Income Inequality

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
Opensource
Posts: 1003
Joined: September 16th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times

Re: Income Inequality

Post by Opensource » February 13th, 2020, 7:29 pm

College sports should be moved into the capitalist system anyhow. They should pay for their own land and stadiums.

tmcats
Posts: 6982
Joined: September 3rd, 2013, 1:09 pm
Has liked: 924 times
Been liked: 666 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 13th, 2020, 8:17 pm

opensource, at least you bring me chuckles, so that's a high purpose served. baby-slaughtering planned parenthood is worthy; catholic charities like st. jude's hospital are not. takes like yours make the anti-government case far better than i can.

https://www.forbes.com/top-charities/list/#tab:rank
These users liked tmcats for the post:
KITNooga (February 14th, 2020, 9:16 am)
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Opensource
Posts: 1003
Joined: September 16th, 2017, 7:14 pm
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 52 times

Post by Opensource » February 14th, 2020, 1:27 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 8:17 pm
opensource, at least you bring me chuckles, so that's a high purpose served. baby-slaughtering planned parenthood is worthy; catholic charities like st. jude's hospital are not. takes like yours make the anti-government case far better than i can.

https://www.forbes.com/top-charities/list/#tab:rank
Well, your mythology gets it wrong.

Planned parenthood delivering contraception decreases abortion rates.

https://www.brookings.edu/blog/up-front ... tion-rate/

https://www.vox.com/identities/2017/1/1 ... th-control

The problem with religious institutions in general now is they often become capitalist systems that don't have to pay taxes under the separation of church and state. I am not down playing the importance of people giving. But, much of this is not about giving. It is about a religious group running a business that doesn't have to pay taxes and then using that as an excuse to discriminate and not provide services to all.

And, your "baby-slaughtering" inflammatory language isn't a view that many hold. This isn't my position. But as you know, some people don't believe a clump of cells is a baby. On the other side of the argument, I can see how some people believe an unfertilized egg waiting for in vitro fertilization should have some protection by law as well. Government taking away a women's right to define that line is a tricky thing that I am surprised conservatives want to let government take control of.

learnin
Moderator
Posts: 12067
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 670 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by learnin » February 15th, 2020, 1:26 am

spot2180 wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 1:43 pm
learnin wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 1:29 pm


Spot, I insist on BALANCE. Balance is the only thing that is not an ideology....it's not set in stone.....it's living......it's adaptable......it's debatable.

Ideologues are destroyers and anti life. Life is fluid, it changes in order to survive. If it doesn't adapt, it dies.

So, I'm not for socialism. I'm for a BALANCE of socialism and private ownership.

I'm not for a free market. I'm for a balance of free market and control.

The very word restraint speaks of balance.

Every poster here is for some socialism. If not, this country will die!


Once we agree that balance is the only way to proceed, we are free to sit down and debate what is needed to maintain balance. We are free to debate how much taxation is too much.

This country has done well because it was founded on balance and opened up the discussion to well thought out principles and adaptation to the times and change when change is called for.
Socialism and the idea of social justice are the antithesis of balance. Socialism picks winners and losers and there is no balance than that. So your answer sounds great, but you want to somehow create balance by some unnatural means.
Nice try. I didn't say anything about socialism being balanced. I am not a proponent of socialism. On the other hand, I'm not a proponent of unrestrained free market capitalism. I am for a balanced capitalism which requires the government to place restraints on the capitalist system.

There isn't a system, on this planet, that can operate freely without restraint. You know this. I know this and every honest person on this forum knows this. When we let go of ideology, we can sit down at a table and discuss what needs to be restrained and how much restraint is needed. In a few years, that might need to be tweaked. This is how a proper society works.

learnin
Moderator
Posts: 12067
Joined: September 18th, 2013, 1:41 pm
Has liked: 670 times
Been liked: 372 times

Post by learnin » February 15th, 2020, 1:33 am

tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm
from dastardly travelers insurance web site:

We contributed more than $25 million to the communities where we live and work, for a total of more than $218 million over the past decade ... In 2018, our employees gave more than 120,000 hours of their time toward important causes. They also donated more than $3.3 million toward the company’s Community Connections Campaign, which supports thousands of nonprofits, including the United Way ...
The government grants subsidies to cities for infrastructure projects. The government grants subsidies for private businesses and entrepreneurs. At a big Naval base, in Indiana, there are dozens of new buildings around it's periphery that are new private businesses that are working with the government to supply items needed.

Your point? Bill Gates gives hundreds of millions away. Does that mean it's okay for him to have billions to burn while others can't afford to go to the doctor?

spot2180
Posts: 5208
Joined: November 12th, 2017, 10:32 am
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by spot2180 » February 15th, 2020, 7:22 am

tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 8:17 pm
opensource, at least you bring me chuckles, so that's a high purpose served. baby-slaughtering planned parenthood is worthy; catholic charities like st. jude's hospital are not. takes like yours make the anti-government case far better than i can.

https://www.forbes.com/top-charities/list/#tab:rank
Is that list legit? I thought I'd see the Clinton Foundation on that list near the top, but nada. Not even on it. :D
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." ~ Aldous Huxley
"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it." - Thomas Sowell

KITNooga
Posts: 5494
Joined: September 19th, 2017, 8:22 am
Has liked: 311 times
Been liked: 263 times

Post by KITNooga » February 15th, 2020, 7:53 am

learnin wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 1:33 am
Your point? Bill Gates gives hundreds of millions away. Does that mean it's okay for him to have billions to burn while others can't afford to go to the doctor?
it IS okay for Bill Gates to have billions to burn. not because he gives hundreds of millions away, but because HE EARNED IT.

spot2180
Posts: 5208
Joined: November 12th, 2017, 10:32 am
Has liked: 146 times
Been liked: 70 times

Post by spot2180 » February 15th, 2020, 8:15 am

learnin wrote:
February 15th, 2020, 1:33 am
tmcats wrote:
February 13th, 2020, 1:39 pm
from dastardly travelers insurance web site:

We contributed more than $25 million to the communities where we live and work, for a total of more than $218 million over the past decade ... In 2018, our employees gave more than 120,000 hours of their time toward important causes. They also donated more than $3.3 million toward the company’s Community Connections Campaign, which supports thousands of nonprofits, including the United Way ...
The government grants subsidies to cities for infrastructure projects. The government grants subsidies for private businesses and entrepreneurs. At a big Naval base, in Indiana, there are dozens of new buildings around it's periphery that are new private businesses that are working with the government to supply items needed.

Your point? Bill Gates gives hundreds of millions away. Does that mean it's okay for him to have billions to burn while others can't afford to go to the doctor?
For someone who claims he isn't a socialist, learnin, you certainly seem to be in favor of communist idea here: taking money from people who earned it, by force if necessary, and giving it to people who didn't earn it. How does that work out? Dear Leaders get richer while the general population stay poor. Income redistribution that benefits all is a lie. Two recent instances where this kind of socialist idea was instituted this practice? It didn't work in Venezuela, and Castro was one of the richest people in the world. So this kind of thinking is unintelligent at best. Why do you lefties keep pushing ideas that we all know have never worked?
"Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored." ~ Aldous Huxley
"Socialism in general has a record of failure so blatant that only an intellectual could ignore or evade it." - Thomas Sowell

ToledoCat#2
Posts: 4067
Joined: December 2nd, 2017, 9:53 am
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 223 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 15th, 2020, 11:40 am

I'd like to define the term "socialist" as it should be used on this forum. To me, "socialism" is defined by the extremes of Communism, Nazi, Fascism, Cuba, North Korea, China, Venezuela. Those are socialist systems that exist by depressing, controlling, even killing their citizens.

I don't even define in my mind "socialism" as every little bit of government intrusion into my life. I'm a product of government assistance and I've repaid the government many times over for its "help" at a time in my life when I needed it. That's a good thing.

Socialism is extreme. We need a new term for well-regulated capitalism. Calling each other "socialists" is wrong because I know not a person on this board wants this country to become Russia, Cuba, North Korea, China or Venezuela.

User avatar
WIldWIllieCat
Posts: 17239
Joined: September 7th, 2013, 7:30 am
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 248 times

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 15th, 2020, 11:52 am

Fascism is a far-right ideology.
"The peculiar office of a demagogue is to advance his own interests, by affecting a deep devotion to the interests of the people. .”

Post Reply