KSU Tennis Roster

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

KSU Tennis Roster

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 7th, 2023, 6:45 pm

https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/wom ... ?path=wten

Only 7 girls on the team. They are all international. What is this bringing to KSU and the KSU Athletic Department?
==================================

Florentine Dekkers Sophomore Ammerzoden, Netherlands

Rozalia Gruszczynska Freshman Krakow, Poland

Rosanna Maffei Senior Atripalda, Italy

Aleen Quamar Junior Jaipur, India

Maria Santos Freshman Cortegaça, Portugal

Vanesa Suarez Freshman Valencia, Venezuela

Manami UkitaHear Junior Saitama, Japan

PurpleOnWhite

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » March 7th, 2023, 7:22 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 6:45 pm
https://www.kstatesports.com/sports/wom ... ?path=wten

Only 7 girls on the team. They are all international. What is this bringing to KSU and the KSU Athletic Department?
==================================

Florentine Dekkers Sophomore Ammerzoden, Netherlands

Rozalia Gruszczynska Freshman Krakow, Poland

Rosanna Maffei Senior Atripalda, Italy

Aleen Quamar Junior Jaipur, India

Maria Santos Freshman Cortegaça, Portugal

Vanesa Suarez Freshman Valencia, Venezuela

Manami UkitaHear Junior Saitama, Japan
I guess we don’t have any Kansas girls worthy of a scholarship. Seriously, why is GT allowing this to happen?

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 7th, 2023, 10:30 pm

This is very common. Many schools have all or almost all foreign players. We only had five girls on our roster first semester but they found a couple to finish the roster. For those that don’t follow collegiate tennis, it takes at least six players to cover all of the spots in a match.

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 8th, 2023, 4:36 pm

Alabama, you are correct. KU has 9 girls on their team and 6 are international, assuming I am not getting the wrong "Georgia". They do have 3 USA girls. Are American girls that bad at Tennis?

I should not make this an either/or discussion. But comparing Women's Softball to Tennis, I would think KSU would be better fielding a Softball team.

KU's Tennis Team
NAME CLASS HOMETOWN
Tamari Gagoshidze Freshman Tbilisi, Georgia
Heike Janse Van Vuuren Freshman George, South Africa
Mariana Manyoma-Velasquez Sophomore Pereira, Colombia
Silvia Maria Costache Freshman Bucharest, Romania
Jocelyn Massey Junior Las Cruces, New Mexico
Malkia Ngounoue Super-Senior Washington, D.C.
Carmen Roxana Manu Senior Constanta, Romania
Kylin Sadler Freshman Atlanta, Georgia
Maria Titova R-Sophomore Volzhsky, Russia

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 14th, 2023, 2:21 pm

Although we haven’t won, we did pick up a couple of victories in individual matches against ranked Iowa State and West Virginia.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
WildcatEngineer

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 21st, 2023, 9:36 pm

AlabamaLane wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 10:30 pm
This is very common. Many schools have all or almost all foreign players. We only had five girls on our roster first semester but they found a couple to finish the roster. For those that don’t follow collegiate tennis, it takes at least six players to cover all of the spots in a match.
AL, why do Colleges recruit foreign girls?

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 22nd, 2023, 9:07 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 9:36 pm
AlabamaLane wrote:
March 7th, 2023, 10:30 pm
Evidently they are better tennis players. I don’t follow it closely but I do check KSU results and almost all of our opponents are names that look foreign. I think that tennis is a higher rated sport in most of these countries. Most of the best female athletes in Kansas are volleyball, basketball, or softball players. I taught and coached mostly at the middle school level in Kansas for 42 years and rarely did our best athletes play tennis.
stlcatfan

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 26th, 2023, 12:16 pm

AlabamaLane wrote:
March 22nd, 2023, 9:07 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:
March 21st, 2023, 9:36 pm

Evidently they are better tennis players. I don’t follow it closely but I do check KSU results and almost all of our opponents are names that look foreign. I think that tennis is a higher rated sport in most of these countries. Most of the best female athletes in Kansas are volleyball, basketball, or softball players. I taught and coached mostly at the middle school level in Kansas for 42 years and rarely did our best athletes play tennis.
AL, I do not disagree with any of your points. But that leads to why would KSU field a sport that is not important to Kansas or USA kids? I think the main reason is it is tradition and cheap to operate.

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » March 26th, 2023, 2:48 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
March 26th, 2023, 12:16 pm
AlabamaLane wrote:
March 22nd, 2023, 9:07 pm

AL, I do not disagree with any of your points. But that leads to why would KSU field a sport that is not important to Kansas or USA kids? I think the main reason is it is tradition and cheap to operate.
I think that the number of scholarships for men’s and women’s sports must be equal so even though we have only seven players on the roster, it helps make a balance. Rowing is another sport that helps out. I think KSU has the minimum number of sports required to be D-1.
WildcatEngineer

WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Post by WildcatEngineer » March 31st, 2023, 9:53 am

AlabamaLane wrote:
March 26th, 2023, 2:48 pm
WildcatEngineer wrote:
March 26th, 2023, 12:16 pm

I think that the number of scholarships for men’s and women’s sports must be equal so even though we have only seven players on the roster, it helps make a balance. Rowing is another sport that helps out. I think KSU has the minimum number of sports required to be D-1.
If my memory is not shot, when AD Max Urich started the Equistrian Program one of the main reasons he picked it as a sport was there can be unlimited scholarships thus allowing the Athletic Department can balance any Title IX issues. I believe Rowing can do the same thing.

Women's Tennis and Women's Golf are KSU Sports where there is no income. There is no tradition of success. There is no following. I look at OU and their success in Gymnastics and Softball with a belief that should be a role model. With conference realignment I suspect we will see more and more have and have nots in the minor sports.