K-State vs Texas

Come on in and chat about the women's basketball team!
tmcats

Pick 'Em

Re: K-State vs Texas

Post by tmcats » March 13th, 2024, 10:34 am

coach mittie detractors have had a long wait this year to make a comment. it's like learnin' coming back late in the season on the men's side in that way to take a shot a "crazy faith" tang.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » March 13th, 2024, 11:19 am

I think actually attempting to crash the boards on the offensive end would help our players a ton.. I suppose Mittie is afraid of getting beat in transition. I get that against teams live WV who want to play fast. But every team we play? I think our players would feel a little more freedom to shoot if it wasn't a 1 shot and done approach every time down the floor.

We have a 6'6 All American center. She can keep a lot of misses alive if given the opportunity. We are 3rd in the Big 12 in Defensive rebounding, but 12th in Offensuve rebounding. Largely due to the fact that we constantly bail back on defense as soon a shot goes up. A couple more 2nd chance points per game would make a huge difference. The putback by Gaston the other night was the game changer for example.

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » March 13th, 2024, 12:09 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 1:57 pm
greycat68 wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 1:20 pm
We still don’t have a player that can go get a basket one on one. We have no midrange game and we are only average 3 point shooters. If Mittie can’t lob it in to a big center he has no offense. Also, we are horrible at defending the high ball screen. That is coaching.
our three-point shooting does not compliment lee. state is next to last in treys percentage made. that's a real issue for this year's team and why i have concluded that gabby needs to shoot more, the others less.

k-state ranks seventh in both b12 offensive and defensive stats. we need to consider though that lee was out for much of the season and gabby has been hurt as well. still, they were right there at the with #5 texas.

https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path ... &year=2022
Hey TM I got to wondering how that stat line was possible for the Women this year. It didn't make sense to me with their record. I clicked on your link and that is the 2022 - 2023 stats. K-State ranked 6th in offense and 1st in Defense for 2023 - 2024 overall stats. No big deal was just pointing that out and now makes more sense to me.
Speaking of Lee being out. What's the odds of her returning for another year? Would be great!!!

DeereCatFan

Pick 'Em

Post by DeereCatFan » March 13th, 2024, 12:18 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 12th, 2024, 11:12 am
afterthoughts ...

1. this is a meaningless tournament except to the winner - probably texas;
2. state is just too reliant on lee who was good not great yesterday - 25 and 10;
3. i thought the highlight was glenn getting after madison booker defensively the second half - need more of that tenacity;
4. serena looks weary to me - exacerbated by the lip blow - six turnovers negated her six assists;
5. gabby was 3 for 5; 2 for 4 from behind the line - she is simply not shooting enough to my liking;
6. sanchez, sides, maupin all need to get in the weight room - they are too often mauled;
7. walker was the only cat with a positive number on the not-play-hard-chart - she was +4;
8. madison booker is a joy to watch - engineering student as well - i appreciate that;
9. iowa state has peaked at the right time - it will be an interesting final - i'm ambivalent;
10. our gals have a lot of hoops left to play this year - will be good to rest - then play teams who are not as familiar with them.
Get what your saying about 1. but I imagine teams like ISU, Ku and TCU were hoping that would boost them into NCAA tourney. I am not sure where they sit but would imagine ISU played their way in. Maybe TCU and KU are already considered in??
AND most importantly K-State Men - they need about 3 wins in there.

9 - I couldn't agree more. Toss up - know I shouldn't feel that way with Texas leaving, but ISU has worn thin on me this year. Mostly because they've owned K-State in pretty much everything and I hear it. Have a feeling with ISU's frosh class they may be pretty good for a few years. Got to hand it to Finley.