It must be summer....more realignment talk

The defending Big XII Champions
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: It must be summer....more realignment talk

Post by wild@nite » August 3rd, 2023, 9:03 am

Jax wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 8:11 am
The Arizona board of regents are meeting this evening to discuss. I think we may know something as early as this weekend. In the meantime, the sleeping giant in B1G has awaken who is now rumor to be considering Oregon and Washington, and maybe Stanford and Cal (for academic purposes).

I am open to change, but am I the only one that is concerned of how all of this moving so fast could destabilize the conference for the next several years? We have 4 new schools coming this year, two leaving as well as potentially gaining 4 new schools the following year. Between the end of the 2022 season and the beginning of the 2024 season, we will literally have a 100% increase in the size of this conference. When do we have time to allow for acclimation?
Agreed. Change is one thing, but sometimes this all feels like, "ready, fire, aim" instead of careful calculation. Oh, I'm sure BY has calculated carefully, but when calculations are 100% driven by $, I'm skeptical of the results, but of course, I'm just a common fan who loves traditional rivalries and despises ESPN and the greed.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
Jax

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » August 3rd, 2023, 9:09 am

wild@nite wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 9:03 am
Agreed. Change is one thing, but sometimes this all feels like, "ready, fire, aim" instead of careful calculation. Oh, I'm sure BY has calculated carefully, but when calculations are 100% driven by $, I'm skeptical of the results, but of course, I'm just a common fan who loves traditional rivalries and despises ESPN and the greed.
hopelessly old school here. conference alignments should make sense. not just $$$ grabs.

but it appears that genie may be outta da bottle... :beathorse:
These users thanked the author KITNooga for the post:
Jax
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 3rd, 2023, 9:58 am

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 3):
wazucatstlcatfanrajstat
Why is there something rather than nothing?

wazucat

Post by wazucat » August 3rd, 2023, 10:26 am

wild@nite wrote:
Jax wrote:
The Arizona board of regents are meeting this evening to discuss. I think we may know something as early as this weekend. In the meantime, the sleeping giant in B1G has awaken who is now rumor to be considering Oregon and Washington, and maybe Stanford and Cal (for academic purposes).

I am open to change, but am I the only one that is concerned of how all of this moving so fast could destabilize the conference for the next several years? We have 4 new schools coming this year, two leaving as well as potentially gaining 4 new schools the following year. Between the end of the 2022 season and the beginning of the 2024 season, we will literally have a 100% increase in the size of this conference. When do we have time to allow for acclimation?
We ain't changing it so we might as well enjoy it. I see a good chance that KSU will be King of the new Big 12 :D Our donors will keep us competitive dollar wise , ergo we don't need no stinkin BIG or SEC TV money to compete. Would you rather be Nubbs in the BIG finishing 7-6 or KSU finishing 12-2 making less TV money in the new Big 12?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » August 3rd, 2023, 10:51 am

Jax wrote:

Things certainly are moving fast right now (and not just in the Big 12 and PAC), but I'm glad we aren't taking the George Kliavkoff approach, just sitting back and saying, "We're good." Yormark is a smart guy. He has said all along that he wants to go west and make the Big 12 a coast-to-coast conference. He is striking while the iron is hot. I am hoping that if/when the rest of the Four Corners schools sign on with the Big 12, things will settle down for a while and we can focus on the upcoming football season.
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 3rd, 2023, 11:14 am

Tweet
See new Tweets
Conversation
Pete Thamel
@PeteThamel
Sources: The Big Ten’s presidents met early Thursday morning and authorized Commissioner Tony Petitti to explore expansion and bring them back more information on Oregon and Washington as potential Big Ten members. No offers have been made,
10:51 AM · Aug 3, 2023
·
Views

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » August 3rd, 2023, 12:35 pm

wazucat wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 10:26 am
wild@nite wrote:

We ain't changing it so we might as well enjoy it. I see a good chance that KSU will be King of the new Big 12 :D Our donors will keep us competitive dollar wise , ergo we don't need no stinkin BIG or SEC TV money to compete. Would you rather be Nubbs in the BIG finishing 7-6 or KSU finishing 12-2 making less TV money in the new Big 12?
Easier said than done. I hope you're right, but assuming that we will own the new conference is assuming quite a bit. I do agree that we have an opportunity. I may change my tune on the new look, but right now, I'm less than excited about Colorado and UCF. Same with Arizona or ASU. I'm more excited about Houston and Cinci than those. I'm trying to keep an open mind, but it ain't easy for an aging Big 8 fan like me. We sucked in football, but I still loved that conference because of the commonalities of small college towns.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post (total 3):
BamaCattmcatsJax

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 3rd, 2023, 1:11 pm

logic tells us this will be the sad outcome for our peers in oregon and washington.

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » August 3rd, 2023, 2:13 pm

tmcats wrote:
August 3rd, 2023, 1:11 pm
logic tells us this will be the sad outcome for our peers in oregon and washington.

Sad indeed. If there is any bright side to them ending up in the MWC (if they do end up there) is that it is truly a regional conference (not counting Hawaii) with like-minded conference partners. A couple years ago, when it looked like we and a couple other Big 12 schools might end up the MWC, I thought at least it would still be a fun conference with great destinations. Probably little consolation for OSU and WSU, though. Financially, this will be a nightmare for their athletic departments and OSU just completed a real nice addition to their football stadium.
"The whole future lies in uncertainty: live immediately.” -- Seneca

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 3rd, 2023, 2:36 pm

pretty telling commentary by a coug fan on their forum today.

This is an almuni base that has ranked dead last in athletic giving for decades. But they love their license plate frames and giving advice on how the program should be run. We sold 23K tickets for our homecoming game vs. Cal last year. Take away our games vs. Oregon and UW, and we averaged 22K in Martin Stadium last season. In 2019, the season after our wonderful 2018 year, we averaged just over 28K fans for the first two home games of the season. The 5-year average from 2015-2019, the heart of the Mike Leach era, we ranked dead last in attendance. UW & SC averaged over 66K fans. UCLA and Oregon over 55K. ASU, Utah, Colorado, Arizona, Cal, and Stanford averaged just under 50K collectively. WSU? Dead last at 30,300. The donor numbers even worse.

I feel bad for our diehard fans and our season ticket holders, but the vast majority of our social media fans, the one's who keep asking how this could happen. They can piss off. Our University, Athletic department, and alumni are all Mountain West. Always have been.