Avery Johnson

The defending Big XII Champions
katlander

Pick 'Em

Re: Avery Johnson

Post by katlander » February 8th, 2024, 6:22 pm

New RB recruits John Price and De Von Rice may be good right away, but the one the intrigues me is Blake Barnett who is a blazer. He broke some of McCaffrey's records in Colorado. Now I know he is a QB recruit but why not utilize his extreme athleticism at RB or WR while Avery is our QB. Hopefully they will also try him at returner with his break away speed. Get this kid on the field. If we are not going to utilize his talents then red shirt him.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 8th, 2024, 8:27 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
February 7th, 2024, 9:12 am
I read through some of the posts on this page from right after the bowl game and noticed how some were discussing why other RB's didn't get any carries in the bowl game and that we needed to scour the portal for another RB.

Thought it interesting yesterday in Coach Riley's presser that he was asked that very thing, are you guys looking to add a RB from the portal and he said no, they feel really good about what they have in that room and unless something changed, like an surprise transfer, they were good at RB.

I know some were upset that Joe Jackson didn't get any run in the bowl game but it reminded me that I was upset at the end of the bowl game against LSU two years ago that Jordan Schippers got a few carries but DJ Giddens never saw the field, I thought that was concerning as it related to DJ. But then 2022 rolled around and DJ was outstanding in his time filling in for Deuce, so maybe what happened in the bowl game really didn't have a whole lot of impact on whether Joe Jackson or someone else will be in the mix next season.
I'm still concerned about running back until I see it with my own eyes. I do value the optimism. To your point though, in my opinion HCCK in the bowl game this year really wanted to win that game. It wasn't just an exhibition game. He was really soured on how the ISU game went and wanted to send out some special Seniors on a win instead of the debacle against ISU. I have no confirmation of such, but I have a hunch he ran off some players that were so soft on defense in that game. Just my gut speaking. That was an embarrassment to the program and those players deserved to get the boot. Glad the ones that are gone are gone - and several of them I was fans of up until that game. HCCK wanted to win that bowl game and didn't feel the need to play any young players for shits and gigs. They'll get their chance.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 5):
stlcatfanrandallcat85kswildcatwazucatfarrout10
EMAW

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 9th, 2024, 9:48 am

Tbonespop wrote:
February 8th, 2024, 8:27 pm
Gorhoops wrote:
February 7th, 2024, 9:12 am
I read through some of the posts on this page from right after the bowl game and noticed how some were discussing why other RB's didn't get any carries in the bowl game and that we needed to scour the portal for another RB.

Thought it interesting yesterday in Coach Riley's presser that he was asked that very thing, are you guys looking to add a RB from the portal and he said no, they feel really good about what they have in that room and unless something changed, like an surprise transfer, they were good at RB.

I know some were upset that Joe Jackson didn't get any run in the bowl game but it reminded me that I was upset at the end of the bowl game against LSU two years ago that Jordan Schippers got a few carries but DJ Giddens never saw the field, I thought that was concerning as it related to DJ. But then 2022 rolled around and DJ was outstanding in his time filling in for Deuce, so maybe what happened in the bowl game really didn't have a whole lot of impact on whether Joe Jackson or someone else will be in the mix next season.
I'm still concerned about running back until I see it with my own eyes. I do value the optimism. To your point though, in my opinion HCCK in the bowl game this year really wanted to win that game. It wasn't just an exhibition game. He was really soured on how the ISU game went and wanted to send out some special Seniors on a win instead of the debacle against ISU. I have no confirmation of such, but I have a hunch he ran off some players that were so soft on defense in that game. Just my gut speaking. That was an embarrassment to the program and those players deserved to get the boot. Glad the ones that are gone are gone - and several of them I was fans of up until that game. HCCK wanted to win that bowl game and didn't feel the need to play any young players for shits and gigs. They'll get their chance.

Yeah I am pretty sure Will Lee was done as soon as he showered after the ISU game, he is the one that it really seemed mailed it in at the end of they year and his uncle's dumb tweets over that next week or two pretty much confirmed that he was a cancer and needed to go. Not sure after that, I think they want Savage back and he was going to come back until a little birdy told someone in his camp that he could get some big $$$ in NIL, which it sounds like is why he left. Not sure of the others, I think Matlack just realized he was in the wrong defense, but Lee for sure was a "don't let the door hit you in the arse."
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 3):
stlcatfankswildcatrandallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 9th, 2024, 10:17 am

Gorhoops wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 9:48 am
Tbonespop wrote:

Yeah I am pretty sure Will Lee was done as soon as he showered after the ISU game, he is the one that it really seemed mailed it in at the end of they year and his uncle's dumb tweets over that next week or two pretty much confirmed that he was a cancer and needed to go. Not sure after that, I think they want Savage back and he was going to come back until a little birdy told someone in his camp that he could get some big $$$ in NIL, which it sounds like is why he left. Not sure of the others, I think Matlack just realized he was in the wrong defense, but Lee for sure was a "don't let the door hit you in the arse."
Will Lee was an athletic talent... for sure. He started off the year pretty good but progressively got worse as the year went by. His main problem was between his two ears. He was not a "team first" guy, and his effort in the Iowa State game was almost non-existent. Yes, was it darn cold out there? Certainly, all the players, coaches, and fans were cold. But players are expected to go out and play in extreme weather; it's football, not basketball. I've been cold and almost frostbitten, too, when I was standing guard duty in Germany in snow/sub-zero temperatures and also hot as Hades when I was in Iraq & Kuwait back in the day. But you deal with it and get through it. Some people just aren't resilient enough to deal with weather events but keep on doing their job regardless.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 3):
stlcatfankswildcatrandallcat85

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 9th, 2024, 3:03 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
Tbonespop wrote:

What was the gist of his uncle's tweets over the subsequent 1-2 weeks? I didn't see them as I'm not on X. FYI - one of my best friends/childhood buddy that I grew up playing sports with was Will's HS coach. He didn't start out screwed up but got there along the way. Incredibly soft though.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
randallcat85
EMAW

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 9th, 2024, 3:36 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 3:03 pm
Gorhoops wrote:

What was the gist of his uncle's tweets over the subsequent 1-2 weeks? I didn't see them as I'm not on X. FYI - one of my best friends/childhood buddy that I grew up playing sports with was Will's HS coach. He didn't start out screwed up but got there along the way. Incredibly soft though.
essentially said k-state was minor league and that others would be leaving too as a result.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » February 9th, 2024, 6:21 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 3:36 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 3:03 pm

essentially said k-state was minor league and that others would be leaving too as a result.
What an ass.....he's just bitter for all the times that KSU whooped Missouri's ass over the years.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan
EMAW

randallcat85

Post by randallcat85 » February 9th, 2024, 9:15 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
February 9th, 2024, 10:17 am
Gorhoops wrote:

Will Lee was an athletic talent... for sure. He started off the year pretty good but progressively got worse as the year went by. His main problem was between his two ears. He was not a "team first" guy, and his effort in the Iowa State game was almost non-existent. Yes, was it darn cold out there? Certainly, all the players, coaches, and fans were cold. But players are expected to go out and play in extreme weather; it's football, not basketball. I've been cold and almost frostbitten, too, when I was standing guard duty in Germany in snow/sub-zero temperatures and also hot as Hades when I was in Iraq & Kuwait back in the day. But you deal with it and get through it. Some people just aren't resilient enough to deal with weather events but keep on doing their job regardless.
Thank you for your service!
These users thanked the author randallcat85 for the post (total 3):
Tbonespopstlcatfankatlander