UCF

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Re: UCF

Post by wild@nite » January 7th, 2024, 1:31 pm

Puffdad wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 4:01 am
I didn’t remember offering to bet but I can do that if you want. I’ll bet the ones who beat them by 40 will have played more than 7 players before the 2:01 mark at the end of the game. That would be a surety.
You honestly believe they will get beat by 40, 4 times or more? They arent a great team, but that seems a bit exaggerated.

Also, playing our guys that many minutes isn't ideal, but let's see how it plays out. I think he's making a statement that he believes needs to be made. He sees the daily habits and obviously doesn't like it.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post (total 2):
pharaohcatrandallcat85

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 7th, 2024, 1:50 pm

wild@nite wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 1:31 pm
Puffdad wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 4:01 am
I didn’t remember offering to bet but I can do that if you want. I’ll bet the ones who beat them by 40 will have played more than 7 players before the 2:01 mark at the end of the game. That would be a surety.
You honestly believe they will get beat by 40, 4 times or more? They arent a great team, but that seems a bit exaggerated.

Also, playing our guys that many minutes isn't ideal, but let's see how it plays out. I think he's making a statement that he believes needs to be made. He sees the daily habits and obviously doesn't like it.
kind of a baffling debate after a nice win.
These users thanked the author tmcats for the post:
pharaohcat
"What is your fair share of what someone else has worked for?" Sowell

pharaohcat

Post by pharaohcat » January 7th, 2024, 2:31 pm

Some people get a big wedge of apple pie and all they can say is where is the ice cream?
These users thanked the author pharaohcat for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 7th, 2024, 2:53 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 1:50 pm
wild@nite wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 1:31 pm

kind of a baffling debate after a nice win.
Agreed.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 7th, 2024, 3:41 pm

We played fine and better than we have all year because of a schedule break, but it won’t last if we can’t field more than 7 players with a 30 point lead and the game over. It will come back to bite us in lack of game experience and fatigue or injuries. Just asking for problems. And if we have 5 guys in the doghouse it doesn’t bode well for practices and the season. We’ve got 3 guys who lead the Big 12 in minutes logged. Not one, but three. NOT good.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 2):
randallcat85kswildcat

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 7th, 2024, 5:33 pm

Puffdad wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 3:41 pm
We played fine and better than we have all year because of a schedule break, but it won’t last if we can’t field more than 7 players with a 30 point lead and the game over. It will come back to bite us in lack of game experience and fatigue or injuries. Just asking for problems. And if we have 5 guys in the doghouse it doesn’t bode well for practices and the season. We’ve got 3 guys who lead the Big 12 in minutes logged. Not one, but three. NOT good.
First of all. Minutes by KS U players in non con were inflated by so many over time games

Now we just came off a two week break with only one game. So conference basically starts a new season when it comes to fatigue.
So in yesterdays games:
Perry and Cam are number 11 in Big 12 minutes at 35 minutes.
Kaluma is number 17 at 32 minutes.

35 and 32 minutes are not too many.
Minutes played might be an issue for fatigue as the season goes on but minutes played yesterday are not.
These users thanked the author xtrawildcat for the post (total 2):
wild@nitestlcatfan

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 7th, 2024, 7:27 pm

xtrawildcat wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 5:33 pm
Puffdad wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 3:41 pm
First of all. Minutes by KS U players in non con were inflated by so many over time games

Now we just came off a two week break with only one game. So conference basically starts a new season when it comes to fatigue.
So in yesterdays games:

Minutes played might be an issue for fatigue as the season goes on but minutes played yesterday are not.
Interesting stats that Cam and Perry are number 11 in minutes since they played 32 and 35 minutes but both end up at #11! And N’Guessan played more than Cam. Where was he? And where was Kaluma? He played 32 too. 😆

Totally unnecessary to forfeit playing experience in a blowout game. And to risk injury with starters that are tired. Also interesting you don’t think 35 minutes is much. Ever tried that? Guys take a break (while they’re playing) that play that long.

Check out the box score of the Houston-West Virginia blowout game. Much like ours. How many minutes did they play?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » January 7th, 2024, 8:17 pm

Puffdad wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 7:27 pm
xtrawildcat wrote:
January 7th, 2024, 5:33 pm

So in yesterdays games:

Interesting stats that Cam and Perry are number 11 in minutes since they played 32 and 35 minutes but both end up at #11! And N’Guessan played more than Cam. Where was he? And where was Kaluma? He played 32 too. 😆

Totally unnecessary to forfeit playing experience in a blowout game. And to risk injury with starters that are tired. Also interesting you don’t think 35 minutes is much. Ever tried that? Guys take a break (while they’re playing) that play that long.

Check out the box score of the Houston-West Virginia blowout game. Much like ours. How many minutes did they play?
I think we agree this isn't ideal, but when you're on the bubble, your team hasn't gelled or played particularly well for more than a 1/2, 2 key pieces of the puzzle you were building are gone, and the young dudes aren't quite living up to expectations, I guess I can understand the issue. Again, Tang is likely sending a message, not to mention they had 2 weeks off. If it keeps up, sure, it could be an issue, but I don't see it as one right now. Young fellas need to meet expectations in practice. Coach is the boss and I trust him in developing players the way he sees fit.
These users thanked the author wild@nite for the post:
Puffdad

xtrawildcat

Post by xtrawildcat » January 7th, 2024, 9:01 pm

Well you are right. Cam only played 32. I read the box score wrong and thought Cam had 35 so I plugged him in at number 11 with Perry on the Big 12 list I first looked at. But that list did not include all the conference players with big minutes

So I found the complete list of minutes in the first Big 12 games and need to correct what I listed.

Perry was #16 at 35 minutes.
DNG was #21 at 33 minutes 20 seconds.
Cam and Kaluma had 32 and did not make the top 25 in the conference.

https://big12sports.com/stats.aspx?path ... onf=trueJj

Your concern about minutes is legitimate And not bringing more bench players along may be an issue over the course of the Conference season and I would have liked to see more bench minutes against UCF
But the minutes played by Kaluma, Cam and Perry on Saturday are not an issue and might even be positive in bringing them up to game speed shape for upcoming games.

And regarding Houston. When you are number 1 in the net rankings, your efficiency numbers in a blow out do not matter much. When you are 94 in the net, you need to maximize efficiency numbers to raise your net ranking. Ì IMO, it is a big flaw in the net ranking systems and has artificially inflated the net rankings of teams like BYU and ISU.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » January 7th, 2024, 9:09 pm

Could be right about us playing for net rankings. I’d have a lot of trouble not coaching to win as many games as I could down the road in the conference.
These users thanked the author Puffdad for the post (total 2):
randallcat85PurpleOnWhite