Pullen for coach.

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
SCKSCat
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 43 times

Pullen for coach.

Post by SCKSCat » March 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm

Jacob said in a 24/7 he would love to coach at KSU. I think he would be a good candidate for Korn replacement.

bhoovy
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 212 times

Pick 'Em

Post by bhoovy » March 26th, 2020, 10:28 pm

SCKSCat wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 9:51 pm
Jacob said in a 24/7 he would love to coach at KSU. I think he would be a good candidate for Korn replacement.
Wasn’t one of Korn’s jobs coaching the post players? I love Jacob, and he may end up being a very good coach, but I’d really like to see Weber add someone who can coach and recruits post players.
These users liked bhoovy for the post:
stlcatfan (March 27th, 2020, 8:54 am)

learnin
Has liked: 747 times
Been liked: 413 times

Post by learnin » March 26th, 2020, 11:48 pm

It would be nice to give Jake a shot at getting into coaching. I would love to see him on the bench and I believe he could make a good coach from watching him during the summer camps.

Puffdad
Has liked: 328 times
Been liked: 488 times

Post by Puffdad » March 27th, 2020, 5:21 am

bhoovy wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:28 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
Wasn’t one of Korn’s jobs coaching the post players? I love Jacob, and he may end up being a very good coach, but I’d really like to see Weber add someone who can coach and recruits post players.
It won't be Jacob for right now and yes Korn was the post coach. Brooks was before him. Probably JO or possibly Southwell. I pulled the old resume out of the desk drawer and dusted it off some.....lol
These users liked Puffdad for the post (total 3):
bindweed (March 27th, 2020, 7:58 am) • stlcatfan (March 27th, 2020, 8:54 am) • kswildcat (March 27th, 2020, 10:54 am)

iowa_wildcat
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 40 times

Post by iowa_wildcat » March 27th, 2020, 5:35 am

Bruce Weber will prove to be one of the most forgiving people on earth if he even considers hiring Jacob Pullen. No one has been a more vocal critic of the hiring or retention of Bruce Weber than Jacob Pullen.
These users liked iowa_wildcat for the post:
Hypeman (March 27th, 2020, 6:33 am)

xtrawildcat
Has liked: 17 times
Been liked: 189 times

Post by xtrawildcat » March 27th, 2020, 9:11 am

I don't see Pullen as a good candidate due to not having recruiting ties and experience.

I don't think Weber would have a problem hiring him if he thought he could help them get better.

From the Mercury. Oct 2018

PULLEN BACKS WEBER
Jacob Pullen backs Weber: 'Utmost respect for Bruce,' all-time leading scorer says

“Bruce Weber didn’t think I was good enough to play at Illinois and I don’t think he’s good enough to coach at Kansas State,” Pullen wrote in a tweet.

At the time Weber joined the Wildcats, he was fresh from being fired at Illinois. But now that Weber has guided the Wildcats to back-to-back NCAA Tournaments — including a run to the Elite Eight last season — Pullen is on board.
“I have got the utmost respect for Bruce Weber and I love everything he is doing with this program,” Pullen said after K-State’s Madness in Manhattan basketball event Friday. “I support everything he is doing with this program.”

Looking back on it, Pullen said his harsh words for Weber early on were a challenge.
It was also a bit personal. A Chicago native, he grew up cheering for Weber’s Illini teams. He wanted to emulate the 2005 team — which made it to the national title game in St. Louis, where it fell to North Carolina — and its iconic guard trio of Deron Williams, Dee Brown and Luther Head.

Brown went to Pullen’s high school; Head is from the same neighborhood.
It all fit together in Pullen’s mind.
“So me and a couple of my friends, we wanted to play together,” he said. “We wanted to be sort of like that tandem, those three guys. But when he didn’t really recruit me and he was looking for Derrick Rose and stuff, I kind of took bitter to Coach Weber at that young age.”
That bitterness continued after Weber replaced Martin, who left for South Carolina.
“When I made the comments coming out of college, it was more so out of him not winning at Illinois,” Pullen said. “Then him getting the job, then Frank just winning and leaving. I was looking at it like I didn’t understand the direction we were going into.”
He does now.
“At the end of the day, winning cures everything,” Pullen said. “Coach Weber has shown that his system can win and that he can get guys in from different cities and get them to play together. That’s what college basketball is about.”

JOKKO
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by JOKKO » March 27th, 2020, 9:38 am

No thanks. I do believe Pullen & Coach have buried the hatchet, but there is no way Pullen steps straight into an assistant position. If JO gets the promotion, Pullen may take his spot or something down the line.

All that being said, people get so worked up about wanting someone w KSU ties. Personally, I am against it (to a point). That is what got the FB team in trouble as almost all the coaches had played for KSU. BB has a much smaller staff and having a bunch of coaches that played at KSU limits recruiting range. The one saving grace is that Pullen played for a different staff while JO played for both. I know people will 100% disagree w me on that view, but a coaching staff needs to have some diversity.

Highway26north
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 90 times

Post by Highway26north » March 27th, 2020, 10:42 am

A little more background on Pullen's recruiting. It was definitely a mistake on Weber's part, assuming Jake's grades were OK for Ill. They'd been known to pull the plug over the coaches' heads on marginal academic guys. The UI AD at the time was a stickler for compliance in the wake of UI's bad history with the NCAA (they got sanctioned for a bunch of BS crap through the years, but also got a lot of guys out of Chicago in the Henson era that you had to rub your eyes to think were completely on the up and up).

Self, obviously, was a fish out of water in that environment and when KS job opened up I'm sure it took him about 10 seconds to decide to leave for "greener" pastures. Even then he had an informal commitment from a big from the East Coast, Charlie Villanueva, that would have been icing on the cake for the uber-talented but guard-oriented 2005 NCAA runner-up. No Self, No Charlie.

I presume that Weber felt the '05 team gave him a big leg up in Chicago, and Pullen's story is good evidence that this was the case. But...as for Rose, the handwriting was on the wall from the get-go in HUGE capital letters that his posse, led by his sheriff brother, was not going to go to the good old state U out of a sense of solidarity. Rose was by far the best HS player I've ever seen. He was built like an NBA all-star in 11th grade. But Weber should have figured early on that he was a lost cause and looked elsewhere. It's hard to recreate how much cred Weber had after '05 and I guess he figured that might carry the day. So he lost Rose and then Self came into the state and bought a couple of the brightest stars from subsequent years (Julian Wright; Sherron Collins). The magic disappeared. and the fandom turned on Weber.

In retrospect I'd imagine that Weber completely agrees with Pullen that he shoulda offered him!
These users liked Highway26north for the post:
tmcats (March 27th, 2020, 11:19 am)

Watutalkaboutwillis
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 34 times

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » March 27th, 2020, 11:02 am

They need a post coach. If they can get one(JO or whoever) and add JP somehow that would be great. They need someone that can identify and coach the point guards too. IMO, they lost alot of guard coaching after the last round of coaches leaving. Don't blame them a bit for moving up, but just don't see the growth in the guards like we did before that. Pullen may be able to reach those young ones better and show them how to lead a team. That is what we are missing. Pullen may not be the right guy but I'd like to see.

SCKSCat
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 43 times

Post by SCKSCat » March 27th, 2020, 11:06 am

bhoovy wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 10:28 pm
SCKSCat wrote:
Tall doesn't equate to ability to coach big men. Korn was Mawien's coach, rest my case. Pullen will bring fire in the belly mentality that we lost when Chet left