wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: Avery Johnson

Post by wild@nite » December 21st, 2023, 6:44 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 6:19 pm
wild@nite wrote:
December 21st, 2023, 6:06 pm

I know Jake competed in the elite 11, but "by far the best"? I didn't see that in this article. I can't believe that was said. He had a good arm and honestly, he wasnt very impressive outside of that. Pretty average everywhere else on tape. Obviously, not much changed or he wouldn't have been unseated by a true freshman.
well, i'm sure you're right, wild.
:thumbsup: Just didn't think "by far the best there" sounded accurate, that's all.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
randallcat85

wazucat

Post by wazucat » December 22nd, 2023, 11:05 am

My eyes have told me what Avery can do at the college level. Cleaning out the backups via the transfer portal tells me what those up close and personal have seen on the practice field and in the QB meeting room. I have a not so bold prediction that NC State is going to learn soon what we all learned this season about AJ.
These users thanked the author wazucat for the post:
randallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 22nd, 2023, 11:29 am

wazucat wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 11:05 am
My eyes have told me what Avery can do at the college level. Cleaning out the backups via the transfer portal tells me what those up close and personal have seen on the practice field and in the QB meeting room. I have a not so bold prediction that NC State is going to learn soon what we all learned this season about AJ.
this is the only thing holding my interest in the bowl game, see avery at the helm. we used to go to every one, two cotton bowls, the fiesta, and so on. but i didn't give a second thought to following the cats to orlando because the games are so meaningless now with the cfp. thankfully, that format is expanding to twelve next year.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
wazucat
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » December 22nd, 2023, 12:21 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 11:29 am
wazucat wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 11:05 am
this is the only thing holding my interest in the bowl game, see avery at the helm. we used to go to every one, two cotton bowls, the fiesta, and so on. but i didn't give a second thought to following the cats to orlando because the games are so meaningless now with the cfp. thankfully, that format is expanding to twelve next year.
With the entire offensive line playing, I look forward to Avery playing well behind it. He has two young recievers to throw to.
His future is dependent on having a good O line
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
PurpleOnWhiterandallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 22nd, 2023, 12:30 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 12:21 pm
tmcats wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 11:29 am

With the entire offensive line playing, I look forward to Avery playing well behind it. He has two young recievers to throw to.
the o'line has been a strength throughout klieman's tenure. connor riley seems to be an elite o'line coach both in recruiting and development.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 4):
PurpleOnWhiteKSUbetchastlcatfanbahweepgronnaweep

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 22nd, 2023, 3:55 pm

tmcats wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 12:30 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
December 22nd, 2023, 12:21 pm

the o'line has been a strength throughout klieman's tenure. connor riley seems to be an elite o'line coach both in recruiting and development.
Spot on TM. I was really conerned when Charlie Dickey moved on and didn't think he would be easy to replace as he was a very good OL coach. Coach Riley has been just as good if not a fair amount better. There have been times this past season where the OL wasn't reaching their potential, but I don't put that all on him. IMO, that was an effort issue not a coaching or coordination issue. Since Riley has been here, this OL has been very good every year. I expect that to continue in the future.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 3):
tmcatsstlcatfanrandallcat85
EMAW

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » December 23rd, 2023, 2:48 pm

Teams talk about "putting a spy" on running QB's. Sometimes it works, but many times it doesn't, especially if the QB has elite passing skills. If you lock down a DB or LB to concentrate on containing the QB, that tends to leave holes that RBs & WRs can exploit. I hope that our coaches can take advantage of this strategy if it happens. It will be an interesting game, especially to see how NC State will try and defend AJ in the Pop Tarts Bowl.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanrandallcat85bahweepgronnaweep

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » December 23rd, 2023, 3:05 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
December 23rd, 2023, 2:48 pm
Teams talk about "putting a spy" on running QB's. Sometimes it works, but many times it doesn't, especially if the QB has elite passing skills. If you lock down a DB or LB to concentrate on containing the QB, that tends to leave holes that RBs & WRs can exploit. I hope that our coaches can take advantage of this strategy if it happens. It will be an interesting game, especially to see how NC State will try and defend AJ in the Pop Tarts Bowl.
remember someone doing that to avery only to have him run forward then pitch it over the middle to garrett oakley for a nice gain. cannot remember which game that was? oakley is going to be just like sinnott before it's all said and done.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 4):
Tbonespopstlcatfanrandallcat85kswildcat

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » December 23rd, 2023, 3:26 pm

Avery throws well enough to have to keep teams honest. As he refines his passing ability, he will become even more dangerous. I just pray we can keep the kid healthy.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 4):
stlcatfanrandallcat85bahweepgronnaweepkswildcat
EMAW

bahweepgronnaweep

Post by bahweepgronnaweep » December 23rd, 2023, 3:50 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
December 23rd, 2023, 3:26 pm
Avery throws well enough to have to keep teams honest. As he refines his passing ability, he will become even more dangerous. I just pray we can keep the kid healthy.
I am similarly optimistic. My only concern is that we hype him up too much. He's still young and going to make some mistakes along the way, but it's hard to contain my excitement.
These users thanked the author bahweepgronnaweep for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanTbonespoprandallcat85