The Portal and Will Howard, is he looking for the best opportunity to gain 'NFL status'?

The defending Big XII Champions
Tbonespop

Re: The Portal and Will Howard, is he looking for the best opportunity to gain 'NFL status'?

Post by Tbonespop » April 13th, 2024, 11:53 am

For all the hype around OSU talent at WR and yes I get that a spring game gameplan is bland as dry wheat toast, the OSU WRs really struggle to get separation in 1 on 1 battles on the 1s versus 1s. OSU CBs are really good, granted they are allowed to play tight coverage.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post:
privyet
EMAW

privyet

Post by privyet » April 13th, 2024, 1:42 pm

Will looked good enough today to be #1. He is the most experienced and best under pressure. OSU has so much talent at RB and WR that he will be really successful. Devin Brown is good and freshman phenom Sayin outstanding but Will should prevail. That Ohio State defense is elite and Will passed test
These users thanked the author privyet for the post:
spot2180

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 13th, 2024, 4:39 pm

Will straight up #1, Brown solid #2 but will push Will if he isn't sharp. Sayin is talented but he needs time to develop IMO.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 4):
privyetspot2180stlcatfankatlander
EMAW

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 14th, 2024, 11:57 am

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State coach Ryan Day and offensive coordinator Chip Kelly said the Buckeyes are still not ready to name a starting quarterback coming out of Saturday's spring game.

Kansas State transfer Will Howard is battling junior Devin Brown and five-star freshman Julian Sayin, who originally signed with Alabama before enrolling at Ohio State. Sophomore Lincoln Kienholz and freshman Air Noland also got snaps in the spring game.

Howard, who started 12 games for Kansas State last season, completed 9 of 13 passes for 77 yards Saturday. Brown tossed the only touchdown pass. Sayin finished with a game-high passing 85 yards, but also threw a pick-six.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... pring-game
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

privyet

Post by privyet » April 14th, 2024, 1:02 pm

So, here is my take so far on Will.....He played with the 1st team and did well, but nothing special. None of them did because Ohio States defense is off the charts and just that elite. He completed 9-14 passes but most were swing passes ( which we all know about). short and intermediate were good and he still has inconsistencies in the deep throws (we know that). Being 1st team I think is what OSU thinks of him. Great experience, leadership, and toughness. He has been through adversary with the wildcats and still won the lead role..... Great character. I think Devin Brown, who is a real warrior, from what we have seen is 2nd fiddle. His game films and experience from the wildcats will be the difference.
kswildcat

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 14th, 2024, 6:56 pm

Most of Will's incompletions were red zone passes in the endzone that were fade routes to WRs who weren't remotely open in the least. Outside of the passing plays that were from the LOS around the 10 yard line, Will looked fine throwing and running their offense. OSU CBs were allowed to basically mug the Wrs in the spring game, so not much to take from it. WRs were rarely open.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
privyetkswildcat
EMAW

privyet

Post by privyet » April 15th, 2024, 7:26 am

Good observations, tbones....you are right
randallcat85

privyet

Post by privyet » April 15th, 2024, 3:26 pm

I have gone over and over viewing Will's TV games in 2022-23. at least half which in person i attended. And then the Texas, TCU and Missouri away games. So far, if he stays the course he should win the job, even though less than perfect......Will needs to improve his long passing abilities in the fall, something I feel he will do with this Lamborghini offense, not saying anything about that Lamborghini defense. They stated he is a perfect fit for Chip Kelly's offense with the RPO and progression skills, and most importantly his experience.....Out of jest I would say he looks better In purple and white than scarlet and gray,. But that's just me..He has all the tools ro be the QB for the best offense in CFB.
katlander

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 15th, 2024, 4:09 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 14th, 2024, 11:57 am
COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Ohio State coach Ryan Day and offensive coordinator Chip Kelly said the Buckeyes are still not ready to name a starting quarterback coming out of Saturday's spring game.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/s ... pring-game
That's probably smart on Coach Day's part. No sense in naming a starter right before the portal opens and risk losing one or more of your QBs.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

privyet

Post by privyet » April 20th, 2024, 4:34 pm

Some updates: Can Will help Ohio State win a national championship? Yes

This was said at a roundtable of OSU insiders after the spring game

Other questions they answere were:
"Is he an NFL QB? Probably not.

" Could he deliver for a less talented national contender.....Answer was NO.

My only answer to those negative predictions is how Will will upgrade his passing skills, both throwing the ball downfield and his consistency...... I think he is more than capable with that talent
These users thanked the author privyet for the post (total 2):
katlanderrandallcat85