Recruiting Thread

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
stlcatfan

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by stlcatfan » February 18th, 2024, 5:32 pm

pharaohcat wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 2:15 pm
Add to these3 Finister and the freshmen and I think you have a very good start. We do need to pick up a true point and another good big, I am sure Coach Tang is aware of this.
Would Glover, Ames, and Castillo be considered true point guards? I think Finister could play point guard, if needed. We will need another big to replace McNair. I'm holding out hope (as faint as it is) that if Duke signs that 7'2 South African center, we can get Ngongba to transfer K-State due to his relationship with Coach Dowling. In the meantime, hopefully we can bring in another center transfer for next season.

I hope all three freshmen come back next season. I'm thinking if it's obvious we won't make the Tourney, then let's use the rest of the season to get our young guys (especially Jones and Rich) more court time. They get more experience and getting more playing time might convince them to stick around another year.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85katlander
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 19th, 2024, 7:08 am

I got curious to see if there was anyone else we were recruiting at center for next season. This name popped up on the K-State 247 Sports site: Doryan Onwucheckwa, a center out of Dallas. He was originally a Colorado commit, but decommitted just this past Friday (2/16). He received a lot of offers from power conference schools. He might be a good one to go after, especially since our coaching staff has a lot of Texas connections.

https://247sports.com/Player/Doryan-Onw ... -46109464/
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
AlabamaLane

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 19th, 2024, 1:53 pm

Doug Gottlieb is guest hosting for Cowherd, and had on a guest that we are not college basketball developing young players into professional ready players and good young men, but instead giving kids money, promoting them before they are grown men, and then watching their lives go to hell. Shame on me wanting our recruits to be instant stars. I forget these kids are young men not meat for ravenous fans to devour. Tang has the mindset. As a greedy fan, I don't.
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 4):
tmcatsstlcatfanpharaohcatrandallcat85

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 19th, 2024, 2:06 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 1:53 pm
Doug Gottlieb is guest hosting for Cowherd, and had on a guest that we are not college basketball developing young players into professional ready players and good young men, but instead giving kids money, promoting them before they are grown men, and then watching their lives go to hell. Shame on me wanting our recruits to be instant stars. I forget these kids are young men not meat for ravenous fans to devour. Tang has the mindset. As a greedy fan, I don't.
I agree with him. The transfer portal and NIL have significantly changed college basketball. It still bothers me that bad actors have totally abused what NIL was supposed to be about and the NCAA did little or nothing to stop them.

I know I am a homer, but I appreciate Coach Tang and his staff for trying to develop our young guys into grown men, which in the long run, is more important than wins and losses on the court.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 19th, 2024, 7:53 pm

stlcatfan wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 5:32 pm
pharaohcat wrote:
February 18th, 2024, 2:15 pm
Add to these3 Finister and the freshmen and I think you have a very good start. We do need to pick up a true point and another good big, I am sure Coach Tang is aware of this.
Would Glover, Ames, and Castillo be considered true point guards? I think Finister could play point guard, if needed. We will need another big to replace McNair. I'm holding out hope (as faint as it is) that if Duke signs that 7'2 South African center, we can get Ngongba to transfer K-State due to his relationship with Coach Dowling. In the meantime, hopefully we can bring in another center transfer for next season.

I hope all three freshmen come back next season. I'm thinking if it's obvious we won't make the Tourney, then let's use the rest of the season to get our young guys (especially Jones and Rich) more court time. They get more experience and getting more playing time might convince them to stick around another year.

Maybe we should go after the South African. Swing for the fences!

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=5f6e9aae ... hY2g&ntb=1
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
stlcatfan

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 19th, 2024, 8:53 pm

katlander wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 7:53 pm
stlcatfan wrote:

What's the old saying? Turnabout is fair play.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post (total 2):
randallcat85katlander

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 20th, 2024, 10:49 am

So are you an elite recruiter if you haven't landed a 5 star talent?
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post:
randallcat85

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 20th, 2024, 1:24 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
February 20th, 2024, 10:49 am
So are you an elite recruiter if you haven't landed a 5 star talent?

Hard to say in the era of NIL.

Maybe we should be asking high level recruits for their magic number. The number that will get them to sign on the dotted line. Then we at least would be more informed of what is going on.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post:
randallcat85

SCKSCat

Post by SCKSCat » February 22nd, 2024, 12:04 am

https://cowleytigers.com/sports/mbkb/20 ... 0220imrp1z
Jeff Nwankwo.
Interesting. Top Juco player in KS
These users thanked the author SCKSCat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanAlabamaLane

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 22nd, 2024, 6:45 am

katlander wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 7:53 pm
stlcatfan wrote:

That guy looks like a big project. I think he averages like 2 points & 4 rebounds a game, or vice versa. Not a guy you'd start from day one.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post:
randallcat85