here we go again ...

The defending Big XII Champions
stlcatfan

Re: here we go again ...

Post by stlcatfan » July 31st, 2021, 9:23 am

I agree about the Big Ten and Fox. I would be shocked if they let the SEC and ESPN make these kind of moves without countering them. Right now, USC is the arguably the biggest football brand in the Pac-12 and they want out of their conference. I doubt they go by themselves so the Big Ten could poach two Pac-12 schools to get them to 16 schools. Then what if the SEC makes a play for Clemson and Florida State? That's why I think the Big Ten goes after at least 4-6 Pac-12 schools and it also helps with the travel issues the western schools would face. If Clemson and FSU went to the SEC, that might open things up for WVU to get into the ACC.

As far as KU and ISU going to the Big Ten, it's possible, but it doesn't sound very likely at this point. They are both AAU schools and would get the Big Ten to 16 schools, but I think KU and ISU are a ways down the list of choices for the Big Ten. The Big Ten would like to get Virginia and UNC, but they are tied into an ESPN TV contract until 2036 so good luck getting them out of that, especially since the Big Ten is tied to Fox. The low hanging fruit for the Big Ten will be the top football brands in the Pac-12.

It will be interesting to see how it all plays out.
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 31st, 2021, 10:09 am

we'll have a pause in cfp expansion discussions because people, like the b10 and p12 universities, are fearful that espn has way too much control. open markets work best when regulated by a wise government. presently, we seem to be in a laissez-faire system, i.e. a marketplace without oversight or regulation.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 31st, 2021, 10:51 am

https://graphics.wsj.com/table/NCAA_2019

this is meaningful information with k-state ranking the 29th most valuable football program.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
spot2180

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 31st, 2021, 11:45 am

Agreed. Will our fearless leader promote this? Doubt it.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 31st, 2021, 11:47 am

i don't get the hate for gene taylor. he's done nothing but represent the school with class. but people hated john currie and tim weiser and max and ... so, i guess it's just what it is here at k-state. good grief.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
Wildcat7073

MGPcat

Post by MGPcat » July 31st, 2021, 11:52 am

The KU board is amazing!

They truly believe they are coveted by the B1G because the basketball tournament will be freed from NCAA control, opening the floodgate of moneys to any conference lucky enough to have them.

They view the NCAA control of March Madness as almost a civil rights issue- the basketball schools are being discriminated against due to the theft of the tournament money that is rightfully theirs. How dare the NCAA allow football school to keep their money (which I believe they don't have control over) but then use a portion of the largest source of money that they do control to support non revenue sports?

They believe that when the basketball schools get together to wrest control of the tournament away from the NCAA they will then become one of the most valuable and coveted schools in the country.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 31st, 2021, 12:38 pm

well, there's some truth to that logic. the ncaa exists off the profits generated by the ncaa tournament.

but for ku to get in the b10, they'll have to show the conference will generate incrementally more money from their presence than is now shared with each current member, or ~$50 million. i don't believe fox increases their b10 network contribution that much with the addition of ku. but we'll have to see. plus, the board of regents says they can't negotiate to leave the b12 without bor approval. surrogates can do that for them though, i suppose.

ku has proven over and over again to be an unethical institution. so, we shouldn't put anything past them, particularly with their new a.d. coming from northwestern. i do wonder if the b10 is willing to add such a disgusting group to the conference though?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » July 31st, 2021, 1:00 pm

tmcats wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 11:47 am
i don't get the hate for gene taylor. he's done nothing but represent the school with class. but people hated john currie and tim weiser and max and ... so, i guess it's just what it is here at k-state. good grief.
Hyperbole. No hate. I like Gene, but we don't promote ourselves worth a damn. Never really have. I've harped on this for years. You don't have to agree. I didn't hate Weiser or Urick. I think Currie was a bit arrogant (did a solid job though), but we all have our own opinions. Good grief...
Last edited by wild@nite on July 31st, 2021, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » July 31st, 2021, 1:01 pm

seems to me we judge people too much on style and not enough on performance around here.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » July 31st, 2021, 1:01 pm

tmcats wrote:
July 31st, 2021, 10:51 am
https://graphics.wsj.com/table/NCAA_2019

this is meaningful information with k-state ranking the 29th most valuable football program.
A large portion of this value is likely derived from the media rights, no? If so, our value will fall like a rock absent landing in another P5 conference.