The defending Big XII Champions
topekacat

Re: KSU Portal - Where Are They Now

Post by topekacat » January 5th, 2024, 1:52 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:47 pm
topekacat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:44 pm

We say the same thing every year. These stats are from Ryan Wallace over at the GPC page and show the receiving leaders over the past 5 years. Not exactly dynamic.

2023 = Ben Sinnott (676)
2022 = Malik Knowles (725)
2021 = Phillip Brooks (543)
2020 = Deuce Vaughn (434)
2019 = Dalton Schoen (579)
It's a beautiful sight
These users thanked the author topekacat for the post (total 2):
randallcat85powercat5000

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 5th, 2024, 1:54 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 10:54 am
katlander wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:52 am
I don't think it would be wise to insert Avery into Will Howard's offense. He is a much different quarterback than Will. We need an offense which allows him to utilize his talent and expand his game going forward. More movement, athleticism and QB run game is what will set Avery apart.

His runs should utilize his speed and sliding and or getting out of bounds to avoid contact. I like the idea of many receivers, an empty backfield and short passes to create a fast paced attack which keeps defenses on their heels and wears down the pass rush. I think Avery is a quick thinker who will make intuitive decisions that will compliment a fast pace attack.

Hopefully we are not disappointed, but I expect AJ to be to the QB position what Deuce was at running back.
================
I respectfully totally disagree. We need to run a Pro-Style Offense and Avery needs to learn to throw from the pocket. We need to protect him and develop his skills so there are big plays both passing and running.

One of the negatives from the Klein era was we never ran the ball well from the RB position in the years that followed.
I respectfully disagree. :lol: Not totally, but our offense, imo, needs to be a mix of both. Avery needs to learn to be a pocket passer, but if we aren't intentionally using his legs 6-8 times per game, then we aren't getting the full benefit of having him as our QB. He is so much different from Klein and Will. Those 2 were going to take big hits because they weren't as elusive. AJ could run it 50 times and take 2 big hits, whereas, those other 2 were going to take 15. Not to mention, making a DC plan for designed QB runs helps our passing game, if we spread the field and get favorable matchups, specifically, a lot of 1 on 1's in the open field. This is exactly what the KU OC has been really, really good at the last 2 years. We need to get the tall lanky guys who can win 50/50 balls most of the time, which KU had and we can't seem to get. When we get that (and maybe we do in Spivey and the other 6"3" freshman), along with Avery's legs, and a stout OL, this offense will be a real headache. We also desperately need to find a WR that is a deep threat. When Avery is surrounded by WR's who can separate and/or win jump balls , and big, tough O linemen, he will be unstoppable, but I believe we are screwing up if we aren't designing a few run plays every game for him. He is an average passer (might develop in this aspect), but he might be "the best" running QB. You can't be afraid to use that. Snyder finally realized that simplifying the offense and letting Bishop be an athlete was our best bet because he was "the best" QB in America with his legs. Spreading the field with an empty backfield on 1st down's so that Avery can throw or scramble would be a wise OC move to do multiple times per game, imo. That is a lot of pressure on a defense.
Last edited by wild@nite on January 5th, 2024, 3:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post (total 4):
bhoovypharaohcatrandallcat85Tbonespop

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 5th, 2024, 2:18 pm

Avery is a home run hitter. His running ability is just too good to not use it. The defense will have to make adjustments which will help in other areas of the offense. We may have to be extra careful this year, at least until we have a capable back-up ready to go. But at some point we are going to have to turn Avery loose.

Hopefully Avery will be able to be a pocket passer as well as a pass on the go guy. His ability to elude and escape the rush should be an asset to pocket passing if used correctly. He is a guy who can escape and keep his eyes down field to stretch the play which should be the first focus. If, still, nobody is open and defenders have a bead on him he can throw it away. But when he sees daylight he should not hesitate to put the peddle to the metal.

His ability to run will make a lot of things possible. I can visualize a play like this. Avery fakes it to Giddens off left tackle, then rolls to the right like he is looking to run it. He then stops, turns, and throws across the field to a wide-open Giddens, or someone else on the other side of the field. Just like Bishop he will be able to keep the D off-balance.

I think Avery can do it all and has the cognitive ability to make good decisions and be amazing, and I think we will see it soon.

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » January 5th, 2024, 2:51 pm

There is ZERO chance we convert to a Pro-style offense under Klieman, 0%. Not even worth discussing. Our offense sputters against every team on the schedule when we have "no threat" of a QB run. Our offense requires the use of the QB run and always needs a threat of a QB run in order to do the other things we do in our offense.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
wild@nite
EMAW

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 5th, 2024, 4:44 pm

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/ye ... iving.html

I offer for your use this dandy web site that you can change in the heading.
- DJ Giddens #7 Rusher in CFB and #9 overall yards from scrimmage.
- Mr Sinnott 120th Receiver in CFB
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85

epicsnyder

Post by epicsnyder » January 5th, 2024, 7:17 pm

topekacat wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:52 pm
tmcats wrote:
January 5th, 2024, 1:47 pm

It's a beautiful sight
Yep. Weak, When your TE, and even worse, your RB are your leading receivers, it's no wonder we can't get any real talent at WR to come here.
In a perfect world, everyone would choose hard work, morals and ethics over obscene money and fame. And everyone outside of Lowrents would be required to be a red blooded, card carrying Payhawk hater.

kstueve

Post by kstueve » January 5th, 2024, 7:27 pm

Malik Benson and Jerand Bradley are names being bandied about
These users thanked the author kstueve for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 8th, 2024, 4:31 pm

Bigmal234 (@Malcolm) posted: I’m back in the portal hit me up coaches.

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 8th, 2024, 4:59 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 8th, 2024, 4:31 pm
Bigmal234 (@Malcolm) posted: I’m back in the portal hit me up coaches.
Well, that was quick. I guess spring practices weren't going too well for him.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
tmcatsrandallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » March 8th, 2024, 7:45 pm

Strange