Defense 2 deep roster

Welcome Chris Klieman to K-State!
leatherneck1059
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 0

Defense 2 deep roster

Post by leatherneck1059 » August 14th, 2019, 2:12 pm

I have a good idea what the d-line will look like, but not sure about the LB’s and secondary. Can you guys please give your input on what you think the defensive 2 deep will look like. I appreciate any input/opinions you could share.

wild@nite
Has liked: 45 times
Been liked: 249 times

Post by wild@nite » August 14th, 2019, 2:16 pm

Go to YouTube and look up Coach Malone media day. He gives some insight, but they are in the tinkering stage still, it sounds.

AJcat7755
Has liked: 15 times
Been liked: 120 times

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » August 14th, 2019, 4:50 pm

The starting LB will be Da'Quan Patton and Elijiah Sullivan.

Cody Fletcher, Daniel Green and Eric Gallon would be in mix for the backups. I think you can pencil in Flecther. The question is if they go with talent in Green but maybe some growing pains, over years of experience in college football with Gallon. Outside of those, the rest are all FR or rFR or walkons so not much to choose from.

Secondary they are still moving things around as they don't seem to be sold on a NB.

Denzel Goolsby will start at SS as the returning starter and guessing Jahron McPherson is the starting FS with backups of Brock Monty and Wayne Jones. But others could be in the mix for backups.

AJ Parker will be one of the starting CBs. The question is where does Walter Neil JR play (CB or NB) and who gets the nod between Jonathan Alexander and Johnathon Durahm.
These users liked AJcat7755 for the post (total 2):
Tbonespop (August 14th, 2019, 8:00 pm) • opcatzen (August 20th, 2019, 9:30 pm)

tmcats
Has liked: 582 times
Been liked: 361 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » August 20th, 2019, 12:13 pm

AJcat7755 wrote:
August 14th, 2019, 4:50 pm
The starting LB will be Da'Quan Patton and Elijiah Sullivan.

Cody Fletcher, Daniel Green and Eric Gallon would be in mix for the backups. I think you can pencil in Flecther. The question is if they go with talent in Green but maybe some growing pains, over years of experience in college football with Gallon. Outside of those, the rest are all FR or rFR or walkons so not much to choose from.

Secondary they are still moving things around as they don't seem to be sold on a NB.

Denzel Goolsby will start at SS as the returning starter and guessing Jahron McPherson is the starting FS with backups of Brock Monty and Wayne Jones. But others could be in the mix for backups.

AJ Parker will be one of the starting CBs. The question is where does Walter Neil JR play (CB or NB) and who gets the nod between Jonathan Alexander and Johnathon Durahm.
sounds now like patton and sullivan at linebackers; goolsby and jones at safeties; alexander at nickle; with a.j. and neil at corners.
These users liked tmcats for the post:
AJcat7755 (August 20th, 2019, 12:20 pm)
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

Watutalkaboutwillis
Been liked: 21 times

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » August 20th, 2019, 1:57 pm

McPherson is starting nickel with Alexander as backup.
These users liked Watutalkaboutwillis for the post:
AJcat7755 (August 20th, 2019, 1:57 pm)

Tbonespop
Has liked: 72 times
Been liked: 165 times

Post by Tbonespop » August 20th, 2019, 2:33 pm

Interesting comment about Jones being the most athletic player on the entire team. Also liked hearing coach Malone talking about our nickel back needing to be really strong at playing man defense given what we are trying to do in the secondary. Loved hearing both of these comments. Successfully defending the spread offenses in the B12 starts with what you have your CBs doing (not the DL or LBers).

Gorhoops
Been liked: 134 times

Post by Gorhoops » August 20th, 2019, 2:43 pm

Yeah, pretty high praise for Jones in yesterday's post practice chats. Sounded like the coaches are saying he may very well be one of the best players on the team overall, not just in the Safety room.

Also was nice to hear Coach P mention that Eli Huggans has had as good a camp as anyone in the DT room, and that Pola Mao has flashed a few times and also mentioned PIckle coming along nicely as well. They likely won't play a ton behind Dishon, Davies, Mittie and Wiley, but it helps for next year to have a few young guys making strides at DT.

The guy I haven't heard mentioned much that is kind of surprising to me is Lance Robinson. I thought he looked pretty good in his few games last year and thought he would have helped in the ISU game had he had another game to play, but it sounds like they want to leave him at one spot and not move him around, and he is just behind some good talent at CB.
These users liked Gorhoops for the post:
Tbonespop (August 20th, 2019, 3:55 pm)