Track signees

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
AlabamaLane

Track signees

Post by AlabamaLane » May 19th, 2023, 11:53 am

This morning they released the list of spring track signees. For full info go to kstatesports.com. What caught my eye are the two young ladies from Kenya. Their times in the distance races are fantastic. Also, a 200 and 400 runner from Colorado who was the Nike indoor 400 meter champ and third in the 200. This is one of the best lists I have seen from the track program.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 19th, 2023, 2:19 pm

Good to hear. I can’t say I’m a big time follower of the track team. I like track. My dad coached track for 30 years. But I just don’t really follow the team that closely. But I have noticed when I do it’s usually like in the conference meet and ksu just never seems to be very strong. I’m sure it’s extremely tough competing against all the Texas programs, but I have noticed ku seems to have either their men or women in the top 3-4 every other year or so. Just curious why ksu can’t seem to manage to find similar success, as you hear comments about how good the ksu coach is supposed to be. But other than being men’s high jump U, I don’t really see much as either a competing conference champ or when I watch some of the ncaa championships.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » May 21st, 2023, 8:24 am

bhoovy wrote:
May 19th, 2023, 2:19 pm
Good to hear. I can’t say I’m a big time follower of the track team. I like track. My dad coached track for 30 years. But I just don’t really follow the team that closely. But I have noticed when I do it’s usually like in the conference meet and ksu just never seems to be very strong. I’m sure it’s extremely tough competing against all the Texas programs, but I have noticed ku seems to have either their men or women in the top 3-4 every other year or so. Just curious why ksu can’t seem to manage to find similar success, as you hear comments about how good the ksu coach is supposed to be. But other than being men’s high jump U, I don’t really see much as either a competing conference champ or when I watch some of the ncaa championships.
BH, I believe the Women have won 3 or 4 conference championships. I was in Lawrence a couple of years ago when they won.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 21st, 2023, 1:11 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
May 21st, 2023, 8:24 am
bhoovy wrote:
BH, I believe the Women have won 3 or 4 conference championships. I was in Lawrence a couple of years ago when they won.
Wow, really?? Team championships within the last 5-10 years and not individual??

If so very nice. How about the men?

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » May 21st, 2023, 2:13 pm

https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/201 ... 95617.aspx

Not only have the Wildcats flourished on the national scene, K-State has also seen great success at the conference level. Highlighted by back-to-back Big 12 titles in 2001/2002 and 2017/2018, the K-State women are one of only two teams to repeat as champions on more than one occasion. The K-State men have also seen great success at the Big 12 Conference meet, including a men's program-best 101 point performance in 2018, where the Wildcats tied for third overall.
----------------------
BH, I am totally bias, but Cliff Rovelto might very well be the best Coach at KSU. We are fortunate to have him.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » May 23rd, 2023, 6:36 pm

Several people more familiar with KSU Track and Field might disagree with me on this. But I do not see us recruiting that many sprinters. I have always thought there are many more points in the sprints (100, 200, 400, 800) especially with all the relays.

It is like we are developing individuals and not that concerned about a team score.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 23rd, 2023, 8:48 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
May 21st, 2023, 2:13 pm
https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/201 ... 95617.aspx

Not only have the Wildcats flourished on the national scene, K-State has also seen great success at the conference level. Highlighted by back-to-back Big 12 titles in 2001/2002 and 2017/2018, the K-State women are one of only two teams to repeat as champions on more than one occasion. The K-State men have also seen great success at the Big 12 Conference meet, including a men's program-best 101 point performance in 2018, where the Wildcats tied for third overall.
----------------------
BH, I am totally bias, but Cliff Rovelto might very well be the best Coach at KSU. We are fortunate to have him.
Oh and he may very well be. I would think KSU is a pretty tough gig for track coaches. I didn’t realize the women had won the titles in 2017 and 2018. Very nice. I knew they had some individual success lately.
But the men have been a bit a of a different story. 3rd is a very nice finish but it doesn’t seem they have much continued success accept for individuals like in the high jump. And I believe they used to be a men’s program for long jump or triple jump or both. But to go along with your other post, I don’t think they’ve had much in the way of sprinters since Newman.

Catalum

Post by Catalum » May 24th, 2023, 5:21 pm

bhoovy wrote:
Hey Bhoovy, where did your dad coach track? My dad was on the K-State track team back in the 50's. Held the pole vault school record for awhile, when they used steel poles and landed in saw dust or sand.

Because my safety, my freedom, and my rights are non-negotiable.

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 24th, 2023, 7:58 pm

Catalum wrote:
May 24th, 2023, 5:21 pm
bhoovy wrote:
Hey Bhoovy, where did your dad coach track? My dad was on the K-State track team back in the 50's. Held the pole vault school record for awhile, when they used steel poles and landed in saw dust or sand.
He started his career in Admire then went kind of out west to Offerle and Kinsley and then spent the majority of his career in the Andover school district.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
Catalum

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » October 14th, 2023, 12:00 pm

I posted about the track signees a few months ago. This morning, Josephine Wanjiku, one of the two Kenyan women signees, won the cross country race in Virginia over 167 competitors. The women’s team was also victorious in a field of 15 competing teams. The other Kenyan signee has not competed this fall. I don’t know if it is an injury or eligibility situation.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
randallcat85