The Portal and Will Howard, is he looking for the best opportunity to gain 'NFL status'?

The defending Big XII Champions
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: The Portal and Will Howard, is he looking for the best opportunity to gain 'NFL status'?

Post by tmcats » March 20th, 2024, 11:55 am

wild@nite wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 11:40 am
Does it matter? It's the general principle of what the NCAA culture is and will continue to be as long as people keep playing ostrich, but a lot of people go through life as a sheep, just follow the herd, and NEVER stand up for what they believe. Instead, just bitch about it. More people need to quit buying tickets, donating $, and watching. I've done the first two, and I don't watch any games except K-State. I realize I won't make a difference, but at least I feel I'm not contributing to the insanity.
well, i gave up my long-held mbb season tickets over the a.d.'s political/lgbtq statements. and i told him why. to wit he said "see yah." i refuse to give to nil. but we're going to see the wbb tournament and have been to many of their games this year. i actually love these girls like my own daughters. and we've renewed our football season tickets dating back to the mid-90s now. i don't feel like a sheep or ostrich either.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
randallcat85
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 20th, 2024, 12:00 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 9:11 am
So did you all see what the Proctor kid did to Iowa?? Holy cow what a mess. Kid is from Iowa, goes to Bama, starts 13 games last fall at tackle, enters the portal, signs with Iowa on a huge NIL deal, then re-enters the portal yesterday and it sounds like he may return to Bama, with all of Iowa's money in his pocket!!!

Just not sure how this is even realistic. Even the most adamant "players should be paid" people can't think this is okay. Surely there has to be a contract that these kids sign that requires them to hold them to the commitment. I know you can't stop them from transferring, but you shouldn't have to give them the money.

Ridiculous. And not real world. Every business that I know that gives a signing bonus or something of that nature has requirements to get that money. This cannot continue.
That is ridiculous. I hope for their boosters' sake, they had something in writing that said he has to give the money back if he leaves. If not, maybe they could sue him for fraud. Sadly, what we have witnessed over the past 2-3 years with the portal and out of control NIL, is likely just the beginning of how crazy things will get before order is somehow restored to college athletics.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » March 20th, 2024, 2:20 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:00 pm
Gorhoops wrote:
So did you all see what the Proctor kid did to Iowa?? Holy cow what a mess. Kid is from Iowa, goes to Bama, starts 13 games last fall at tackle, enters the portal, signs with Iowa on a huge NIL deal, then re-enters the portal yesterday and it sounds like he may return to Bama, with all of Iowa's money in his pocket!!!

Just not sure how this is even realistic. Even the most adamant "players should be paid" people can't think this is okay. Surely there has to be a contract that these kids sign that requires them to hold them to the commitment. I know you can't stop them from transferring, but you shouldn't have to give them the money.

Ridiculous. And not real world. Every business that I know that gives a signing bonus or something of that nature has requirements to get that money. This cannot continue.
That is ridiculous. I hope for their boosters' sake, they had something in writing that said he has to give the money back if he leaves. If not, maybe they could sue him for fraud. Sadly, what we have witnessed over the past 2-3 years with the portal and out of control NIL, is likely just the beginning of how crazy things will get before order is somehow restored to college athletics.

And of course if a school asks a kid to sign a contract adding some stipulations to the NIL deal, that kid probably just moves to the next school on the list and milks them for their NIL money.

tmcats, you mentioned it was the boosters that lost the money, not the school. To me that is even worse. Most people that complained about the players always being taken advantage of usually used the argument that people at the schools were getting rich off of the players' backs, ie administrators, etc. Okay fine, but when regular fans sign up for the collective and give their money, and then the kid basically rips them off, I feel bad for those fans that are only trying to help. I am sure that most of the money comes from major boosters and they have deep pockets, but still, to me it sucks that people that are just fans/alumni of Iowa that just want to help their school compete in this crazy game are the ones that lose out. Heck, the school itself doesn't lose anything other than a good player and less NIL money going forward.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanspot2180

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 20th, 2024, 2:42 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 2:20 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
March 20th, 2024, 12:00 pm

And of course if a school asks a kid to sign a contract adding some stipulations to the NIL deal, that kid probably just moves to the next school on the list and milks them for their NIL money.

tmcats, you mentioned it was the boosters that lost the money, not the school. To me that is even worse. Most people that complained about the players always being taken advantage of usually used the argument that people at the schools were getting rich off of the players' backs, ie administrators, etc. Okay fine, but when regular fans sign up for the collective and give their money, and then the kid basically rips them off, I feel bad for those fans that are only trying to help. I am sure that most of the money comes from major boosters and they have deep pockets, but still, to me it sucks that people that are just fans/alumni of Iowa that just want to help their school compete in this crazy game are the ones that lose out. Heck, the school itself doesn't lose anything other than a good player and less NIL money going forward.
i see your point, gorhoops. i just don't share your dismay. if people want to support an nil, it's at their risk. i refuse to give to k-state's for that reason. i just don't like how this is headed without guardrails. if there were rules, i might change my mind. until then, it's the wild west and my guns will remain holstered.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
privyet

privyet

Post by privyet » March 20th, 2024, 4:16 pm

I agree with everything all of you have said about the portal and NIL. It is the truth.

Regarding Will Howard, he looked really good slinging the ball. His opponent also, but Will's arm is better than I expected. It looked not like a cannon, but really strong IMO. With his toughness and ability to handle stress, I think he will suffice. The other guy is really good though.....

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » March 21st, 2024, 5:24 am

Gorhoops wrote:

I've heard here locally Des Moines, that he did not get or keep the NIL money from Iowa. I don't know for a fact, just what I hear. He's a good guy always say hi to anyone when you see him. He graduated between my girls classes at Southeast Polk and always seemed pretty humble. My oldest at U of Alabama has seen him a few times and he always comes up and says hi and offers to get her and her friends some food or beverages if they want. Long story short - I don't see him as the type to take the money and run. I imagine he hit panic mode and probably had people up here in Iowa chirping in his ear to come back - made a rash decision and did so, only to regret it later.

Now would I mind if this would actually be the case - absolutely not. A couple reasons behind that. First and foremost is that people would see the light and initiate some sort of rules or guardrails on this NIL crap. Secondly couldn't have happened to a better place (except maybe the domers). As I've mentioned Iowa is the ku of this state - very similar.
These users thanked the author DeereCatFan for the post:
stlcatfan

privyet

Post by privyet » March 25th, 2024, 2:36 pm

Just a footnote on keeping up with Will. Most are predicting he will be the starter, although he is facing strict completion from freshman, Julian Sayin. From what I've heard and read a true FM has never started at Ohio State. Read today that their April 13th spring game will be televised on the FOX channel. That'll be cool. Wish we could get something like that
These users thanked the author privyet for the post:
stlcatfan

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » March 25th, 2024, 3:03 pm

Barring injury, Will is going to be the starter. They are just trying to push him - which history has shown he needs that to perform at his best level. OSU also needs to have a back up ready to go because history has also shown that Will likely won't make it the full year without some kind of injury, even if it is minor. Sounds like healthy competition. That's wise.
These users thanked the author Tbonespop for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanprivyet
EMAW

privyet

Post by privyet » March 28th, 2024, 2:50 pm

I think so to, tbones. If he does win it he will absolutely thrive with the ridiculous talent on that team. My only concern is with his accuracy. Those WR's will be open most of the time, and if the past 2 years are any indication he should be fine
These users thanked the author privyet for the post (total 2):
Tbonespoprandallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 28th, 2024, 2:52 pm

privyet wrote:
March 28th, 2024, 2:50 pm
I think so to, tbones. If he does win it he will absolutely thrive with the ridiculous talent on that team. My only concern is with his accuracy. Those WR's will be open most of the time, and if the past 2 years he should be fine.
i read there's osu fan concern with howard underthrowing deep routes, the speed thing. but that he's spot-on with shorter routes.

ohio has bought the best roster in the land. one of their corners said he passed on the nfl draft this year because he didn't have to worry about money with nil. it's just maddening.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85