Transfer Portal

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
nick57

Transfer Portal

Post by nick57 » June 14th, 2023, 11:44 am

Kstate picked up a Wichita State transfer on Monday. An outfielder that batted 358 and an all conference player. Can't copy and paste with this tablet.
These users thanked the author nick57 for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » June 14th, 2023, 12:07 pm

Yes, Chuck Ingram. Very good player. Batted lead off for the shocks. Played mostly CF last year but was moved to RF this year. He went through a 2-3 week period where he was hitting over .600.
Can hit for average and power.

A really nice addition. They have several other players in the portal I wouldn’t mind seeing the Cats pick up, especially some pitchers.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post (total 3):
stlcatfanrandallcat85AlabamaLane

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » June 14th, 2023, 5:52 pm

Under NCAA rules, a Division 1 baseball team’s 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players on a 35-player roster, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship. That leaves room for eight walk-ons. These players will initially not be offered an athletic scholarship, but they can earn a scholarship in the future. Academically, athletes need to complete 10 of their 16 core courses before their senior year in high school:

What keeps Colleges from giving the Baseball Student Athletes enough NIL money to cover his tuition, boarding, books and incidentals? Schools can fully fund all 35 players.

The more money that is used for student's tuition that sounds good to me.

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » June 14th, 2023, 6:29 pm

It appears to me that non-rev scholarships, particularity in women’s sports, are spread out to increase Title IX numbers. I doubt NIL coverage of tuition, etc. can be counted toward Title IX participation. Technically, NIL has nothing to do with tuition, room and board, etc. But, as we all know, NIL is a free-for-all, so, if there’s an angle, it’s being exploited.
These users thanked the author PurpleOnWhite for the post:
WildcatEngineer

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » June 15th, 2023, 9:31 am

WildcatEngineer wrote:
June 14th, 2023, 5:52 pm
Under NCAA rules, a Division 1 baseball team’s 11.7 scholarships can be divided between a maximum of 27 players on a 35-player roster, with all players on athletic scholarship having to receive a minimum of a 25 percent scholarship. That leaves room for eight walk-ons. These players will initially not be offered an athletic scholarship, but they can earn a scholarship in the future. Academically, athletes need to complete 10 of their 16 core courses before their senior year in high school:

What keeps Colleges from giving the Baseball Student Athletes enough NIL money to cover his tuition, boarding, books and incidentals? Schools can fully fund all 35 players.

The more money that is used for student's tuition that sounds good to me.
I believe Texas Tech just did that this year. The way I heard it phrased on a podcast was they put the entire baseball team on the payroll.

But yes, I think it’s ridiculous that they aren’t able to offer and provide baseball players the same scholarship opportunities that basketball and football players receive. I’m curious what other sports are able to provide their athletes? Volleyball, soccer, tennis, track, gymnastics, softball. Are they all using the same guidelines as baseball or do they get to offer the same as football and basketball?
I realize that those last two bring in the vast majority of revenue, but still seems quite unfair. To me athletics revenue should basically all come for and go towards all athletics.

ToledoCat#3
Has thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#3 » June 15th, 2023, 1:06 pm

In an ideal world, all sports scholarship players would be on a full ride. But, sadly, it's not an ideal world.

Still, who in the hell came up with 11.7 scholarships for all of a baseball team? Screwy world.

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » June 15th, 2023, 9:53 pm

I think Dom Hughes is transferring

sfs20

Post by sfs20 » June 16th, 2023, 11:08 pm

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » June 17th, 2023, 1:07 pm

ToledoCat#3 wrote:
June 15th, 2023, 1:06 pm
In an ideal world, all sports scholarship players would be on a full ride. But, sadly, it's not an ideal world.

Still, who in the hell came up with 11.7 scholarships for all of a baseball team? Screwy world.
TC, I was at a Catbackers event where AD Tim Weiser and Dayton Moore were appearing together.

Weiser said the small North East colleges blocked any changes to baseball because a) they could not afford fully funding baseball b) they wanted to protect all the old Legion, Amateur Summer Leagues. The 11.7 scholarships was to level the competition between big and small colleges.

NCAA Baseball needs a total analysis and major adjustments.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » June 19th, 2023, 2:14 pm

sfs20 wrote:
June 15th, 2023, 9:53 pm
I think Dom Hughes is transferring
That would be an interesting transfer IMO, since his dad is HC and his brother is also on staff. Unless dads had a heart to heart with him about the fact he’s not going to be a starter and might find more playing time transferring down to like the MVC or Summit league type level.