more than random minutia, unionizing college sports ...

The defending Big XII Champions
stlcatfan

Re: more than random minutia, unionizing college sports ...

Post by stlcatfan » March 15th, 2024, 3:28 pm

katlander wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 1:51 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
February 7th, 2024, 2:45 pm
The way things seem to be shaping up, at least for the foreseeable future, there will be four tiers to Division I college football (based on TV revenue).

Top tier (i.e., the rich) -- Big Ten and SEC

Tier II (i.e., the upper middle class) -- Big 12 and ACC

Tier III (i.e., the lower middle class) -- G5 conferences

Tier IV (i.e., the poor) -- FCS conferences

I think K-State and the Big 12 will be fine in the near-term. We will be getting paid more money under our new contract that runs through (I think) 2031. The average number that is being thrown around right now is a little north of $50 million per school per year with our new contract.

NDSU and other FCS schools may not get the major TV $$$ like the FBS schools, but they have a loyal following and play a good brand of football. As the movement of FBS conferences from amateur to semi-professional picks up steam, I think more college sports fans will desire something like the FCS setup, even if it means losing out on top talent. JMO.
This seems logical and may even be better than the current set up where it is basically the same 20 teams in the playoffs year after year.
Based on this recent news, I may have to modify my projections down a little bit for everyone who is not in the Big Ten and SEC. I wouldn't be surprised if the big boys decided to have unequal revenue sharing in the P2 as well. They could rationalize that it's schools like Michigan, Ohio State, and Texas that bring in the big money so schools like Minnesota, Indiana, Vandy, and Mississippi State should be willing to accept less money. The rich get richer.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 16th, 2024, 9:49 am

stlcatfan wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 3:28 pm
katlander wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 1:51 pm

This seems logical and may even be better than the current set up where it is basically the same 20 teams in the playoffs year after year.
Based on this recent news, I may have to modify my projections down a little bit for everyone who is not in the Big Ten and SEC. I wouldn't be surprised if the big boys decided to have unequal revenue sharing in the P2 as well. They could rationalize that it's schools like Michigan, Ohio State, and Texas that bring in the big money so schools like Minnesota, Indiana, Vandy, and Mississippi State should be willing to accept less money. The rich get richer.

Right. They think we are getting their money. They actually do not want a fair and level playing field. They want to lever their power to force the rest of us to acquiesce. They want control and will divide the money as they see fit. I say get away from them ASAP and go back to amateurism. I think that is what the fans want.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanDeereCatFankswildcat

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » March 27th, 2024, 9:15 am

Yes, back to college amateurism as college athletics was meant to be!
These users thanked the author kswildcat for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 27th, 2024, 9:48 am

kswildcat wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:15 am
Yes, back to college amateurism as college athletics was meant to be!
In today's Daily Delivery episode, Fitz was mentioning how the courts have made it so there are no longer any rules and regulations involving transfers and NIL. The football transfer portal reopens on April 15 and coaches are saying it could be a bloodbath because of the amount of tampering now happening in college football. There are kids on rosters right now going through spring practice, but are being courted by other programs with promises of big NIL $$$. A team could potentially be gutted of its top players. Hopefully, we will not be too affected by this.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
kswildcat
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln