So where will the Jaysquawkers. mutant chickens, play next year?

The defending Big XII Champions
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Re: So where will the Jaysquawkers. mutant chickens, play next year?

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 18th, 2024, 7:05 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 18th, 2024, 12:20 pm

Jeff Fuller
@jjfuller72
New EADA data

Grand Total Athletic Revenue (survey year 2022 in Millions):

New-look Big12:

Kansas $ 206
TCU $ 149
Arizona $ 139
Baylor $ 137
Colorado $ 136
ASU $ 128
Texas Tech $ 124
Okla St $ 119
Utah $ 111
BYU $ 106
WVU $ 103
Kansas St $ 102
Iowa St $ 93
UCF $ 88
Houston $ 84
Cincy $ 77

Observations:
-Kansas had a HUGE jump up from $125M the prior year (assume this was mostly the fundraising and/or allocated dollars for the new FB Stadium)
-New 4 corner schools mostly in top half
-BYU/UCF/Houston/Cincy tracking lower partly due to relatively minimal conf payouts vs P5 conf teams & should rise as payouts rise (half share this summer & next; full-share after that)

Source EADA Website
https://ope.ed.gov/athletics
-Usually EADA data roughly matches USAToday/Sportico data listed as the next year (i.e. 2022 EADA survey year ~matches 2023 USAToday)
-EADA lists data for ALL schools while private schools don't report to USAToday/Sportico database
9:20 AM · Apr 18, 2024
·
Views
TM, I am not sure how the accounting rules work for the $50+$35 million grant the KU Athletic Department secured from the Commerce Department of the State of Kansas. If it is shown as "income" that pretty well explains the huge increase. I also remember they got a couple of $5-$10 million donations for the stadium.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post (total 2):
tmcatsrandallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 19th, 2024, 10:21 am

i looked at both k-state and ku equity in athletics disclosures.

k-state showed $65 million in revenue from sports and $38 million in not attributable income.
ku reported $72 million and $133 million for the two categories.

so the major reporting difference here is revenue from donations or transfer payments to athletics at ku, not operations. where the $133 million originated is not published.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
WildcatEngineerspot2180
Why is there something rather than nothing?

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 19th, 2024, 7:42 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:21 am

k-state showed $65 million in revenue from sports and $38 million in not attributable income.

so the major reporting difference here is revenue from donations or transfer payments to athletics at ku, not operations. where the $133 million originated is not published.
TM, which still could be the $85,000,000 in Grant money from the State.

It might be transfers from KU Endowment to build the stadium.

What is the capital debt for each Athletic Department? If that is in the report?
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
randallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 20th, 2024, 9:26 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 7:42 pm
tmcats wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 10:21 am

What is the capital debt for each Athletic Department? If that is in the report?
k-state long term debt is $60.3 million.

ku long term debt is $31.3 million + long term lease debt of $35.1 million - presumably for rock chalk park - totaling $66.4 million before taking on memorial field renovations since the report is for the period ending 2023. next year's report will be interesting from a debt perspective albeit much of the renovation is paid for by kansas taxpayers and ku endowment funds.
stlcatfanWildcatEngineer

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 20th, 2024, 2:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 9:26 am
WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 19th, 2024, 7:42 pm

ku long term debt is $31.3 million + long term lease debt of $35.1 million - presumably for rock chalk park - totaling $66.4 million before taking on memorial field renovations since the report is for the period ending 2023. next year's report will be interesting from a debt perspective albeit much of the renovation is paid for by kansas taxpayers and ku endowment funds.
TM, please correct me if my memory is jumbled, but I thought on one of your posts from probably a year ago KSU debt was in the $30 million range.

Different subject, but related - Does Kansas Board of Regents have over sight responsibility over KSU Foundation and KU Endowment. I read where KU Endowment is not subject to the open records act. Hence they could transfer funds to the Stadium/Gateway project covertly.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 21st, 2024, 9:24 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 2:17 pm
tmcats wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 9:26 am

TM, please correct me if my memory is jumbled, but I thought on one of your posts from probably a year ago KSU debt was in the $30 million range.

Different subject, but related - Does Kansas Board of Regents have over sight responsibility over KSU Foundation and KU Endowment. I read where KU Endowment is not subject to the open records act. Hence they could transfer funds to the Stadium/Gateway project covertly.
no, k-state's debt has not been in the 30s since currie's tenure and the capital projects boom. ku's debt has been around that number though. i suspect that's the confusion.

as to endowment oversight, the relationship between the regents and university endowments is not at all clear to me. generally, endowments are governed directly by separate boards, not regents. my experience has been that regents are a political body (governor appointments) more than a functional unit like say a corporate board of directors. regents rubber stamp a lot of stuff. the work is done by others.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 21st, 2024, 10:26 am

tmcats wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 9:24 am
WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 20th, 2024, 2:17 pm

no, k-state's debt has not been in the 30s since currie's tenure and the capital projects boom. ku's debt has been around that number though. i suspect that's the confusion.

as to endowment oversight, the relationship between the regents and university endowments is not at all clear to me. generally, endowments are governed directly by separate boards, not regents. my experience has been that regents are a political body (governor appointments) more than a functional unit like say a corporate board of directors. regents rubber stamp a lot of stuff. the work is done by others.
TM, thank you,
Endowment/Foundation gets into politics, so I will reduce my post on that. But they are huge amounts of money and how/who decides when/where they are allocated just seems murky at all major Universities.

NatCat2
Has thanked: 0

Post by NatCat2 » April 21st, 2024, 11:17 am

Dry wall for the restroom walls?
Sounds like they’re replacing an old dump with a new dump.
These users thanked the author NatCat2 for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanwazucat

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 21st, 2024, 12:20 pm

NatCat2 wrote:
April 21st, 2024, 11:17 am
Dry wall for the restroom walls?
Sounds like they’re replacing an old dump with a new dump.
yes, and cement block exterior rather than limestone? good grief. :|
wazucatstlcatfan

wazucat

Post by wazucat » April 21st, 2024, 1:26 pm

:rofl: This would be pretty hilarious if it were not for the Kansas taxpayers getting screwed in the process. What a train wreck. All these disclosures coming out a drip at a time is delightful to this non Kansas taxpayer :popcorn: