The defending Big XII Champions
stlcatfan

Re: Recruiting Thread

Post by stlcatfan » February 19th, 2024, 8:34 pm

bhoovy wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 7:22 pm
stlcatfan wrote:
February 19th, 2024, 6:57 pm
1st commitment in the 2025 class! QB Dillon Duff out of DeSmet High School in St. Louis.
https://247sports.com/player/dillon-duff-46142124/

It looks like the 247 page has not updated yet, but it is being reported that he has committed to K-State. Welcome Dillon!

https://kansasstate.rivals.com/news/202 ... nsas-state (Don't worry. It's not behind a pay wall.) :)
stlcatfan have you seen him play?
No, I haven't. The last high school football I watched in St. Louis was around 2019. I watched a podcast with Mason Voth and Drew Galloway and they mentioned it was just last fall that Dillon was starting for DeSmet. I moved to Manhattan last summer so I was not familiar with his name.

By the way, it looks like the 247 page has now been updated. There is video of him playing at the bottom of the page.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 20th, 2024, 10:29 pm

Dillon seems like a really good pickup. DeSmet is like Rockhurst, a top football & athletic Catholic School in the St. Louis area. If he starts for them, then he's got talent. I know Avery will get the start at KSU next season, but there's no reason to not restock the QB Stable. You'll never know when you might need a good backup.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 20th, 2024, 10:43 pm

Dillon looks really good. The improvement from his sophomore to his junior year is significant. He may very well be a 4 star by the time he gets here.

I believe Klieman has said that he tries to recruit a QB every year.

The staff is doing a good job of getting on prospects earlier.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
stlcatfanrandallcat85

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 21st, 2024, 8:09 am

Ryan Wallace posted on twitter that he watched film of Dillon and that watching him gave a lot of Skylar vibes, said he just kind of looked like Skylar, same number, same playing style, but is more athletic and has a better arm than Skylar.

I will take a more physically gifted Skylar Thompson any day of the week.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post (total 3):
tmcatsstlcatfanrandallcat85

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 21st, 2024, 5:04 pm

Gorhoops wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 8:09 am
Ryan Wallace posted on twitter that he watched film of Dillon and that watching him gave a lot of Skylar vibes, said he just kind of looked like Skylar, same number, same playing style, but is more athletic and has a better arm than Skylar.

Fitz compared him to a larger Jesse Ertz on film, with a better arm & more athletic.
These users thanked the author KSUbetcha for the post (total 2):
randallcat85stlcatfan

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » February 22nd, 2024, 9:50 am

KSUbetcha wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 5:04 pm
Gorhoops wrote:
February 21st, 2024, 8:09 am

Fitz compared him to a larger Jesse Ertz on film, with a better arm & more athletic.

Not bad either, Jesse Ertz was a dang good QB, just had horrible luck with injuries.
These users thanked the author Gorhoops for the post:
KSUbetcha

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 22nd, 2024, 3:55 pm

In the days of NIL we better stack up talented QBs like cord wood. Good ones can be bought and those who do not play will soon transfer.
These users thanked the author katlander for the post (total 2):
randallcat85KSUbetcha

stlcatfan

Post by stlcatfan » February 22nd, 2024, 11:00 pm

katlander wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 3:55 pm
In the days of NIL we better stack up talented QBs like cord wood. Good ones can be bought and those who do not play will soon transfer.
That's definitely one of the downsides of the transfer portal and NIL. They can be a depth destroyer for a team. The number two guys on the depth chart often feel they are good enough to start and are tempted to leave their current team with hopes of being a starter at another school right away, rather than waiting their turn to move up. The transfer portal and NIL money make it easier than ever to leave, causing depth issues for the team they leave.
These users thanked the author stlcatfan for the post:
randallcat85
"Don't believe everything you read on the Internet." -- Abraham Lincoln

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 23rd, 2024, 11:18 am

stlcatfan wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 11:00 pm
katlander wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 3:55 pm
That's definitely one of the downsides of the transfer portal and NIL. They can be a depth destroyer for a team. The number two guys on the depth chart often feel they are good enough to start and are tempted to leave their current team with hopes of being a starter at another school right away, rather than waiting their turn to move up. The transfer portal and NIL money make it easier than ever to leave, causing depth issues for the team they leave.
they leave either for money or not seeing a future. lee and savage were clearly for "the bag." savage is the first "that hurts" from our portal, unless you want to make a case for will howard? we'll see on that one. i'm glad lee is gone.

the other losses seem to be for playing time. it will be interesting to see the culling after spring ball here and across the pantheon of college football (and hoops). the process has been a clear net positive for klieman.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 23rd, 2024, 1:26 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 23rd, 2024, 11:18 am
stlcatfan wrote:
February 22nd, 2024, 11:00 pm

they leave either for money or not seeing a future. lee and savage were clearly for "the bag." savage is the first "that hurts" from our portal, unless you want to make a case for will howard? we'll see on that one. i'm glad lee is gone.

the other losses seem to be for playing time. it will be interesting to see the culling after spring ball here and across the pantheon of college football (and hoops). the process has been a clear net positive for klieman.
If he's at DeSmet HS, a private Jesuit Catholic school his family is probably pretty well off. It was pretty dang expensive when my roomate from K-State went there. That was a while ago. Maybe he'll stay for the duration until AJ leaves.