2023 Baseball Season

Discussion about the bat cats, volleyball, and any other wildcat athletic team!
WildcatEngineer

Pick 'Em

Re: 2023 Baseball Season

Post by WildcatEngineer » April 30th, 2023, 8:58 pm

Two conference series left - at Stillwater and home for TCU. I would assume WVU has the tiebreaker with us since they won our series 2-1. They have played 3 less games.

School Big 12 Overall
West Virginia 11-4 33-11
Oklahoma State 11-7 30-13
Kansas State 11-7 28-17
Texas 10-7 30-15
Texas Tech 9-9 30-15
Oklahoma 9-9 24-20
TCU 7-10 23-20
Kansas 6-12 21-23
Baylor 6-15 15-29

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 1st, 2023, 11:04 am

KStateEdDoc wrote:
April 30th, 2023, 4:07 pm
Great 10-8 win over Texas Tech to capture the series! The team kept rallying in the middle to late innings before closing the door in the 9th. Been a fun season......
extraordinary grit in pulling out that victory. jones, who had struggled mightily, hit a monster triple off the right field wall to win it. damn good game to watch on espn+ replay.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post (total 2):
bhoovystlcatfan
Why is there something rather than nothing?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 1st, 2023, 2:46 pm

WildcatEngineer wrote:
April 30th, 2023, 8:58 pm
Two conference series left - at Stillwater and home for TCU. I would assume WVU has the tiebreaker with us since they won our series 2-1. They have played 3 less games.

School Big 12 Overall
West Virginia 11-4 33-11
Oklahoma State 11-7 30-13
Kansas State 11-7 28-17
Texas 10-7 30-15
Texas Tech 9-9 30-15
Oklahoma 9-9 24-20
TCU 7-10 23-20
Kansas 6-12 21-23
Baylor 6-15 15-29
Yes, wvu does have the head to head tiebreaker with us. They have OU, Tech and @UT left. OU is a really hard team to figure out. We sweep them at home and they’re looking like the worst team in the league, then they go on a bit of a winning streak, including a sweep of Texas in Austin.

The cats just have to keep winning. The midweek return game In Wichita tomorrow, which I will be attending, would be a nice addition to the resume. And then can slip up against SE Missouri St this coming weekend. They’re having a decent year.

But each conference series just gets bigger and the OSU series will be the biggest of the year. Two second place teams, with the winner staying in contention for the conference title.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 1st, 2023, 7:11 pm

D. Scott Fritchen
@DScottFritchen
K-State baseball is No. 22 in the Collegiate Baseball Division I Poll on Monday.

That means K-State football, K-State men’s basketball, K-State women’s basketball, K-State men’s golf and K-State baseball have all been nationally ranked in 2022-23.

Has to be a K-State record.
2:14 PM · May 1, 2023
·
Views
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
stlcatfan

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 2nd, 2023, 10:06 pm

Back from the game at WSU and Cats fall 1-0 in what ended up being a pitchers dual surprisingly with it being a midweek game and midweek throwers.

KSU had 2 on with no outs 3 times and couldn’t execute. 2 of the 3 they hit into inning ending DP’s and both were by the player who leads in hitting into DP’s, Cole Johnson. You just need better from a top half of the lineup veteran.

But also what hurt was our inept coach at actually coaching. I don’t know another coach who changes the batting lineup more than Hughes. I think he had a different lineup for each of the 3 Tech games. And tonight he put Lodice in the lead off spot, when I don’t think he’s ever batted higher than 6th. He’s also a frosh getting his first real shot at being in the lineup every day and he’s not played a position since conference play started. He came up in the 8th inning with 2 on and no outs and couldn’t execute the bunt. And he actually held his bat out there at 2 of the 3 strikes and never attempted to pull it back. Never made a real attempt at the ball but left his bat out there for the ump to call a strike. But I blame that on Hughes for putting him there when he has two guys who have been in the lead off spot most all year in Jones and Rugley. In an important non con game like this to help your RPI he pulls something like that.

And actually it would have gone to extras if Brady Day hadn’t dropped a liner he caught in a shift playing shallow right field but it popped out. Would have ended the inning but put two shockers in scoring position and then a passéd ball moved them up and then a hit brought the lone run in. Just a wasted opportunity at an RPI road win and I believe Hughes is at least partially to blame,

I think he’s actually been a good recruiter. I’d give him an A- to B+, put he’s terrible with so much of the pregame and in game stuff. And I’m not sure he’s won a challenge all year. Was 0-2 tonight.

Now hopefully the cats don’t lose focus this weekend with SEMO coming to town. They need to sweep, as the wins won’t help but loses will definitely hurt.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » May 4th, 2023, 12:09 pm

bhoovy wrote:
May 2nd, 2023, 10:06 pm
Back from the game at WSU and Cats fall 1-0 in what ended up being a pitchers dual surprisingly with it being a midweek game and midweek throwers.

KSU had 2 on with no outs 3 times and couldn’t execute. 2 of the 3 they hit into inning ending DP’s and both were by the player who leads in hitting into DP’s, Cole Johnson. You just need better from a top half of the lineup veteran.

But also what hurt was our inept coach at actually coaching. I don’t know another coach who changes the batting lineup more than Hughes. I think he had a different lineup for each of the 3 Tech games. And tonight he put Lodice in the lead off spot, when I don’t think he’s ever batted higher than 6th. He’s also a frosh getting his first real shot at being in the lineup every day and he’s not played a position since conference play started. He came up in the 8th inning with 2 on and no outs and couldn’t execute the bunt. And he actually held his bat out there at 2 of the 3 strikes and never attempted to pull it back. Never made a real attempt at the ball but left his bat out there for the ump to call a strike. But I blame that on Hughes for putting him there when he has two guys who have been in the lead off spot most all year in Jones and Rugley. In an important non con game like this to help your RPI he pulls something like that.

And actually it would have gone to extras if Brady Day hadn’t dropped a liner he caught in a shift playing shallow right field but it popped out. Would have ended the inning but put two shockers in scoring position and then a passéd ball moved them up and then a hit brought the lone run in. Just a wasted opportunity at an RPI road win and I believe Hughes is at least partially to blame,

I think he’s actually been a good recruiter. I’d give him an A- to B+, put he’s terrible with so much of the pregame and in game stuff. And I’m not sure he’s won a challenge all year. Was 0-2 tonight.

Now hopefully the cats don’t lose focus this weekend with SEMO coming to town. They need to sweep, as the wins won’t help but loses will definitely hurt.
Lodice has been in the leadoff spot recently before this. Thought Hughes liked to do that with a lefty pitcher. But think Wichita had a righty, so, IDK why you would put him. Does he play the wind out of north for a lefty to be up there?

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 4th, 2023, 9:27 pm

Watutalkaboutwillis wrote:
May 4th, 2023, 12:09 pm
bhoovy wrote:
May 2nd, 2023, 10:06 pm

Lodice has been in the leadoff spot recently before this. Thought Hughes liked to do that with a lefty pitcher. But think Wichita had a righty, so, IDK why you would put him. Does he play the wind out of north for a lefty to be up there?
You are correct. He lead off the previous game, which was the last game in the Tech series. I didn’t get to see that game so missed he had been put in the lead off.

I guess it’s just frustrating to me how often he changes the lineup. I know one thought is you just hit in whatever position you’re out in, but there are some spots in the lineup that just aren’t really quite like the others, like lead off, and not everyone has the mentality to be successful in that spot.

Wsu was a big RPI opportunity so I would have liked to seen them use who had been doing it, like Cash, and doing it pretty well. Fact is no one hit the ball well Tuesday night and I still don’t care for Hughes game decisions.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
PurpleOnWhite

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » May 5th, 2023, 4:46 pm

bhoovy

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » May 5th, 2023, 9:17 pm

tmcats wrote:
May 5th, 2023, 4:46 pm
Well it obviously is just a projection, but it’s good to see those that are projecting believe the Cats are a tournament team. Still work to do.

They got a less than impressive win against SEMO tonight winning 2-1, but it is a win and SEMO is very possibly a tournament team as the favorite to win their conference. Sweep this series and then go win a series in Stillwater I think they will be in a very good position.
These users thanked the author bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan

AlabamaLane

Post by AlabamaLane » May 6th, 2023, 7:44 pm

Cats win game two 12-5. Four long balls including a slam. Fajardo did a decent job on a day the wind was blowing out and the pen closed the door. With the OU win over WVU it moved the Cats a half game closer to the league lead.
These users thanked the author AlabamaLane for the post:
stlcatfan