Pick 'Em

Re: Avery Johnson

Post by tmcats » December 21st, 2023, 1:19 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 1:17 pm
topekacat wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 12:11 pm

He compared him to a 6'4", 250lb QB?
It was pretty high praise, indeed. Not that Avery isn't good, it's just he's still relatively unproven and needs more experience at the College level; before he gets compared to a QB who was picked #4 in the First Round of the NFL 2023 Draft.
along that line, i remember all the praise jake rubley got coming out of high school. he attended one of those premiere qb camps and an analyst at the time said he was by far the best qb in the field. so yeah, we have to let it play out on the field. thankfully, we get an early look soon. can't wait.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
randallcat85KSUbetcha
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » December 21st, 2023, 4:21 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 1:19 pm
KSUbetcha wrote:

It was pretty high praise, indeed. Not that Avery isn't good, it's just he's still relatively unproven and needs more experience at the College level; before he gets compared to a QB who was picked #4 in the First Round of the NFL 2023 Draft.
along that line, i remember all the praise jake rubley got coming out of high school. he attended one of those premiere qb camps and an analyst at the time said he was by far the best qb in the field. so yeah, we have to let it play out on the field. thankfully, we get an early look soon. can't wait.
Agreed. It's like probably more than half the QBs taken in the NFL First Round end up being busts within 3 years. Even if a QB can perform in College, you never know how their game with transfer to the Pro level. Much similar to High School football stars performing well at the Collegiate level. You never know until they get there how they might perform. AJ's already shown traces of brilliance. He's just got to do it consistently enough so K-State can have success in 2024 and beyond. :geek:

Kstate00
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kstate00 » December 21st, 2023, 4:24 pm

A lot of it just depends on how well these QB'S are able to adapt to playing against bigger and faster players and having more complicated playbooks.

We'll see how good Avery ends up being but the fact he was able to see the field as much as he did during his true freshman year is a much better sign than Rubley.
These users thanked the author Kstate00 for the post (total 2):
tmcatsstlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 21st, 2023, 4:30 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 4:21 pm
tmcats wrote:

Agreed. It's like probably more than half the QBs taken in the NFL First Round end up being busts within 3 years. Even if a QB can perform in College, you never know how their game with transfer to the Pro level. Much similar to High School football stars performing well at the Collegiate level. You never know until they get there how they might perform. AJ's already shown traces of brilliance. He's just got to do it consistently enough so K-State can have success in 2024 and beyond. :geek:
i heard an nfl guy say the difference between college and the nfl is throwing to open guys v. throwing guys open. that always made a ton of sense to me and watching them transition in the league made it even clearer.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
KSUbetcha

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 21st, 2023, 4:41 pm

tmcats wrote:
KSUbetcha wrote:

By far the best QB in the field? What analyst said that? Maybe the best arm, but Rubley had more glaring weaknesses if you watch his HS tape. Avery is more instinctive, makes better decisions, and frankly looked like a higher level competitor in HS. I never did see much other than arm strength in Rubley when watching his HS tape.

Kstate00
Has thanked: 0

Post by Kstate00 » December 21st, 2023, 4:48 pm

wild@nite wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 4:41 pm
tmcats wrote:

By far the best QB in the field? What analyst said that? Maybe the best arm, but Rubley had more glaring weaknesses if you watch his HS tape. Avery is more instinctive, makes better decisions, and frankly looked like a higher level competitor in HS. I never did see much other than arm strength in Rubley when watching his HS tape.
While true however I always am a little concerned about Quarterbacks coming out of Kansas since Kansas Highschool football is about average in comparison to other states in the country. Not many Quarterbacks coming out of Kansas find a lot of success at the highest levels of college football.
These users thanked the author Kstate00 for the post:
wild@nite

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 21st, 2023, 5:57 pm

wild@nite wrote:
tmcats wrote:

idk who it was - it was an audio segment of b12 radio. that was three/four years ago. it was all over social media at the time. he said he was the best at that particular camp and to watch out for k-state. jake got tons of press.

K-State QB Commitment Rubley Impressive at Elite 11 Atlanta
Making the trek from Colorado to Atlanta to get work in with the prestigious Elite 11 staff, Jake Rubley's weekend was worth it after a strong impression Saturday.
JOHN GARCIA, JR.MAR 2, 2020

https://www.si.com/college/recruiting/f ... -impresses

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 21st, 2023, 6:02 pm

Kstate00 wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 4:48 pm
wild@nite wrote:

While true however I always am a little concerned about Quarterbacks coming out of Kansas since Kansas Highschool football is about average in comparison to other states in the country. Not many Quarterbacks coming out of Kansas find a lot of success at the highest levels of college football.
Agreed, but not many have had the athleticism and intangibles this kid has. No doubt he will make some mistakes, but Rubley didn't play great competition either and his stat lines were pretty pedestrian, but besides that, he just didn't jump out as dominant on film. Avery did and obviously, the staff thought he was already better as a true freshman. I wish Rubley well and I think he nade a great decision for his future.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » December 21st, 2023, 6:06 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 5:57 pm
wild@nite wrote:

idk who it was - it was an audio segment of b12 radio. that was three/four years ago. it was all over social media at the time. he said he was the best at that particular camp and to watch out for k-state. jake got tons of press.

Making the trek from Colorado to Atlanta to get work in with the prestigious Elite 11 staff, Jake Rubley's weekend was worth it after a strong impression Saturday.

I know Jake competed in the elite 11, but "by far the best"? I didn't see that in this article. I can't believe that was said unless it was about his arm He had a good arm and honestly, he wasn't very impressive outside of that. Pretty average everywhere else on tape. Obviously, not much changed or he wouldn't have been unseated by a true freshman.
Last edited by wild@nite on December 21st, 2023, 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 21st, 2023, 6:19 pm

wild@nite wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 6:06 pm
tmcats wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 5:57 pm

I know Jake competed in the elite 11, but "by far the best"? I didn't see that in this article. I can't believe that was said. He had a good arm and honestly, he wasnt very impressive outside of that. Pretty average everywhere else on tape. Obviously, not much changed or he wouldn't have been unseated by a true freshman.
well, i'm sure you're right, wild.