Dean Wade hurt?

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: Dean Wade hurt?

Post by learnin » March 11th, 2019, 1:45 am

Here's where the problem with bias comes into play. I harp on it because I think it makes a difference. The Big XII tournament is going to make a difference for a program like Kansas State. Duke didn't win their conference. They are, currently, without Zion. And I believe another important player went down with a knee injury. They could, conceivably, bow out in the second round of their conference tournament. Yet, the committee will look at Duke differently than they will Kansas State. They will take their name, and injuries, into consideration. Duke will get a #1 or # 2 seed in spite of not winning their conference or conference tournament.

If Kansas State sits a couple of players and loses in the first round (TCU or Oklahoma State could, conceivably, beat K-State without Dean and or Kamau), the committee may very well give K-State a 5 seed if not 6. There's a good bet the committee will not afford K-State with the same amount of leeway as Duke when it comes to injuries. It could very well hurt our seed.

As I said earlier last week. The conference championship means more to me so, if Weber chooses to sit Dean and Kamau, and Kansas State ends up with a five seed, I'm not going to lose any sleep. I would love to see these guys get to the elite 8 game, again, and play for a final four bid. I'm just saying, for me, this season has already been a great success.

I, also, know the negativity will raise its ugly head again if the Cats do not get, at least, to the Sweet 16.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 11th, 2019, 3:12 am

Really very little difference between a 4 and a 5 but maybe location and travel. Falling to a 6 could bring in a tougher game more quickly. Making it form 16 to the second week and then 8 to 4 requires lots of skill and a break or 2. With Wade we have the skill we just need the games to line up so we can win long enough to get Wade healthy. It will take him to beat a top 4 seed.

Baylor/ ISU will be very tough without Wade but we can win. We should beat TCU/OSU either way. Need Darria back or Wade, if not both, to have a run at Tech/KU. Anything can happen, but we need Wade after first two this week and most likely for the weekend game the following week. I just don't think we have the horses to stay at that level without him against a top 4 national seed in either tourney.

While I agree that there is bias in the way announcer relate to the Cats at this point they rely on the NET for seeds. Frankly, we lost at least 2 games where it appeared we phoned it in to teams that are not tier 1 teams. We dealt ourselves this hand and it is ours to play moving forward.

The teams with the top seeds only lost to other top teams. We are where we are because that is where we belong this year with the results we have produced. It is now that time of year where you have to show up and win every game. We will get everyone's best shot now. This is another thing that comes with being Big 12 Champs.
Win the dang day!

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » March 11th, 2019, 8:01 am

nm
Last edited by wild@nite on March 11th, 2019, 8:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » March 11th, 2019, 8:24 am

I wouldn't expect Dean to play 35 minutes in our first or hopefully second game. It would be nice for Barry to break back out and the others to step up notably Trice. I think if we make Saturday, it's game on.

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » March 11th, 2019, 9:17 am

The Elites are media darlings, so yes they get special consideration to make sure the big names are in the NCAA tourney as long as possible. The truth is that college basketball is a media-driven entertainment industry. The media is where all the big money comes from, so you have to take the bad with the good.

As far as seeding, my personal take is the luck of the draw is much more important than whether you are a 4, 5, or 6 seed. The 4 and 5 seeds are almost identical since you get a (theoretically) weaker opponent in the first game, a team very similar to you in the second game, and a one-seed (in theory) in the third game.

To me a 6-seed can actually be a sweet spot draw. You still get a team you should beat in the first game. In the second you get a three-seed -- which is a really good team, but I would not mind seeing KSU paired against a team like Wisky in that round. The second game is tougher than a 4/5, but in the third round you should meet a two-seed instead of a one-seed, so your chances of an Elite Eight are actually better (in theory). Any of the 4, 5, 6 slots could work for KSU, depending on the luck of the draw as far as who the actual opponent is.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » March 11th, 2019, 10:18 am

I just hope he hasn't played his last game for us.

ksustars754
Has thanked: 0

Post by ksustars754 » March 11th, 2019, 10:54 am

bigpurpleman wrote:
March 11th, 2019, 10:18 am
I just hope he hasn't played his last game for us.
I’d be very sad and frustrated. And actually pissed off too but I’ll save those emotions until we know more. Puffs absence from this thread and rumors spreading around elsewhere are not good signs though.

Puffdad

Post by Puffdad » March 11th, 2019, 11:33 am

Sorry but don’t know much. Nobody knows if he’s going to play or not. Day to day on how it feels. Things are pretty hush hush though. Which probably isn’t good. But I don’t think he’s done.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » March 11th, 2019, 11:51 am

I just don't see playing Dean at all in this meaningless tournament. Folks, these will be three games back to back to back. Weigh that against playing twice a week (NCAA Tournament) like we normally do.

OK, so we play Dean and he gets progressively worse, and by game 3 (if we get there) he's either far less effective, or so sore that he can't play in the championship game. What have we really accomplished? Nothing! We are not likely to win the championship game without a healthy Dean Wade, and even if we do, have we improved our seed? Maybe one spot. So what!

If we lose in the first round of the Big 12 Tournament, that could be a blessing in disguise. I don't like losing any game, but Wade, Stokes and possibly Diarra (if he plays some in game one) get 10-11 days to figure out the amount of rest/practice necessary to get ready for a tournament that is much more important than this cash cow, Big 12 conference canard. Besides, I don't see us dropping two seeds because he lose one game. That seems a little absurd, given what we've just accomplished.

I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE BIG 12 TOURNAMENT, and neither should any of us. It's just too big of a gamble for what little return we would get from it.

I'm putting my eggs in the much bigger NCAA basket, where they belong.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 11th, 2019, 12:08 pm

looks like baylor's mason may be out for the b12 tourney as well. same issue as kam, toe.
Why is there something rather than nothing?