goings-on at other football programs ...

The defending Big XII Champions
stlcatfan

Re: goings-on at other football programs ...

Post by stlcatfan » March 27th, 2024, 10:02 am

kswildcat wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 9:11 am
I agree with your last statement, stlcat. I don't see K-State being able to compete financially with the big 2. Let them go their own way into a semi-pro league. The K-States of the college world can then compete in true college athletics.
I know many will say we should compete with the top schools, even if "college" football players become employees of the school. The problem is that it is a rigged system. The system is set up to continue to favor the Ohio States, MIchigans, and Alabamas of college football.

I like how Fitz put it recently. I'm paraphrasing, but he said something to the effect of how we will eventually have players representing our schools without having to take a single class at those schools. If that happens, the athletic departments will likely have no choice than to become separate entities from the academic institutions.

Like you, I prefer that the top programs go off and do the semi-pro thing and let the rest of us get back to student-athletes and amateur college football. At least have a set up where schools can choose which direction they will go.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
kswildcat
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 27th, 2024, 11:20 am

fitz is an idiot (it's patterson) and liar (taylor, tang, klieman hate the prez and will be leaving). he financially benefits by making trouble for k-state and people associated with it. anyone quoting him promotes the same sewer of thought. what he says has no more bearing on the situation than the random pc punching fan here.

now, as for k-state's future, it seems to me like we are headed to three major conferences. the acc will dissolve as the p12 did and schools like wake and boston college will be left wanting like wazzu and oregon state. from that will come three 20-team conferences. k-state will be a member of one of them because of its football pedigree. all the crape hanging here is understandable but likely ill-founded.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
spot2180
Why is there something rather than nothing?

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » March 27th, 2024, 11:52 am

tmcats wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:20 am
fitz is an idiot (it's patterson) and liar (taylor, tang, klieman hate the prez and will be leaving). he financially benefits by making trouble for k-state and people associated with it. anyone quoting him promotes the same sewer of thought. what he says has no more bearing on the situation than the random pc punching fan here.

now, as for k-state's future, it seems to me like we are headed to three major conferences. the acc will dissolve as the p12 did and schools like wake and boston college will be left wanting like wazzu and oregon state. from that will come three 20-team conferences. k-state will be a member of one of them because of its football pedigree. all the crape hanging here is understandable but likely ill-founded.
So beyond your personal dislike for Fitz, do you disagree with him about the issue of having players as employees rather than students?

Regarding the potential coming chaos due to tampering and the portal and NIL becoming the Wild West, Fitz was referencing Josh Pate (who interviewed Coach Klieman recently) who said that coaches are telling him (Pate) that tampering is now going on everywhere because there are no longer any rules against it. Coaches and boosters from other schools could be talking to some of our top guys right now, trying to convince them to enter the portal in April. And there's not a darn thing Coach Klieman or Gene Taylor or the NCAA can do about it.

Some teams could be gutted of their top talent and will be forced to go after top players in other programs, who will also be forced to go after another school's players and so on.
Last edited by stlcatfan on March 27th, 2024, 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
Kralicek
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 27th, 2024, 11:57 am

Repeat Rant - My macro question on United States Sports in general is that neither Professional or College Leagues/Conferences have criteria on how to join. Which to me is a restriction of trade.

- What does Nashville have to do to get a Major League Baseball team? The answer is no one knows.

- What does Iowa State need to do to join the Big 10? They were an AAU school, until recently losing that loosely defined moniker. Nebraska lost AAU ranking and the Big 10 didn't kick them out. My point is College Conferences are cliques that do not have defined criteria that allows others to join.

The only way stability happens is if there are court rulings or legislation (probably tax law) that hopefully equalizes competition.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
spot2180

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 27th, 2024, 11:58 am

stlcatfan wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:52 am
tmcats wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:20 am

So beyond your personal dislike for Fitz, do you disagree with him about the issue of having players as employees rather than students?

Regarding the potential coming chaos due to tampering and the portal and NIL becoming the Wild West, Fitz was referencing Josh Pate (who interviewed Coach Klieman recently) who said that coaches are telling him (Pate) that tampering is now going on everywhere because there are no longer any rules against it. Coaches and boosters from other schools could be talking to some of our top guys right now, trying to convince them to enter the portal in April.

Some teams could be gutted of their top talent and will be forced to go after top players in other programs, who will also be forced to go after another school's players and so on.
i not only dislike fitz, i find him an enemy of the program. what he says has no meaning to me.

These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
114Hickory

wazucat

Post by wazucat » March 29th, 2024, 1:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:58 am
stlcatfan wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:52 am

Regarding the potential coming chaos due to tampering and the portal and NIL becoming the Wild West, Fitz was referencing Josh Pate (who interviewed Coach Klieman recently) who said that coaches are telling him (Pate) that tampering is now going on everywhere because there are no longer any rules against it. Coaches and boosters from other schools could be talking to some of our top guys right now, trying to convince them to enter the portal in April.

i not only dislike fitz, i find him an enemy of the program. what he says has no meaning to me.

Fitz has been spectacularly wrong on some things, it's well documented on this site and others. Fitz has also been proven right on a lot more of his takes over the last 30+ years than some folks are willing to give him credit for. I don't know the man , but I have read his takes on issues for the 30+ plus years he has been in the business and he is not a double agent working to subvert KSU.
These users thanked the author wazucat for the post:
stlcatfan

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 29th, 2024, 1:19 pm

wazucat wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 1:17 pm
tmcats wrote:
March 27th, 2024, 11:58 am

Fitz has been spectacularly wrong on some things, it's well documented on this site and others. Fitz has also been proven right on a lot more of his takes over the last 30+ years than some folks are willing to give him credit for. I don't know the man , but I have read his takes on issues for the 30+ plus years he has been in the business and he is not a double agent working to subvert KSU.
i know him. he's been dealing with cancer for some time now. that in my view gives him some grace and leeway. i'll leave it at that.

purpleprairiecat
Location: Spokane, WA but lived in Manhattan, KS for many years.

Post by purpleprairiecat » March 29th, 2024, 2:05 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 1:19 pm
wazucat wrote:

i know him. he's been dealing with cancer for some time now. that in my view gives him some grace and leeway. i'll leave it at that.
I am not a member at Fitz's website, but I do watch his videos on YouTube. I am also aware of his battle with cancer. I think it has changed his approach to life. He often has good information, but you have to take it with a grain of salt. He will put a slant on the information in order to get more viewers and create interest in his social media outlets. For some reason that I don't understand, he has a personal quarrel with President Linton that hurts both K-State athletics and academics.

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » March 29th, 2024, 2:48 pm

tmcats wrote:
wazucat wrote:

Fitz is a long time K-State commentator & also a fan. He's been right on quite a few things and wrong on some major takes ("It's Patterson..!"). I've been critical about his Tomlin reporting, because in some ways I take it as a bit of sensational journalism, to get attention. But I don't think he's out to take K-State or anyone in the administration down. He has a right to question things and bring up issues involving K-State sports. I don't personally belong to his site, but I do imbibe in his YT videos which are fairly well done IMO. Sorry to hear about his cancer & hope he'll make it through okay and continue talking KSU Sports for many years to come. 8-)
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
Rusty7777

Catalum

Post by Catalum » March 29th, 2024, 3:10 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
March 29th, 2024, 2:48 pm
tmcats wrote:

Fitz is a long time K-State commentator & also a fan. He's been right on quite a few things and wrong on some major takes ("It's Patterson..!"). I've been critical about his Tomlin reporting, because in some ways I take it as a bit of sensational journalism, to get attention. But I don't think he's out to take K-State or anyone in the administration down. He has a right to question things and bring up issues involving K-State sports. I don't personally belong to his site, but I do imbibe in his YT videos which are fairly well done IMO. Sorry to hear about his cancer & hope he'll make it through okay and continue talking KSU Sports for many years to come. 8-)
It's my understanding he has stage 4 prostate cancer since being first diagnosed around 2018 or so. He's been a big advocate for men getting regular screenings, which is noble IMO.
These users thanked the author Catalum for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanRusty7777

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.