I just gotta say....

The defending Big XII Champions
RichardZ

Pick 'Em

I just gotta say....

Post by RichardZ » February 21st, 2019, 10:20 pm

....It has been a few days now and I am still chagrined thinking of the giant missed opportunity by the KSU head football coach and athletic director.

For a week of so we were getting emails and F.B. posts that a whirlwind four stop tour would take place. One of those stops being Dallas. On a Tuesday night. The DFW area has the second highest population of grads in the country.

About, and I am guessing here, 150--200 people showed up. Our group arrived early around 4:00pm The place was packed. Standing room only.

Almost three hours later people are leaving. No attempt was made to address the crowd by either the coach or the athletic director or anyone else for that matter. Rumor had it that there was no sound system to make a speech or that it was broken. I don't know.

There were no introductions. No one got up on a table to quiet the crowd so the twosome could at least thank those in attendance. Nothing.

It would be interesting to hear from those who attended a meeting that was not held in Dallas.

On the positive side we met some great Cat fans!
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

PurpleCatbacker

Post by PurpleCatbacker » February 21st, 2019, 11:01 pm

Ah, memories. I remember driving from Ft. Worth to Dallas for a meeting - way back when Vince Gibson was hired. We had a fun time - - and then he said, "We Gonna Win"... or something like that. We drove home with smiles - thinking about old high school and college English teachers. Then, we went back to KSAC (I think) - name changed in there somewhere and we had some fun football games to watch a little while.
Ah, memories. Thanks. Sorry it didn't turn out like it should have -for you the other night or for Vince. Amazing what planning will do. But, if you're looking in the rear view mirror you won't see where you're going. LOL I'll be glad when the snow is gone here - and more is on the way. EMAW

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » February 21st, 2019, 11:16 pm

Yeah, funny how it works out.

We also went to the Prince Tour of Dallas. He gave a rousing, energetic speech. He brought along all the assistant coaches who mingled with the crowd. It was held in a hotel and we had a private room and a huge turnout.

My exact words made to a buddy as we were walking out of the venue..."If he can recruit and coach like he talks we got a winner."

Uh, nope.
"At the core of Liberalism is the spoiled child... miserable, as all spoiled children are. Unsatisfied, demanding, ill-disciplined despotic and useless. Liberalism is a philosophy of sniveling brats"...P. J. O'Rourke

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 21st, 2019, 11:30 pm

Sure looked liked the Wichita one was energetic from an email I got from the Athletic Dept.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » February 21st, 2019, 11:32 pm

Did either one of them address the crowd?

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 21st, 2019, 11:38 pm

Wildcat7073

Post by Wildcat7073 » February 22nd, 2019, 11:52 am

KSAC became KSU (AAS) in 1959. Vince Gibsone came to K-State in 1967.

RichardZ

Pick 'Em

Post by RichardZ » February 22nd, 2019, 11:56 am

Good to know and see. Thanks!

Glad he was mic'd up in other visits.

PurpleCatbacker

Post by PurpleCatbacker » February 22nd, 2019, 7:55 pm

"KSAC became KSU (AAS) in 1959. Vince Gibson came to K-State in 1967." That sounds about right. LOL
Thanks. KSU had hired a new Marching Band director when we got back in 1967, a man from Ft. Worth. Those were fun times. Young son and I would watch band practice on the ground where the new Business College building is now. In fact, it's difficult to drive around campus and find where things once were. It's ok, though. Like the t-shirt says, "I remember when Moro was a two way street". EMAW

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 23rd, 2019, 10:17 am

I played flag football in the mud with a bunch of sorority gals right where the new College of Biz building stands. Those were the good ol' Days.