wefald proposes b12/p12 alliance ...

The defending Big XII Champions
ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: wefald proposes b12/p12 alliance ...

Post by ToledoCat#2 » March 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm

I have nothing against ethanol. In fact, I always choose the ethanol blend for my vehicles. That said, ethanol should have to stand on its own two feet as a mature industry now.

So few people really understand how the U.S. economy really works that I've found it pointless as a discussion topic.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 6th, 2019, 12:59 pm

One from the oil patch and one pro-ethanol? Gentleman, “Let’s Get It On!”

Actually, you two should quit now while you are ahead. I’m no expert on ag econ or the oil industry, but I suspect they both have some explaining to do.

Let’s return to speculating if KSU will get shut out of the new SEC, PAC and B1G alliance. Something else we know nothing about but are all on the same side.

kswildcat

Post by kswildcat » March 6th, 2019, 2:45 pm

Agreed! We bleed purple and that is what brings us here. I, like many, worry about the future if those big 3 rule the college football world. It will be tough for KSU if that becomes the new world. We play good enough football to belong but I'm afraid that our university is seen as not measuring up. We know differently but to the powers that be, perception is reality.

kstueve

Post by kstueve » March 6th, 2019, 6:39 pm

where are you getting your data, google tells me that for the 2017-2018 academic year student enrollment was 22,795. I can find no later data

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 6th, 2019, 6:48 pm

Truth, I am not sure they are looking for the truth. Honestly only looking for full time undergraduate equivalency at the Manhattan campus. I don't have that, but this is what the dumpster fire folks are trying to get at.
Win the dang day!

kstueve

Post by kstueve » March 6th, 2019, 7:43 pm

because part time students, distance learning students, and grad students don't pay the bills? (truth in advertising KSU paid me to get my MS in Computer Science)

Opensource

Post by Opensource » March 6th, 2019, 8:02 pm

Higher education is a complex business that I know something about. My observation there are several free market conservatives on the board that just don't understand the economics of it. They think it is a simple government delivered services that has waist. They don't really get that the major research universities in other states are large economic drivers. Tied to this is K-State status in the Big 12. If you don't play this game, then the number of big time alumni are lower, number of businesses in town are lower, attendance is lower (especially lux boxes). K-State is being driven to a smaller conference due to population loss (sure), but more importantly due to a lack of vision out of administration and the last governor's office. May be we should be calling for a new President like we were calling for a new football coach.

Opensource

Post by Opensource » March 6th, 2019, 8:03 pm

kstueve wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 7:43 pm
because part time students, distance learning students, and grad students don't pay the bills? (truth in advertising KSU paid me to get my MS in Computer Science)
Well, they do. Grad students are underpaid employees to teach poor quality courses to the masses. You think your getting. good deal. Yes, you get free tuition and a small stipend. But, a real instructor would cost more,.

Opensource

Post by Opensource » March 6th, 2019, 8:11 pm

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 12:58 pm
I have nothing against ethanol. In fact, I always choose the ethanol blend for my vehicles. That said, ethanol should have to stand on its own two feet as a mature industry now.

So few people really understand how the U.S. economy really works that I've found it pointless as a discussion topic.
So, you think oil stands on its own? If we pull all U.S. interests out of the oil rich areas, what would be our cost savings. No Iraq war, etc. Not to mention the direct oil energy breaks. Lots of local economic solutions become more viable.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » March 6th, 2019, 9:17 pm

kstueve wrote:
March 6th, 2019, 6:39 pm
where are you getting your data, google tells me that for the 2017-2018 academic year student enrollment was 22,795. I can find no later data
I get my data 2nd hand from the source, the provost office. I believe you can find it on the KSU website too. You may be looking at total undergrad enrollment along with 3500 grad students and that may be anyone who took a class. FTE is converting all enrollment into full time equivalent. Undergrad was about 16k in the Fall and it usually drops about 5% in the spring since some kids drop out. I will see if I can find a link to the data and post it.

Let me add this too. There was a discussion about getting out of state kids. That enrollment has actually gone up. Now whether or not up enough to make up for the huge amount of money spent on recruiting them I don’t know. I do know Kansas kids are not choosing KSU. That number is going down. That is the one that bothers me. We are spending bookoo bucks to get some out of state kids, but not getting our own.