College Admissions Scandal

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Zoltar

Re: College Admissions Scandal

Post by Zoltar » March 13th, 2019, 4:07 am

The funny part of this story for me is that a cox does not row. Mostly just need to be light. If they got preferential treatment for that this is really strange. I suspect the author was not completely familiar with rowing at a minimum. It really makes me shake my head that these parents thought this was okay or that they could get away with this.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/colle ... index.html

This says Texas got caught up in this as well. I was surprised with over 40K undergrads it could be hard to get in there but it says you need a 3.68 to get in. Maybe grade inflation is the next thing to look at. Top 25% of class is a marker as well.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/opinions ... index.html

Texas tennis coach arrested as part of this:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/20 ... 145854002/
Win the dang day!

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 13th, 2019, 7:05 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 12:14 am
Hypeman wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 11:06 pm
However, is this worse than Pocahontas claiming to be Native American to get an Ivy League job?
Pocahontas WAS Native American but never had an Ivy League job because there was no Ivy League back in the early 1600's when she was associated with the colonial settlement at Jamestown, Virginia.
Yes, you are right, she IS Native American, 1/1024th.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 13th, 2019, 7:19 am

Doesn’t the KSU rowing team have like 300 kids on it as a way to scam title IX? Everyone is scamming everyone. I guess that is culture today.

When I lived in southern Cal we called UCLA the “Univeristy of California for Lesser Academics” and USC the “University for Spoiled Children”. It looks like that is still true at USC anyway.
Last edited by Hypeman on March 13th, 2019, 8:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 13th, 2019, 7:41 am

Zoltar wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 4:07 am
The funny part of this story for me is that a cox does not row. Mostly just need to be light. If they got preferential treatment for that this is really strange. I suspect the author was not completely familiar with rowing at a minimum. It really makes me shake my head that these parents thought this was okay or that they could get away with this.

This says Texas got caught up in this as well. I was surprised with over 40K undergrads it could be hard to get in there but it says you need a 3.68 to get in. Maybe grade inflation is the next thing to look at. Top 25% of class is a marker as well.

I agree! :agree: Grade inflation is huge (everywhere) and university administrators promote it because graduate rate is almost 20% of the US News rankings. We had this discussion on the football board. KSU has turned into a diploma mill in order to get students and also to get these rates up. Nobody fails. The University gets the most bang for the buck in the US news rankings by passing everyone.

Incoming ACT is almost 8% of the ranking. Hence getting higher ACT kids is a quest. At KSU, nearly all the scholarship money goes to rich kids based on ACT. The problem is these are rich kids who take the test many times under the guidance of a ‘tutor’. Kids don’t have to report all their tries on the ACT either. In the old days only your 1st try counted. That leveled the field for rich and poor kids. Poor kids had a better chance for scholarship money. Now they get none.

KSU just announced their new approach to admissions, recruitment, and scholarships and it is “all in” for rich kids, and recruiting Texas and KC suburbs. Sounds like the administrators want to be KU? No wonder western Kansas and small town Kansas kids are saying no to enrolling at KSU. I’m not “all in” for that.

I thought this was a land grant school with a mission of educating the masses in the state?

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 13th, 2019, 9:30 am

wazucat wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 5:52 pm
tmcats wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 4:54 pm

both are private with tuition approaches $50,000/year.
so what's your point, if a school charges an exorbitant tuition then by definition it is prestigious ?? There are plenty of schools out there that have tuition that take one's breath away but don't pass the prestige giggle test IMO. To my way of thinking there are only a handful of prestigious schools , the Ivy's and maybe a dozen others, your universe of prestige may and apparently does extend to a larger sample.

here's my point(s):

Wake Forest University is a private institution that was founded in 1834. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 5,102, its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 340 acres. Wake Forest University's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 27. Its tuition and fees are $53,322 (2018-19). USNews :roll:

Boston College is a private institution that was founded in 1863. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 9,358, its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 338 acres. Boston College's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 38. Its tuition and fees are $55,464 (2018-19). USNews :popcorn:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 13th, 2019, 9:37 am

pulitzerdave wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 12:14 am
Hypeman wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 11:06 pm
However, is this worse than Pocahontas claiming to be Native American to get an Ivy League job?
Pocahontas WAS Native American but never had an Ivy League job because there was no Ivy League back in the early 1600's when she was associated with the colonial settlement at Jamestown, Virginia.
:rofl: :rofl:

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 13th, 2019, 9:40 am

tmcats wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:30 am
wazucat wrote:
March 12th, 2019, 5:52 pm

so what's your point, if a school charges an exorbitant tuition then by definition it is prestigious ?? There are plenty of schools out there that have tuition that take one's breath away but don't pass the prestige giggle test IMO. To my way of thinking there are only a handful of prestigious schools , the Ivy's and maybe a dozen others, your universe of prestige may and apparently does extend to a larger sample.

here's my point(s):

Wake Forest University is a private institution that was founded in 1834. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 5,102, its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 340 acres. Wake Forest University's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 27. Its tuition and fees are $53,322 (2018-19). USNews :roll:

Boston College is a private institution that was founded in 1863. It has a total undergraduate enrollment of 9,358, its setting is suburban, and the campus size is 338 acres. Boston College's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Universities, 38. Its tuition and fees are $55,464 (2018-19). USNews :popcorn:
Price the schools in the Heart of America, Benedictine, Wm Jewell, Baker, etc.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 13th, 2019, 9:41 am

Hypeman wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 7:41 am
Zoltar wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 4:07 am

I agree! :agree: Grade inflation is huge (everywhere) and university administrators promote it because graduate rate is almost 20% of the US News rankings. We had this discussion on the football board. KSU has turned into a diploma mill in order to get students and also to get these rates up. Nobody fails. The University gets the most bang for the buck in the US news rankings by passing everyone.

Incoming ACT is almost 8% of the ranking. Hence getting higher ACT kids is a quest. At KSU, nearly all the scholarship money goes to rich kids based on ACT. The problem is these are rich kids who take the test many times under the guidance of a ‘tutor’. Kids don’t have to report all their tries on the ACT either. In the old days only your 1st try counted. That leveled the field for rich and poor kids. Poor kids had a better chance for scholarship money. Now they get none.

KSU just announced their new approach to admissions, recruitment, and scholarships and it is “all in” for rich kids, and recruiting Texas and KC suburbs. Sounds like the administrators want to be KU? No wonder western Kansas and small town Kansas kids are saying no to enrolling at KSU. I’m not “all in” for that.

I thought this was a land grant school with a mission of educating the masses in the state?
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 13th, 2019, 9:43 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:40 am
tmcats wrote:
March 13th, 2019, 9:30 am

here's my point(s):

Price the schools in the Heart of America, Benedictine, Wm Jewell, Baker, etc.
those schools may charge a lot but their academics are not top 50 like bc and wake. that's why parents work to get their kids a slot in those two universities, sometimes nefariously, i guess.

William Jewell College's ranking in the 2019 edition of Best Colleges is National Liberal Arts Colleges, 155. Its tuition and fees are $34,400 (2018-19). USNews
Why is there something rather than nothing?

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » March 13th, 2019, 10:24 am

I personally think it's hilarious at the schools that label themselves "elite" when they really mean "snobbish". They have earned and deserve the negative national publicity from the recruiting scandal.

All the Ivy League schools, Stanford, ND, Texass, Duke, etc. fit into this category. I maintain that much of the country's current social and economic problems lie with decades-old "liberal leadership" by the Ivy League and elitist schools.