Avery Johnson

The defending Big XII Champions
SCKSCat

Re: Avery Johnson

Post by SCKSCat » December 24th, 2023, 3:00 pm

Avery is K State Wildcat proud. Clear down to core of his soul.
This is an intangible that is contagious. Playing for pride can be a mighty motivator.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 3):
randallcat85stlcatfanfarrout10

Catalum

Post by Catalum » December 25th, 2023, 10:17 am

Great piece on Avery. https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2023/ ... nning.aspx

We have a great young man representing K-State on and off the field.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post (total 3):
randallcat85stlcatfanfarrout10

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

farrout10

Post by farrout10 » December 25th, 2023, 1:08 pm

Initially concerned that we would hamper AJ's development with C. Riley as OC, I now believe that is the best scenario for the team and continuity. I believe AJ has the intelligence and confidence and physical skills to maximize anything Riley choreographs. I am now of the mind set that a new coordinator, from outside of the system, will be a possible hinderance to allowing AJ the freedom to run the show; add to that, the possible downplay of CR's importance.
These users thanked the author farrout10 for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

Upser67456

Post by Upser67456 » December 26th, 2023, 5:01 pm

farrout10 wrote:
December 25th, 2023, 1:08 pm
Initially concerned that we would hamper AJ's development with C. Riley as OC, I now believe that is the best scenario for the team and continuity. I believe AJ has the intelligence and confidence and physical skills to maximize anything Riley choreographs. I am now of the mind set that a new coordinator, from outside of the system, will be a possible hinderance to allowing AJ the freedom to run the show; add to that, the possible downplay of CR's importance.
How would a guy with actual playcalling (and most likely QB coaching) experience hinder AJ? I would imagine that 99% of QBs would rather have an experienced, proven playcaller

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 26th, 2023, 5:15 pm

Upser67456 wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 5:01 pm
farrout10 wrote:
December 25th, 2023, 1:08 pm
How would a guy with actual playcalling (and most likely QB coaching) experience hinder AJ? I would imagine that 99% of QBs would rather have an experienced, proven playcaller
An outside coach would be an unknown in terms of how they would operate within our system and would likely not know much about our offense at the very least initially it would be a huge learning curve. You don't think Riley hasn't ever called plays before? Its not rocket science. How about a play caller who actually knows the plays and the overall offense while being in the program for the last 5 years.... Riley has been a fantastic OL coach. I prefer the approach of hiring coordinators from within the program as a promotion then going outside the program to hire position coaches.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanspot2180randallcat85
EMAW

Upser67456

Post by Upser67456 » December 26th, 2023, 7:14 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 5:15 pm
Upser67456 wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 5:01 pm

An outside coach would be an unknown in terms of how they would operate within our system and would likely not know much about our offense at the very least initially it would be a huge learning curve. You don't think Riley hasn't ever called plays before? Its not rocket science. How about a play caller who actually knows the plays and the overall offense while being in the program for the last 5 years.... Riley has been a fantastic OL coach. I prefer the approach of hiring coordinators from within the program as a promotion then going outside the program to hire position coaches.
[/quote

Some of you guys make me want to hit my head against the wall. An outside OC would bring in his system. He shouldn't be expected to use our system.. That's how it works when you hire from the outside. obviously you want to hire someone with a similar philosophy. Every new OC requires a learning curve regardless. I guess if you're cool with running up the middle on first down, then definitely stay in house. Been that way for the last decade, regardless of the staff. Now isn't the time to try and unproven OC. This team has a chance to become the leader in the conference year in and year out. Id rather take my chance with someone with actual experience. While not rocket science, there's clearly more to it than just handing the ball off or throwing it to the TE.
These users thanked the author Upser67456 for the post:
randallcat85

farrout10

Post by farrout10 » December 26th, 2023, 8:31 pm

Upser67456 wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 7:14 pm
Tbonespop wrote:

[/quote

Some of you guys make me want to hit my head against the wall. An outside OC would bring in his system. He shouldn't be expected to use our system.. That's how it works when you hire from the outside. obviously you want to hire someone with a similar philosophy. Every new OC requires a learning curve regardless. I guess if you're cool with running up the middle on first down, then definitely stay in house. Been that way for the last decade, regardless of the staff. Now isn't the time to try and unproven OC. This team has a chance to become the leader in the conference year in and year out. Id rather take my chance with someone with actual experience. While not rocket science, there's clearly more to it than just handing the ball off or throwing it to the TE.
Conor Riley is a ‘Master of his coaching position’, he has been a MAJOR component of Chris Kleiman’s success; year after year building and rebuilding a high performance component of the offense. We have NO Idea of the intricacies and detail involved with what he does, “you can bet your last dollar’ that Chris Kleiman knows what Conor Riley is capable of doing and what his limitations are, after spending the last eleven years together. I’m TOTALLY okay with whatever CK determines to be the answer.
These users thanked the author farrout10 for the post (total 3):
randallcat85kswildcatstlcatfan

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 26th, 2023, 9:50 pm

Upser67456 wrote:
December 26th, 2023, 7:14 pm
Tbonespop wrote:

[/quote

1) Some of us on this board either are or have been football coaches before.
2) This is Klieman's team. Its his offense and his defense. The OC and DC get to implement their wrinkles, but its Klieman's offense and defense. The OC doesn't get to bring in a completely new system with him unless the HC wants that to happen. I don't see Klieman ever letting an OC come in with his whole brand new offense.
3) The belly option between the tackles call on first down of +90% of the opening drives has been a staple at KSU since Snyder 1.0. Don't expect that to change anytime soon. I bitch about it as much as everybody else does.
4) Offensive assistants that are in the booth are very important to any OC, and I don't think we are expecting much in the way of changes for the assistants. For example, the assistants will help an OC identify defensive keys and tendencies that could help with future play calls. Like when the OC calls a toss sweep to the right side, an assistant will key on the backside DE to see if they are staying home or are they over pursuing from the back side. The backside DE should "Stay home" until the ball cross the LOS, then they pursue at a 45 deg angle to support the play. But some aggressive DEs will decide to pursue from the backside when the action goes away from them. If they don't stay home, that is a tendency the assistant should pick up on because the defense is susceptible to a reverse on a future play call - because the DE will get caught in his over pursuit. These assistants are looking for defensive keys based on the plays the OC is calling to help the OC make future play calls. Good OCs are pretty versed in seeing these keys with minimal help, but it always helps to have the extra guys in the booth watching for defensive keys. This is where having an experienced coach from within the program that has been watching the keys for the previous 5 years is beneficial. Dialing up the plays, really isn't all that tough. You come in with a game plan and as the initial first few drives play out, you see what match ups are working and what aren't working. You see what the defense is doing to defend your plays and see where things could get exploited. Again, not rocket science.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
farrout10wild@nite
EMAW

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » December 26th, 2023, 11:18 pm

Avery now back to wearing the #2 jersey like he did in high school. Rubley did have #2.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » December 28th, 2023, 9:33 pm

Who cares about Tomlin when we have an Avery.