no spring game ...

The defending Big XII Champions
Fullypersuaded

Re: no spring game ...

Post by Fullypersuaded » March 5th, 2019, 3:38 am

A Spring game is the tradition of many programs. It's not something Snyder created.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » March 5th, 2019, 12:39 pm

Fullypersuaded wrote:
March 5th, 2019, 3:38 am
A Spring game is the tradition of many programs. It's not something Snyder created.
it's also not something that all programs do. i always enjoyed going out there and seeing the youngsters compete. but man, it was a boring show after the initial burst of excitement. overall on my list of priorities, it's about as important as lunch.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » March 5th, 2019, 2:17 pm

The Spring Game was boring overall, but it was fun to see what the younger players were capable of. Sometimes it was frightening to see what they weren't capable of.

I hope they tie it in with a Baseball game or something and make a weekend event out of it.
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Rusty7777

Post by Rusty7777 » March 6th, 2019, 2:57 pm

I don't like the idea of eliminating it. Makes me wonder why – is there something wrong with the roster? KU didn't have a game last spring, and they were reviled for it. Gave the appearance of weakness. If I were Kleiman, I would've waited a year or two before doing something like this. The spring game isn't necessarily a big deal in substance, but it looks bad not to have it, and it erodes, a bit, my confidence in the new regime.
Last edited by Rusty7777 on March 6th, 2019, 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wildcat97
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by Wildcat97 » March 6th, 2019, 3:23 pm

I am sure there will be a scrimmage. Spring game sucks. Risk of injury and always base defense along with base formations offensively.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » March 6th, 2019, 6:20 pm

There appears to be a risk of injury calling shotgun for the ride home from Bramledge. I don't think we need to worry about everything.
Win the dang day!

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » March 6th, 2019, 7:37 pm

new coach. new way. give it time, give it patience.

wait until there's something concrete to comment on?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

wazucat

Post by wazucat » March 7th, 2019, 12:18 pm

There have been many players who worked hard for years in our program, they never saw the field in real games but were on the field and played in the Spring game. Coach Snyder called the spring games about as exciting as "watching paint dry" but I suspect he would agree that some of those not very talented but hard working scrubs might consider it to have been the highlight of their time on the team.

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » March 7th, 2019, 1:22 pm

Not sure why people are questioning the new format when we don't even know what it will consist of?? Coach K is going to have the mike, so he will probably be going from position group to position group talking about the players, etc. Also, there will be a scrimmage. I'm sure some of those players who loved the spring game will enjoy this as well, if not better, than a normal spring game. But again, can we not just wait and see how it goes before we start questioning the coach??

I know from twitter that Lance Robinson is pretty excited about the format. I also know that Barnes said at the combine the other day that the players love the new staff.

It just amazes me that people question something like what format is used for the last of the 15 spring practices? If a coach loses games, fans are the first to cry, "he's making millions, he should be winning," yet we don't use that same thinking and say, "the guy is making millions, so he gets to set things up." Just calm down and enjoy getting out and getting a chance to see the team in a variety of scenarios.

farrout10

Post by farrout10 » March 7th, 2019, 1:25 pm

Well stated!