2024 KSU Tennis

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

2024 KSU Tennis

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 16th, 2024, 2:28 pm

https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/wom ... nis/roster

Team
Maralgoo Chogsomjav Freshman Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia

Jillian Harkin Freshman Manhattan, Kan. Manhattan

Charlotte Keitel Freshman Bad Dürkheim, Germany

Veronika Kulhava Junior Letohrad, Czech Republic

Tereza Polakova Freshman Dolní Brežany, Czech Republic

Aleen Quamar Senior Jaipur, India

Maria Santos Sophomore Cortegaça, Portugal

Vanesa Suarez Sophomore Valencia, Venezuela

Manami Ukita Senior Saitama, Japan
==========================

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » January 16th, 2024, 5:57 pm

Good to see that we have nine players this year. Don’t know if you are referencing that eight are from foreign countries but I checked ku, mu, and ou, and they all had three or less U.S. players on their team.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
WildcatEngineer

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 17th, 2024, 1:32 pm

AlabamaLane wrote:
January 16th, 2024, 5:57 pm
Good to see that we have nine players this year. Don’t know if you are referencing that eight are from foreign countries but I checked ku, mu, and ou, and they all had three or less U.S. players on their team.
AL, I started and stopped comments about 3 times because I don't know what to say, that I really believe, because I do not have enough information.

Yes, college tennis programs are full of foreign student athletes. And it is not Just one or two countries or even continents. The only American girl on the KSU team is from Manhattan.

This is the KSU Sports program I do not understand.
These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
PurpleOnWhite

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » January 17th, 2024, 2:42 pm

I'd like to see their recruiting travel budget.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 19th, 2024, 2:36 pm

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-12561534

Some of the international players flowing into the American system come through Anton Rudjuk, who was one of the first Russian-born players in the US and now runs a recruiting service for players and coaches.

Since 2004, he has helped over 600 athletes find playing time and scholarships at US colleges.

"It was intimidating for the coaches at first and they didn't want to spend the dollars," says Rudjuk, who has brought between 25-30 coaches to Russia. "We broke the door down, offered recruiting trips, and rented the courts so that they can check out the players in person."

The higher you go in the team rankings, the more international players you will find, says Rudjuk. "Obviously the pressure is on."

Scholarships
Rudjuk's players pay him between $1,500-2,000 (£925-1,133) up front for the consultation, the connection to a coach, and help with the paperwork. He does not guarantee a spot but the reward, a four-year scholarship to some of the top schools in the US, can be worth 40 times the investment.

In the top 25 women teams about 40 percent of the scholarships in Division 1 go to international players. The top 25 schools in Division 2 award about 70 percent of their 6 scholarships per team to female players from abroad.

Many in college tennis say that international players are often older than their American high school counterparts. Some of them have been unsuccessful as professional players, and use college tennis as a second chance - and an opportunity for free education.

"It's a fairness issue," says Geoff Macdonald, who coaches one international player on his women's team at Vanderbilt University. "I don't think the intent of Title IX was for a European pro to come here and take a scholarship from an American kid who might not be as good."

Title IX was signed into law in 1972 and requires equal funding for boys and girls in every educational program under federal funding. It has resulted in a significant increase in scholarships available for female sports, such as college tennis.

But with more than 5,700 scholarships available for both men's and women's tennis, David Benjamin, the ITA president, argues some schools would leave money on the table if they did not allocate it to international players.

"It's hard to find an American girl who doesn't get a scholarship," says Benjamin. "There is less opportunity in the top teams for American players, but they can still get a scholarship somewhere else."

Pro effect
There are only four Americans in the top 20 in men's and women's professional tennis, and the Williams sisters are two of them.

Former coaches like Tim Cass, now associate athletic director at the University of New Mexico, say more scholarships for international players means fewer Americans will make their way up to the professional level.

"Those kids stop playing at the age of 18 as opposed to 22 and tennis is not a part of their life anymore."

Among proponents and critics alike, there is widespread agreement that international players raise the level of college tennis, and the US Tennis Association (USTA) argues it helps in the development of future US professional players.

"A player like John Isner needed those four years in his development and the added push that the high competition level provided," says Erica Perkins, Manager for Junior and Collegiate Competition at the USTA.

But for parents like Wayne Bryan, whose sons Bob and Mike played at Stanford and are currently the best men's double team in the world, the sport was not meant to purely develop professional players but to provide important life lessons for student athletes.

"I don't think college tennis should be a world-class sport. And you shouldn't have to compete with the world to play at Baylor or any other place."

Limiting the amount of scholarships that are given to international players, as some coaches and officials demand, would conflict with the US constitution, says David Benjamin. In the end it is up to each university and its president to define a mission for their sports program.

"We are a global village, and that is not unique to college tennis."

These users thanked the author WildcatEngineer for the post:
AlabamaLane

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » January 20th, 2024, 8:22 pm

Won their first dual of the season 6-1 over Drake. Lost the doubles point but swept the singles.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » January 22nd, 2024, 2:16 pm

AlabamaLane wrote:
January 20th, 2024, 8:22 pm
Won their first dual of the season 6-1 over Drake. Lost the doubles point but swept the singles.
After reading a couple of articles on 2024 Tennis, I came away with the opinion that Tennis has turned into a sport of International cliques and phenoms. It does not have a large fan base and it's popularity in the USA is dropping. It is turning into an aristocratic sport.

If I could snap my fingers and swap KSU Tennis for a KSU Softball Program I would do it tonight. But I understand why ADGT would not touch that do to cost and no real gain from Softball.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » February 3rd, 2024, 11:50 am

https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2024/ ... r-4-2.aspx

We had our first loss of the year at Denver.

We have Iowa this weekend.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » February 3rd, 2024, 7:02 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
February 3rd, 2024, 11:50 am
https://www.kstatesports.com/news/2024/ ... r-4-2.aspx

We had our first loss of the year at Denver.

We have Iowa this weekend.
Defeated Iowa 4-1 today. Lost the doubles point but swept singles.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
WildcatEngineer