Alarming KSU portal stat...

The defending Big XII Champions
Gorhoops

Re: Alarming KSU portal stat...

Post by Gorhoops » December 15th, 2023, 1:47 pm

I listened to the podcast yesterday and as I listened, I found myself kind of agreeing with Wallace and also not agreeing on everything he was saying. Yes, it is not awesome that we have turned over that many players, but I also think that there are so many variables that go into it that you can't put your finger on one thing that is causing the turnover.

Some of it is simply that guys we have signed have just not been good enough. He mentioned a Jordan Perry. Well, when I am watching us play early in the year and I see Jack Fabris out there at safety and Max Marsh and Matthew Maschmeier at safety, but never did I see Jordan Perry. That tells me he is just not good enough, not buying in enough, etc.

So should we stay with a guy like that and see if he develops, or just move on and see if you can improve on that scholarship either through the portal or the high school ranks? If we move off of a guy like Perry and add a guy like Sigle or Yeast or Hayes, even if they are one year guys, I will take that trade because if a guy like Perry is not even seeing the field on special teams, let along defense, in year 2 when we have had all kinds of playing time available at safety, when exactly is he going to be in the mix??

The thing is, this coaching staff plays a lot of guys. They play a lot more guys than Coach Snyder did, and it just seems like if guys get on the field, they can see a path to more future playing time. But if you "never" get on the field in year 2 or 3 or 4, fact is you are probably better off moving on, both as a player and as a staff.

Also, as we have seen, most of the time when guys have left, they have transferred down. There has only been a few rare occasions when guys have even transferred to a program as good as KSU. That tells me that a lot of those guys who we viewed as developmental players often didn't want to be developmental players. They felt they were good enough to play and when they went portal, it didn't work out all that often.

Quite honestly, when Ryan Wallace spelled out his ideal situation for KSU football as far as developing guys, to me it just did not seem realistic in this day and age of college football. It would be great if every freshman was willing to come in and redshirt, then develop, be 3rd team as a soph, backup or starter as a junior and senior. Sure, that would be great, but it really isn't reality in most situations. If those kids don't see a path to the field by the time they are in year 2, they are often heading the door. That is the current reality.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
randallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 15th, 2023, 2:39 pm

i have no clue who ryan wallace is or isn't. a talking head evidently. national or local?

anyway, i'm not into watching media dudes bloviate. did he do any benchmarking in his analysis with other p5 schools?
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 15th, 2023, 2:57 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 15th, 2023, 2:39 pm
i have no clue who ryan wallace is or isn't. a talking head evidently. national or local?

anyway, i'm not into watching media dudes bloviate. did he do any benchmarking in his analysis with other p5 schools?
Local, and yes, he said he compared us to other programs. I don't know who or where because I only listened to about 5 minutes of it. Just happened to catch that part. 5 minutes is about all I can stand to listen to anyone, honestly. Less if it's an ESPN douche who has no specific knowledge of any program outside of the bluebloods or a program they're pumping for a game.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post (total 2):
tmcatsrandallcat85

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » December 15th, 2023, 3:15 pm

I think Ryan Wallace is pretty good at what he does. He is mainly the KSU go-to for recruiting for GoPowerCat. He will often do pods with the KU recruiting guy and another recruiting guy and they talk a lot about local kids and it is always very informative if you enjoy Kansas/KC high school football.

He also was adamant on the podcast yesterday that he would stay in his lane and talk about the football angles because that is what he knows and didn't want to talk about the Tomlin situation.

I like listening to stuff about KSU sports so I am going to listen to Fitz and his crew, DY, Kurtz and those guys, Joe Tillery, etc. I may not always agree with everything they say, but I would much rather listen to stuff about KSU than any national garbage.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 3):
randallcat85stlcatfankatlander

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 15th, 2023, 4:03 pm

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 4):
Tbonespoprandallcat85stlcatfanPurpleOnWhite

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 15th, 2023, 5:10 pm

Austin Moore
@austinmoore_21
Excited to announce that I will be returning to K-State next year for my final season of eligibility! Thankful to have one more year with my teammates, coaches, and K-State fans! Go Cats!

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 4):
Tbonespoprandallcat85stlcatfanPurpleOnWhite

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 15th, 2023, 5:37 pm

Some good news on a Friday!
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan
EMAW

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 17th, 2024, 10:36 am

wild@nite wrote:
December 14th, 2023, 5:11 pm
Just listened to Ryan Wallace on a podcast. He's concerned about the portal issues. He said he went back and looked at our 2020 and 2021 classes and we have an exit rate of 69.5%. 7 out of 10!!! Wow! He is concerned with this (as am I) because we are a "developmental" program. These are not good #'s. I don't care how you wanna try and slice it.

I remember Klieman saying in 2020 that he thought Manhattan would be a goldmine for NIL. I was like, huh? Compared to who? I'll say it again as I have in other threads. This current system isn't good for KSU. Something better change soon.

is ryan wallace, whoever that may be, is ryan still worried?

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 17th, 2024, 10:51 am

tmcats wrote:
April 17th, 2024, 10:36 am
wild@nite wrote:
December 14th, 2023, 5:11 pm
Just listened to Ryan Wallace on a podcast. He's concerned about the portal issues. He said he went back and looked at our 2020 and 2021 classes and we have an exit rate of 69.5%. 7 out of 10!!! Wow! He is concerned with this (as am I) because we are a "developmental" program. These are not good #'s. I don't care how you wanna try and slice it.

I remember Klieman saying in 2020 that he thought Manhattan would be a goldmine for NIL. I was like, huh? Compared to who? I'll say it again as I have in other threads. This current system isn't good for KSU. Something better change soon.

is ryan wallace, whoever that may be, is ryan still worried?

Ryan has tweeted a few times recently about liking the direction KSU is going with Clint Brown as the Director of Roster Management, Dmitri Donald hired yesterday in the recruiting office, etc.

Listening to Ryan I think he has just felt that KSU was a little slow to embrace how recruiting is done in today's college football. But he has given credit to many of the changes recently. I don't believe he is a KSU guy, but I think he is good at being pretty neutral in his evaluations. He isn't trying to be a shock jock or get clicks, and he isn't a homer, he just talks a lot about the local talent, that is why I like listening to him. He will go to all of the offseason combines and the camps and he will see a lot of high school games. He does his homework on these kids and I value his opinion on a lot of stuff, but I don't always agree.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 17th, 2024, 10:56 am

ryan and other media live off the work of others. it's amazing to me the market rewards their activity as it does, when fans can these days get the news directly from the horse's mouth and draw their own conclusions. but we've seen how effective they are in demonizing guys like the college president, bruce weber, and others. so i guess their interpretations for us work.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85