The Portal and Will Howard, is he looking for the best opportunity to gain 'NFL status'?

The defending Big XII Champions
KSUbetcha

Re: The Portal and Will Howard, is he looking for the best opportunity to gain 'NFL status'?

Post by KSUbetcha » April 3rd, 2024, 9:01 pm

Tbonespop wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 10:05 pm
katlander wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 12:07 am
Just watched 3 k-State guys run the 40 at pro workouts. Brooks ran a 4.51, Pizzaro a 4.85 and Seth Porter a 4,51. Was surprised to see Seth as fast as Phillip.
Not surprised by Pizzaro, very surprised by Porter. Little surprised Brooks wasn't closer to the 4.4 range. Only off by 0.1 though, which isn't bad. I don't see any of those guys making rosters, even as undrafted free agents. Maybe Brooks could be a Wes Welker-type guy (who ran a 4.65 40 BTW). Wish all these guys the best.

Side note, I ran a hand timed 4.55-4.6 in college when I played rugby for KSU (at 195-200 lbs). :D
I can see Brooks making an NFL Roster, as a special teams player, especially as a returner. Think San Fran didn't want a guy with solid hands & high Special Teams IQ instead of Ray Ray trying to field that punt? That one play keyed the Chiefs' comeback.

With the new NFL kickoff rules having solid return guys will be at a premium.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
privyet

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » April 4th, 2024, 7:07 am

KSUbetcha wrote:
April 3rd, 2024, 9:01 pm
Tbonespop wrote:
March 30th, 2024, 10:05 pm

Not surprised by Pizzaro, very surprised by Porter. Little surprised Brooks wasn't closer to the 4.4 range. Only off by 0.1 though, which isn't bad. I don't see any of those guys making rosters, even as undrafted free agents. Maybe Brooks could be a Wes Welker-type guy (who ran a 4.65 40 BTW). Wish all these guys the best.

Side note, I ran a hand timed 4.55-4.6 in college when I played rugby for KSU (at 195-200 lbs). :D
I can see Brooks making an NFL Roster, as a special teams player, especially as a returner. Think San Fran didn't want a guy with solid hands & high Special Teams IQ instead of Ray Ray trying to field that punt? That one play keyed the Chiefs' comeback.

With the new NFL kickoff rules having solid return guys will be at a premium.

Neither here nor there, but Ray Ray HAD to try to field that punt, it clearly hit the heel of his teammate 5 yards in front of him. He had to try and field it, it was a live ball.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » April 4th, 2024, 1:02 pm

Will Howard vs. The Field
Heading into the Ohio State Spring game, it’s expected that Will Howard, the Kansas State transfer, will be the starting quarterback. The veteran comes in with the most experience and fits what Day and Chip Kelly are looking for in a quarterback.

However, there has been a lot of hype surrounding the depth of this quarterback room. Devin Brown has also been taking first-team reps and started the Spring as the leader. Lincoln Kienholz has been in the system and seemingly has just as high of a ceiling as any. The questions will be surrounding the freshmen.

Air Noland comes in as talented as any of the other signal-callers and Julian Sayin has been hyped up as possibly the most accurate of the bunch. Will any quarterback challenge Howard for the job?

Realistically, Howard has the job for this year. It would take an incredible performance from one of the other four to put doubt in Day’s mind. However, the stats at the Ohio State Spring game don’t matter. Case in point, Justin Fields‘ first Spring game was awful (4/13 passing with 131 yards and a score) and he ended up as one of the best quarterbacks in Ohio State history.

https://lastwordonsports.com/collegefoo ... -to-watch/
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
privyetKSUbetcha
Why is there something rather than nothing?

privyet

Post by privyet » April 6th, 2024, 6:33 am

Informative nice post, tmcats.
These users thanked the author privyet for the post:
tmcats

privyet

Post by privyet » April 7th, 2024, 9:14 am

The latest word is Will has moved ahead slightly of Devin Brown and the spring game is big, even though as tmcats said, it can be misleading. Fully expect to see him win the job.
katlander

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » April 7th, 2024, 12:34 pm

I haven't followed Howard new situation all that closely, but I have a feeling they aren't going to demote Will to second string this early on, knowing he could re-enter the transfer portal when it opens up again this month. Let's see what next fall brings. I still wish he would have gone the NFL Draft route. Going into the draft next year as a backup QB won't help his draft stock very much. Hopefully, that won't be the case for him.
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » April 7th, 2024, 1:22 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
April 7th, 2024, 12:34 pm
I haven't followed Howard new situation all that closely, but I have a feeling they aren't going to demote Will to second string this early on, knowing he could re-enter the transfer portal when it opens up again this month. Let's see what next fall brings. I still wish he would have gone the NFL Draft route. Going into the draft next year as a backup QB won't help his draft stock very much. Hopefully, that won't be the case for him.
Hope Will does well this year, regardless. But at OSU he'll likely have a smaller window to make miatakes before getting pulled than when he was at KSU.

I was impressed by young Avery Johnson's decision making in the bowl game on passing plays for the most part. He did really well at going through his progressions. He excelled at rolling out & running, or dumping the ball out of bounds when no one was open. Avery showed a high-IQ QB play for his first Bowl Game start.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanwazucat

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » April 7th, 2024, 8:44 pm

tmcats wrote:
April 4th, 2024, 1:02 pm
Will Howard vs. The Field
Heading into the Ohio State Spring game, it’s expected that Will Howard, the Kansas State transfer, will be the starting quarterback. The veteran comes in with the most experience and fits what Day and Chip Kelly are looking for in a quarterback.

However, there has been a lot of hype surrounding the depth of this quarterback room. Devin Brown has also been taking first-team reps and started the Spring as the leader. Lincoln Kienholz has been in the system and seemingly has just as high of a ceiling as any. The questions will be surrounding the freshmen.

Air Noland comes in as talented as any of the other signal-callers and Julian Sayin has been hyped up as possibly the most accurate of the bunch. Will any quarterback challenge Howard for the job?

Realistically, Howard has the job for this year. It would take an incredible performance from one of the other four to put doubt in Day’s mind. However, the stats at the Ohio State Spring game don’t matter. Case in point, Justin Fields‘ first Spring game was awful (4/13 passing with 131 yards and a score) and he ended up as one of the best quarterbacks in Ohio State history.

https://lastwordonsports.com/collegefoo ... -to-watch/
Sounds like quite the payroll. My guess in that $5M range for osu qb room. Rich get richer. Anyway I've never understood players piling the top talent at schools. Will may have a short leash of performance. Ive said before i hope Will exceeds and yet osu blows. I know a pipe dream. But cannot root for osu.
These users thanked the author DeereCatFan for the post:
stlcatfan

privyet

Post by privyet » April 10th, 2024, 8:41 am

Nice article about Will Howard on the front page of CBS sports CFB this morning...... Says that the spring game will focus primarily on the QB battle with repect to Howard. It says Will is a Chip Kelly type of QB with run heavy and a nice assortment of passes. Can't wait to see how he performs with those WR's, especially that freshman phenom Jeremiah Smith.
stlcatfan

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » April 13th, 2024, 10:47 am

Looking forward to watching some of the OSU spring game here in 15 minutes to see how Willard slings it. Hoping he does well. Rooting for you young man!
EMAW