a lot of called straight QB runs this year. Maybe some RPO's but I am guessing his runs will be more of if it isn't open run it on roll outs and such. 190 lb QB can't take hits like Howard or Klein or Even Bishop, etc. Not built the same. But the speed and vision of his running is elite for a QB. I am really interested in how Wells puts his spin on the offense as a "proven" QB guy.
These users thanked the author Watutalkaboutwillis for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 15th, 2024, 2:22 pm

i have to pinch myself to remember that the last vestige of bill snyder's playbook is now gone and coaching at aTm.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » April 15th, 2024, 2:41 pm

Trust me, our staff is coaching Avery up in terms of knowing when/how to get down.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 16th, 2024, 10:28 am

K-State returns 49 letterwinners, including 15 starters and 11 players that earned 2023 All-Big 12 recognition on a team that finished 9-4 overall and 6-3 in the Big 12 and won six of its final eight games. D. Scott Fritchen
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
CatTracks