2019 Kansas State Volleyball

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
purogato
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: 2019 Kansas State Volleyball

Post by purogato » September 10th, 2019, 8:17 am

It appears we won the tournament. I watched the Clemson match and was pretty impressed by how the rookies held it together and rallied back.

I believe Omaha is always pretty decent, so needing five sets to beat them doesn't seem like a concern.

Does anyone have a report on the tournament as a whole and team at this point?

My initial thoughts from watching very little action thus far are that:
a) Dixon is replacing Heyne pretty sufficiently up front, but she can't play all the way around like Heyne could.
b) Williams seems to have had a good tournament, but probably didn't have to contend with the type of middles she faces in Big 12
c) Kuck and the other DS (name escapes me) might be an upgrade over the back row we had
d) just because she wants it so badly, I'm really glad Weber is getting quality minutes

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 13th, 2019, 1:04 am

Ugh...KSU lost to Missouri state in 5 today. not a good sign:(

Here were my thoughts from the prevs games.
I watched a couple of the games online from clemson and central ark. If the expectation is to be in the upper half of the big 12, then this tournament showed KSU isn't there. KSU should be beating these teams 3-1 or 3-0. In reference, KSU beat Omaha 3-0 last season.
- kuck will be solid as she gets some more games.
- freshman setter showed some promise in the last part of the centeral ark game. small sample size.
- S.Dixon setting is ok and i like she is pushing it to the middle even on less the perfect pass.
- KSU needs a dominant OH. I don't see an outside who can just hammer the ball like the top teams. i was hoping Dixon could do that and maybe it will happen later in the season. Same goes for Carlson.
- also seems like all hitters are going to not make an error vs just going in for the strong hit. I think this is a function of the system that KSU runs. they need switch up hitting line line more. way too much cross court OH hits.
- passing isn't consistent enough to beat good teams. I don't get how KSU doesn't pass dimes with all the DS we sub in for the OH and Opp.
- MB2 needs some work. losing Sandbothe hurts.
-Mutiri looked to be off a bit compared to the end of last year. I also didn't see her hitting out of the backrow at all which was effective last season when the pass was sub par.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 13th, 2019, 7:53 pm

ouch lost 1-3 vs weber

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 13th, 2019, 10:22 pm

and 2-3 loss against dayton. 0.0 wins this tournament

Kid In the Hall

Post by Kid In the Hall » September 14th, 2019, 10:32 am

If we can't beat these types of teams, who are we going to beat in the Big 12?

This could be Suzie's swan song.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 14th, 2019, 11:03 am

i was predicting an ok season, but now it look like it could be back to 2017:(. If no improvement by the end of the season, you would think this is a reasonable possibility if Gene could get someone good.

Kid In the Hall

Post by Kid In the Hall » September 14th, 2019, 11:20 am

cutshot wrote:
September 14th, 2019, 11:03 am
i was predicting an ok season, but now it look like it could be back to 2017:(. If no improvement by the end of the season, you would think this is a reasonable possibility if Gene could get someone good.
If Dawn Sullivan has a decent year (.500 or better at UNLV), that should be the first call.

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 14th, 2019, 11:52 am

Gene should already be calling now to plan the seed.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » September 14th, 2019, 4:45 pm

Susie is making the case that KState’s facilities are putting her at a recruiting disadvantage

cutshot

Post by cutshot » September 14th, 2019, 5:07 pm

This is what I have heard as well and I can understand this to a point, but there isn't a lack of talent on the team from a overall ranking standpoint though on the last 2 classes (Mutiri was a big part of that in the last class though). I also see talent on the team and they just need to improve which doesn't look to be happening so far this season. KSU should never lose to MSU or weber state let alone both in the same weekend.