dow tops 27,000 for first time ...

Politics and religion: two polarizing topics that deserve their own little place
tmcats
Has liked: 675 times
Been liked: 450 times

Pick 'Em

dow tops 27,000 for first time ...

Post by tmcats » July 11th, 2019, 5:29 pm

this after liberal economist paul krugman said it would tank with trump's election. :rofl:

"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK

ChemicalKat
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 25 times

Post by ChemicalKat » July 11th, 2019, 6:30 pm

The economist says that the stock market is a good indicator for the economy? If you know anything about economics you’d know that there’s a lot of things that should make you nervous.

NealyFan
Has liked: 27 times
Been liked: 67 times

Post by NealyFan » July 11th, 2019, 6:58 pm

Always happy to see good returns. I am still three decades from retirement, so I will be at the card table awhile longer. I am worried that we could be riding another debt bubble. And as soon as the next recession hits it will get exacerbated.

Regardless, if the economy is doing this well, why cut interest rates?
Last edited by NealyFan on July 12th, 2019, 5:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

katlander
Been liked: 146 times

Post by katlander » July 11th, 2019, 10:28 pm

We have painted ourselves into a corner with debt. One way out was to get the economy humping and generate more income, wealth, and tax revenue, then we have to hold spending to a level where there can be a surplus. The surplus basically means we have money left to reduce the debt.

KITNooga
Has liked: 134 times
Been liked: 154 times

Post by KITNooga » July 11th, 2019, 10:34 pm

ChemicalKat wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:30 pm
The economist says that the stock market is a good indicator for the economy? If you know anything about economics you’d know that there’s a lot of things that should make you nervous.
are you suggesting the economy and concern lays completely at the feet of one party? do you overlook past history?

let me know when you are nervous enough that y ou pull all your $$ out of the market.

by the way, are we talking 'nobel laureate' paul krugman?

or partisan-hack paul krugman?

:rofl:

if I tell you the market will hit 280000, eventually I will be right. it's how, when that is yet to be determined. Paul (and you) suggesting it's 'going to go down' is like saying the sun will rise tomorrow in the east.

by the way, my 'guess' is that when the market goes down next, corrects, all the folks who say it's not a good economic indicator will all of a sudden reverse course.

(it's almost like I've seen it before!)

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » July 12th, 2019, 5:37 am

Pretty sure Chem was not trying to make a partisan point here.

NealyFan

Post by NealyFan » July 12th, 2019, 5:38 am

katlander wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 10:28 pm
We have painted ourselves into a corner with debt. One way out was to get the economy humping and generate more income, wealth, and tax revenue, then we have to hold spending to a level where there can be a surplus. The surplus basically means we have money left to reduce the debt.
Not happening. Debt is still rising

ChemicalKat
Been liked: 25 times

Post by ChemicalKat » July 12th, 2019, 6:03 am

KITNooga wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 10:34 pm
ChemicalKat wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 6:30 pm
are you suggesting the economy and concern lays completely at the feet of one party? do you overlook past history?

let me know when you are nervous enough that y ou pull all your $$ out of the market.

if I tell you the market will hit 280000, eventually I will be right. it's how, when that is yet to be determined. Paul (and you) suggesting it's 'going to go down' is like saying the sun will rise tomorrow in the east.

by the way, my 'guess' is that when the market goes down next, corrects, all the folks who say it's not a good economic indicator will all of a sudden reverse course.

Nealy is right, this wasn’t a partisan point. You’re also conflating “going down” to “going to 0”. Common mistake.

I actually need to bow out of this conversation if we are going to talk about investments rather than the economy. I can’t have you guys conflate what I say on an anonymous board as investment advice. Not that you listen to me anyways but better safe than sorry.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » July 12th, 2019, 6:05 am

NealyFan wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 5:37 am
Pretty sure Chem was not trying to make a partisan point here.
pretty sure I was calling my shot 'somewhere in the future' here.

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » July 12th, 2019, 6:44 am

ChemicalKat wrote:
July 12th, 2019, 6:03 am
KITNooga wrote:
July 11th, 2019, 10:34 pm

Nealy is right, this wasn’t a partisan point. You’re also conflating “going down” to “going to 0”. Common mistake.

I actually need to bow out of this conversation if we are going to talk about investments rather than the economy. I can’t have you guys conflate what I say on an anonymous board as investment advice. Not that you listen to me anyways but better safe than sorry.
respect your need to exit. but re-read my post. I think you missed the issues cleanly. if not completely