Texas Game Thread

Discussion related to the K-State men's basketball team
powercat95
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Re: Texas Game Thread

Post by powercat95 » February 13th, 2019, 2:15 pm

So I guess Matthew McConaughey is a "Minister of Culture" for UT :) and is helping with a new basketball arena.
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/282 ... nsas-state

The new $338 million basketball arena will replace the Erwin center. One thing I find interesting is that the new arena will only seat 10k for basketball (vs 16.5k in Erwin). I believe this would be the lowest in the Big 12(?) Guess they have trouble drawing crowds (last night's attendance was 9,418).
Rather remarkable considering they have 50,000 students in a city with over 950,000.

I want Bramlage full for every game but this makes me feel somewhat better considering we have 1/2 the students and 1/20 of the city population that Texas has.

https://sports.yahoo.com/texas-unveils- ... 09117.html

Piedmontcat
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 38 times

Post by Piedmontcat » February 14th, 2019, 12:50 am

The days of big, multipurpose, college basketball arenas is over. Attendance is down at most places. OU is trying to replace their gym with a much smaller one. TCU’s newly redone gym is smaller than some high school gyms (max less than 7k). KU, ISU and even KSU are becoming outliers where large numbers of people, especially students, show up. When you watch games on TV, there are lots of empty seats in most arenas around the country.

KITNooga
Has liked: 51 times
Been liked: 79 times

Post by KITNooga » February 14th, 2019, 4:09 am

Piedmontcat wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 12:50 am
The days of big, multipurpose, college basketball arenas is over. Attendance is down at most places. OU is trying to replace their gym with a much smaller one. TCU’s newly redone gym is smaller than some high school gyms (max less than 7k). KU, ISU and even KSU are becoming outliers where large numbers of people, especially students, show up. When you watch games on TV, there are lots of empty seats in most arenas around the country.
one of the key dissension points i recall from the days of building/funding Bramlage was 'would we have enough seats' to host an NCAA tournament round. think we built with 500 seats short.

but that was a long long time ago and a guy's memory does get fuzzy.

Hypeman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Hypeman » February 14th, 2019, 7:59 am

Piedmontcat wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 12:50 am
You’ve hit a sore subject with me.

I watched Bradley/Loyala and TT/OSU last night. There was a decent but not stellar crowd at Bradely, but OSU ‘might’ have had 1500 people. I actually had the impression ESPN was pumping in fake crowd noise over the TV. Actually, it believe the Big 12 has the worst fan attendance nationwide.

We had a long discussion about this on the football board since there is a well publicized crisis in attendance everywhere and in every sport. That is coinciding with an arms race in building. More buillding with less people going in the buildings seems to defy logic. Perhaps there is a panic to get cheap debt before it dries up? I don’t know.

KSU attendance seems good to me, relatively speaking. Plus it’s the only show in town. That said, we get a full house for 1 game a year, otherwise I’m guessing it’s half full for good games, 1/3 full for crappy ones. It’s been that way for at least 10 years and getting worse (I bet this season is an uptick considering it is a record year on the court). Same goes for football.

UT’s crowd the other night wasn’t bad, but Austin, TX has just a few other things going on nightly so they probably never sell out, even with celebrities and stuff.

One thing to note is that stated attendance usually isn’t turn-style count and there is usually about a 30% difference. Stated attendance usually includes season ticket holders that don’t show, tickets given away to the other team but returned, and more.

My concern is that lower actual attendance will trickle into lower ticket sales. Frankly, it is my last year of season tickets. I can get at least half the tickets I want from other people for free or buy them last minute for a fraction of the price. I don’t think I’m much different than most people. I’m going to save a few thousand bucks and be happy about it. I threw away the football season ticket order form last night.

One last thing. Many colleges, like KSU, have priced out the average person and families. Basketball not nearly as bad as football. Perhaps the prices will drop and actual attendance will rise when season ticket holders like me start bailing.

ToledoCat#2
Has liked: 0
Been liked: 64 times

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 14th, 2019, 9:11 am

I've said for years that outlandish coaching salaries and fancy facilities and deeper TV coverage would lead to ticket prices that are too high for the average Joe and his family. I think that is playing out before our eyes.

I love KSU's new facilities and I'm proud of them, but attending most sporting events is beyond what I choose to spend. Travel expenses and tix prices combine to price me out.
These users liked ToledoCat#2 for the post:
Hypeman (February 14th, 2019, 9:35 am)

xtrawildcat
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 66 times

Post by xtrawildcat » February 14th, 2019, 9:21 am

I have attended every home game for 18 years. Attendance this year has been good. Couple of early non con games were decent. Couple of non con games while students were gone were half full or more with lots of the student section being filled by those with kids who take that opportunity to take their kids to a game or two. Seems like their was one game with a pretty minimum crowd.
Attendance at the couple of conference games while students were gone was pretty good. Over 2/3 full best I remember. Games with students back have been good except for the season ticket holders who do not make it to games for a varitey of reasons and it is too much effort to find sombody to use the ticket when you live out of town. However, next 4 conference games will most likely be sell outs with lots of atmosphere. I am getting texts from friends who are working to get to some of those games and have not gone to a game in years. That will help grow some more passionate basketball fans than we have had in the past.

KSU is fine as long as we have a winning program to support. However, it is different than Ahearn days where the only way you saw a lot of the games was to go. Season ticket holders who live an hour or more out of town will not spend the effort to drive to a game that has little importance when they can watch it on TV . Other schools, (ie OU and OSU) except KU and ISU have real attendance problems in basketball. KSU s in pretty good shape.
These users liked xtrawildcat for the post:
tmcats (February 14th, 2019, 10:18 am)

Hypeman
Has liked: 23 times
Been liked: 33 times

Post by Hypeman » February 14th, 2019, 9:33 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
February 14th, 2019, 9:11 am
I've said for years that outlandish coaching salaries and fancy facilities and deeper TV coverage would lead to ticket prices that are too high for the average Joe and his family. I think that is playing out before our eyes.

I love KSU's new facilities and I'm proud of them, but attending most sporting events is beyond what I choose to spend. Travel expenses and tix prices combine to price me out.
Precisely! Yet there are people promoting more, more, more. More building, more money to coaches. It’s lunacy. “4 car garage and still buildin on ...”. College athletic programs are the modern day Nob Hill.

hilltopwildcat
Has liked: 244 times
Been liked: 82 times

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 14th, 2019, 9:34 am

Sports, selling their soul to the devil (TV), is probably at or approaching a crossroads. The market looks to me to be over-saturated and frankly a lot of people are just casual sports fans anymore. I remember well the days of trying to follow a KSU basketball game, straining to hear the play by by on WIBW 580 from 120 miles away.
These users liked hilltopwildcat for the post:
Hypeman (February 14th, 2019, 9:37 am)

powercat5000
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 27 times

Post by powercat5000 » February 14th, 2019, 10:12 am

You would think that with attendance dropping at sporting events that the obvious reaction would be to lower ticket prices- with hdtv and cheap food at home, why would the average person want to go spend half a paycheck going to sporting events? And with the millions that colleges are making off of tv they could afford to drop prices, but they won’t.

tmcats
Has liked: 340 times
Been liked: 200 times

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 14th, 2019, 10:27 am

hard to argue the general tenor of this thread. i moved my mbb season ticket from the thousands to the hundreds seat. but i'm not giving it up as i did wbb. football ticket renewal is here on the desk and will be renewed.

basketball attendance hasn't been much better than in prior years to my eye. but it's certainly not been awful like ou. yet, even the ku game was not a sell out this year. that's troubling.

still, weather has been bad for many of the games. and a full house requires fans from kc, wichita, and like distances. not happening when it's nasty outdoors due to quality televisions in everyone's mancave these days.

like others here, in my view salaries and staffing are out of control. i don't begrudge ck for his but going from $300k to $2 million doesn't happen anywhere else. bill gets $3 million to hang it up. yikes.
"There ain't anybody stoppin' our ass!" CK