2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
dpecats88

Re: 2024 KSU Mens Varsity Baseball Season

Post by dpecats88 » April 27th, 2024, 5:39 pm

K-State Baseball Season - Blah. Such a disappointment this year. They need to make the Big12 Tourney and win it otherwise they will be miss the tournament - again.
These users thanked the author dpecats88 for the post:
randallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 27th, 2024, 7:55 pm

Cats win the nightcap 6-3. Staked Boerema to a 6-0 lead after 5 and held on for the win.
Boerema was pretty solid. Not many K’s, just two, but kept them from squaring many balls up. He went 5-2/3 and Neighbors got the last 3-1/3. He ended up with 5 K’s.

Culpepper was the man, going 2-3 with a homer, a double and 4 rbis and a walk. English also continues to swing a good stick as he was 2-4 and .500 for the weekend. Jones lead off the game with a solo shot.

If these guys could manage to play more than one full game they’d have probably won at least a couple road series. But they’re now 10-11 in conference. They must win the series with ku next weekend, but a sweep would put them in a pretty solid place for making the big12 tournament. They also have a pretty big midweek game at Lincoln against the huskers.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 29th, 2024, 9:41 pm

Wednesdays game at Nebraska will be on the big10 network. 6pm.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » April 30th, 2024, 7:44 pm

NU is struggling with Creighton right now in Omaha. Two mid-week games in a row will not be easy for them.
These users thanked the author Zoltar for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan
Win the dang day!

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » April 30th, 2024, 9:47 pm

Zoltar wrote:
April 30th, 2024, 7:44 pm
NU is struggling with Creighton right now in Omaha. Two mid-week games in a row will not be easy for them.
KU beat them in Lincoln last week and beat at home a few weeks earlier. They may be hitting a bit of a wall, but we can take no one for granted, especially on the road where we’ve struggled terribly. This would be another nice resume game with the road win. I believe Nebraska is 2nd in the big10.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
AlabamaLane

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » April 30th, 2024, 9:56 pm

The games actually on Big 10 + which requires a subscription
These users thanked the author sfs20 for the post:
randallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 1st, 2024, 8:46 pm

Couldn’t watch or listen, thank goodness, because the Cats were no hit by the Nebraska pitcher, as he struck out 12 in a 8-0 win. Talk about a new low. Just pitiful. Only good thing is it wasn’t a conference game. I believe that’s two years in a row of being no hit, as I think ku no hit them last year.

I think they may have to sweep ku this weekend, plus other wins in the final two series to get an at large. And I’m not sure they can even win the series against ku.

Sad sad night for ksu baseball.
randallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 1st, 2024, 9:31 pm

So I was curious who it was that threw against the Cats and his name is Jackson Brockett and he had only pitched in 6 games until tonight and had pitched no more than 2 innings in any game, and only did that once, until tonight. He pitched one inning against ku about 3 weeks again and gave up 2 runs on 3 hits and didn’t even get credit for an inning against wsu giving up 3 hits and a run. And he comes out tonight and we make him look like the greatest hall of fame pitcher of all time.

I can’t believe we extended Hughes. He’s done absolutely nothing. Don’t believe he’s finished any higher than 5th. No ncaa tournament appearances. No conference championships. He had players go to the MLB. Big deal, so have little colleges you’ve never heard of before. He seems to find talent but can’t do anything with it or just flat gets the wrong pieces.

We went and got a football coach that seemed to be a winner even if at the lower level. He’s panned out well. We went and got one of the hot assistant coaches in basketball. He’s did more in his first year. But we go get a guy who was fired at OU and was mediocre at his other stops and believe he’s going to turn things around. Just mind boggling. It’s like with baseball we’ve taken the approach that this is the best we can do at little ksu for this sport. We shouldn’t expect much except performing reasonably well at home. Hughes has all this “Omaha” stuff in his office and at the baseball facility and they haven’t sniffed it since he’s been here. Now I hope they do something spectacular in the last 3 weeks and really prove me wrong, but history and for the most part this year hasn’t shown anything will change. It is time for a change with the staff regardless of how long he was extended, unless we’ve relegated to just being a mediocre team. And if that’s the case then I’m done wasting time watching and listening. Something needs to change.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 3rd, 2024, 12:05 pm

Really huge series this weekend for many reasons. Of course it’s the instate rivalry and ku is playing some good ball. Just swept Tech at home. They are in 5th and the Cats in 8th presently. The Cats would have to sweep in order to move in front. Just winning the series would leave them a game behind.

The Cats RPI is still good at 36, but have to start stacking up some wins. Only 9 games left and all are conference games. 3 this weekend with ku, 3 next weekend at Morgantown and the final series is 3 at home against byu. I think they’re going to have to go 6-3 in those final 9 as a bare minimum and then probably win a game or two in the conference tournament to make the NCAA. They really need to finish about 7-2 with a win or two in the b12. With currently having 26 wins that would put them at 33-35 wins total. Last year they won 35 and got left out of the ncaa as all know. This year’s team has a much better RPI, but the more wins obviously the better the chance.

Pitching needs to show up in a way they really haven’t this weekend. And the offense needs to feed off the home crowd and really explode. If they lose this series I think it’s going to be very doubtful they can make the NCAA Tournament. So hopefully the guys are all really focused and energized. But ku is fighting for their postseason life as well as their RPI is more like ours last year and they are also at 26 wins currently.

6pm tonight on espn+. Not sure who will start, but Hughes has basically been pitching backwards with his Friday guy, Boerema, going on Sunday. Ruhl, Wintroub, Frost have all gotten starts on Friday and struggled pretty bad. Wentworth has been the Saturday guy and until this past Saturday has been very good. The team is also coming off being shutout by a Nebraska bullpen pitcher (totally embarrassing). So hopefully they’re ready to bust out.

Go Cats!!!
randallcat85

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 3rd, 2024, 5:21 pm

Hughes going back to normal rotation. Boerema to start. Hopefully has his really good stuff. And need the offense to take pressure off and explode for a bunch tonight.
randallcat85