i'm surprised the lost revenue is this low ...

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
tmcats
Has liked: 1013 times
Been liked: 712 times

Pick 'Em

i'm surprised the lost revenue is this low ...

Post by tmcats » March 26th, 2020, 2:54 pm

if true, $1.5-2.0 million is just a bleep on $100 million member budgets. once again, k-state financials are very strong giving gene taylor room to maneuver. now if football goes away next fall, watch out!

"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

JOKKO
Has liked: 62 times
Been liked: 46 times

Post by JOKKO » March 26th, 2020, 3:08 pm

tmcats wrote:
March 26th, 2020, 2:54 pm
if true, $1.5-2.0 million is just a bleep on $100 million member budgets. once again, k-state financials are very strong giving gene taylor room to maneuver. now if football goes away next fall, watch out!

The only 2 sports that make money are men's BB & FB. The other sports are just supported by revenue from those 2. I agree it is a little surprising, but everyone knows FB is the cash cow.

I honestly have no clue how the networks and the NCAA will come to terms with no tournament. Do they just extend the contract one more year, or does the NCAA give them a refund for 2020?

The spring sports don't have any good tv contracts to worry about, which may have been why they were cancelled so quickly.

Oh what we would give to have those college spring sports now!!!

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 26th, 2020, 3:28 pm

the ncaa has a balance sheet surplus and insurance that will cover some portion of lost cbs/turner tournament revenues. how much isn't known today. the institution is anything but transparent. :|

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 26th, 2020, 5:09 pm

Commissioner Bob Bowlsby revealed during a media teleconference Thursday afternoon the Big 12 lost roughly $6.6 million when its men’s and women’s basketball tournaments were shut down two weeks ago. Plus, the NCAA announced a little before Bowlsby’s session that it will be distributing $375 million less to its members than planned, because of the revenue lost with the cancelation of the NCAA men’s basketball championship.

Bowlsby said the Big 12 would normally receive about $24 million from what was budgeted as a $600 million distribution, but instead the conference expects to get roughly $10 million of the reworked $225 million distribution ... Bowlsby projected the league could see a loss in the $15 to $18 million range in distributions.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2020/mar/ ... and-commi/

Hypeman
Has liked: 127 times
Been liked: 150 times

Post by Hypeman » March 26th, 2020, 5:33 pm

Seems logical.

The big hit will come if networks continue to have declining football viewership and people continue to decide they don’t want to go to BSFS and be around the crowd. Lost ticket sales and potentially lower TV revenue could be catastrophic.

Alternatively, people may be tired of being indoors and CFB attendance will rebound.

PurpleOnWhite
Has liked: 102 times
Been liked: 110 times

Pick 'Em

Post by PurpleOnWhite » March 26th, 2020, 7:32 pm

It will be interesting to see how many fans do not re-up their WSC club, loge or suite
commitments. Mine expire 3/31 unless I re-up. The effect of the virus may show its ugly face.

Ksustephens
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 62 times

Post by Ksustephens » March 26th, 2020, 7:59 pm

Our economy is going to take such a hit that only the elite will be able to attend sports. The average person won’t be able to afford the high priced tickets. And another poster talked about people no wanting to be in crowds. How many fans are 50+ and in a more vulnerable category? All this talk about free agency and big Mahomes contract etc - folks corporations are going to take a hit - my money is now going towards feeding my family and paying my mortgage - live high dollar sports is the furthest thing from my mind unfortunately

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 27th, 2020, 9:35 am

the future rests on science coming up a c'virus fix. if that happens relatively soon, we'll get back to normal quickly. if it doesn't, god only knows what's ahead.

i see they postponed the wildcat auction till fall and canceled the catbacker tour completely. not surprising.