more than random minutia, unionizing college sports ...

The defending Big XII Champions
Ksuminnesotacat

Re: more than random minutia, unionizing college sports ...

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » February 7th, 2024, 2:53 pm

Then if an upper tier institution wants to poach ie pay for talent from a lower tier institution. There needs to be a trade ie monetary or otherwise comp to the lower tier just like the nfl……
These users thanked the author Ksuminnesotacat for the post:
stlcatfan

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » February 7th, 2024, 4:21 pm

Why are they cooking the Golden Goose. Do the powers at be not realize what is happening and where it will lead?
Well I'll enjoy it while it lasts.
I've said many times on here before schools need to break out into Amateur (Student Athletes, scholarships like it was + stipend I guess) and semi-pro (NIL, union and all that crap). I'd be fine with probably lesser talent. I also believe we'd get a lot less of the celebration crap that is getting WAY carried away.
So this union crap - So when on strike do the scabs just come from the stands or coaching staff or where? Do they also just stop going to school? Sounds like a great idea for the future of this country.
These users thanked the author DeereCatFan for the post:
stlcatfan

Ksuminnesotacat

Post by Ksuminnesotacat » February 8th, 2024, 9:18 am

The only institution in this country not self immolating and decaying is politics and the political connected …….think about that. This includes critical industries as well.

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 8th, 2024, 12:00 pm

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/m ... 501606007/

Three of the top television companies in American sports delivered a bombshell announcement Tuesday that said they were forming a joint “all-in-one” streaming service that will provide sports content from all the major pro sports leagues, plus college football, college basketball and more.

The joint venture would be offered directly to consumers and will include ESPN+, plus access to 14 linear networks: ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, SECN, ACCN, ESPNEWS, ABC, FOX, FS1, FS2, Big Ten Network, TNT, TBS and truTV.

By joining together online, they’re also not competing against each other for subscribers and instead are sharing them. This has the added benefit of creating a streaming service that has all of this content on one app instead of forcing viewers to subscribe to multiple services and toggle between them online

Soooooo...
One giant sports network, then a super sports conference, and then college student athletes having a good reason to unionize.

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » February 9th, 2024, 2:35 am

So I am curious what that cost will be for this service $40+ sounds like? More than likely if I were to purchase it, I would be paying for sports I could give 2 shits about such as NBA. Who Id rather not give a friggin dime to because they’re in Chinas pocket among other things I completely disagree with them on. I’m also not a pro sports fan of any sort. I assume the pay packages for each sport would be based on viewership. NFL isn’t going to want to pay for lack of viewership in other sports etc…
Lastly sports isn’t anywhere near all I watch. College football about it. I watch movies, outdoors crap and several others. So I have to pay $40 something plus a Hulu or YouTube subscription. Paying about as much as I pay for cable currently. Sounds awesome.

They may be trying to ween me off sports completely. It’s sure feeling that way
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 15th, 2024, 9:23 am

Well, it looks like the rest of the non-P2 FBS conferences have acquiesced and will sign onto the CFP proposal laid out by the SEC and Big Ten leadership. So ridiculous! I was really hoping that the other conferences would at a minimum, push back for a fairer distribution against an obvious money grab by the P2. And if the P2 refused to budge, tell them to take a hike (putting it nicely).

I was hoping that the P2 would leave the NCAA and do their "mini NFL" thing with unionized player employees and let the rest of us get back to having student-athletes and playing traditional college football. Oh well. Another nail in the coffin for college sports. :|
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » March 15th, 2024, 12:47 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 9:23 am
Well, it looks like the rest of the non-P2 FBS conferences have acquiesced and will sign onto the CFP proposal laid out by the SEC and Big Ten leadership. So ridiculous! I was really hoping that the other conferences would at a minimum, push back for a fairer distribution against an obvious money grab by the P2. And if the P2 refused to budge, tell them to take a hike (putting it nicely).

I was hoping that the P2 would leave the NCAA and do their "mini NFL" thing with unionized player employees and let the rest of us get back to having student-athletes and playing traditional college football. Oh well. Another nail in the coffin for college sports. :|
Is this the one where they get 58% of the revenue, Big12 and ACC get 32% , notre dame gets 9.99% and the rest get 0.01%? Just curious they are coming up with so many different ways to bend over the rest of the colleges and universities I can't keep track.
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 15th, 2024, 1:16 pm

DeereCatFan wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 12:47 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
March 15th, 2024, 9:23 am

Is this the one where they get 58% of the revenue, Big12 and ACC get 32% , notre dame gets 9.99% and the rest get 0.01%? Just curious they are coming up with so many different ways to bend over the rest of the colleges and universities I can't keep track.
Yep. That's the one. Apparently, Yormark was trying to negotiate a "look-in" in 2027 or 2028 to see if any adjustments need to be made based on realignment, which lead some to believe that the Big 12 may be able to pick up some ACC schools after the top tier of the ACC are poached away. Of course, the same thing could happen to the Big 12 again.

Still, it will hardly make up for the fact that the Big Ten and SEC will make far and away more $$$ from the CFP every season, in addition to them make significantly more than everyone else in TV money. I think they also are still negotiating on how many teams from each conference can get automatic bids. Of course, the SEC and Big Ten are pushing for multiple auto bids as well as at-large berths. One report I saw said that there was also a push to have the Big Ten and SEC champs get automatic first round byes. I don't know where things stand on that. Hopefully, it gets shot down.

And the whole semi-pro thing bugs me. I watch college football because it is not the NFL. At least the NFL has equal revenue sharing, salary caps, and the same TV deal. None of that will be the case with "college" football. The whole system is being rigged to allow the big boys the ability to outspend everyone else for players, who will no longer be students, but unionized employees of the schools. How are most athletic departments outside of the Big Ten and SEC going to be able to afford to pay these players? If we thought college football was top-heavy before, well we ain't seen nothing yet.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
DeereCatFan
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 15th, 2024, 1:51 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
February 7th, 2024, 2:45 pm
The way things seem to be shaping up, at least for the foreseeable future, there will be four tiers to Division I college football (based on TV revenue).

Top tier (i.e., the rich) -- Big Ten and SEC

Tier II (i.e., the upper middle class) -- Big 12 and ACC

Tier III (i.e., the lower middle class) -- G5 conferences

Tier IV (i.e., the poor) -- FCS conferences

I think K-State and the Big 12 will be fine in the near-term. We will be getting paid more money under our new contract that runs through (I think) 2031. The average number that is being thrown around right now is a little north of $50 million per school per year with our new contract.

NDSU and other FCS schools may not get the major TV $$$ like the FBS schools, but they have a loyal following and play a good brand of football. As the movement of FBS conferences from amateur to semi-professional picks up steam, I think more college sports fans will desire something like the FCS setup, even if it means losing out on top talent. JMO.
This seems logical and may even be better than the current set up where it is basically the same 20 teams in the playoffs year after year.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
stlcatfan

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 15th, 2024, 2:55 pm

A solution to all this is taxation.

Just tax all institutions, student athletes, athletic departments at rates that will result in equal expendable revenue. This is not new. Same philosophy as a progressive income tax.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
stlcatfan