snyder museum ...

The defending Big XII Champions
Cooter
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: snyder museum ...

Post by Cooter » February 17th, 2019, 9:08 pm

I’m for a Kstate sports hall of fame building, but a Snyder specific museum, uh no thanks.

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » February 18th, 2019, 10:28 am

If there was a museum, it should be for KSU athletics, not just Snyder. Realistically, how much more Snyder does the city/county really need? Over the years, he'll grow more into a memory and I just don't see a museum dedicated to him, being a big"stand-alone" attraction.

I agree as well that taxes are out of control in Manhattan. If we want to truly help out the residents, the city needs to find a way to lower it and make it in line with other comparable Kansas cities.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 18th, 2019, 2:33 pm

here's an email i just sent to the mhk city commission. you can easily express your views, one way or the other, to the decision makers by contacting them here: City_Commission@ci.manhattan.ks.us

As someone who strongly supports this STAR bonds initiative and overall corridor project, I want you to know that there's little support here and in the community for the Bill Snyder Museum.

I'm a KSU fanatic and follow sports closely. Most fans I know believe this is overkill. Building another museum, as we did with the FHDC, without broad community support is unwise.

Again, I believe this could be made better by broadening the museum's scope from just coach Snyder to a State of Kansas coaches Hall of Fame or even a K-State coaches hall to include figures like Tex Winter and Jack Hartman.

I find it hard to believe that university and other community leaders are driving the city down this single figure path, with trust that some of you will have the courage to object.
Last edited by tmcats on February 18th, 2019, 2:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Opensource

Post by Opensource » February 18th, 2019, 2:37 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 17th, 2019, 1:56 pm
I’m not sure the property taxes are a result of liberals or conservatives

as someone very familiar with the process, i'm sure.
"He who did not cause increased taxes for Manhattan, cast the first stone."

As tmcats knows, Brownback defunding of all government passed on the cost of necessary services to local government. That includes decreased revenue locally due to the primary employer of Manhattan is K-State. There has been a lack of increased revenue because salaries and employee numbers, as well as student numbers, have suffered. I could go on. But, blaming the liberals for Kansas problems and any town in Kansas under Brownback Is just pure conservatives as irrational belief.

Opensource

Post by Opensource » February 18th, 2019, 2:42 pm

No one will care about Snyder if the new coaches for K-State win. It won't be that surprising if K-State does better than the Snyder 2.0 years. And, perhaps Snyder 1.0. His impact will be lost in time like most are in history. So, a museum focused on him isn't really a sustainable attraction. It is a bit like naming things after Welfald, who was a marginal at best President who did good things at K-State because the bar was set so low.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 18th, 2019, 2:47 pm

again, i encourage you to drop a note to the city commission. they really do listen.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 18th, 2019, 2:57 pm

I think an on-line museum is good enough for me. However, I would not be opposed to a K-State Athletics museum and feel Bill Snyder should have the biggest room in it. Tex Winter, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Jack Hartman, and Vince Gibson are also deserving of their own rooms. It could be fun, and expensive. I suggest donated funds and a donor room.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 18th, 2019, 2:58 pm

the museum could have interactive components that make it more interesting particularly if directed at youngsters.

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 18th, 2019, 3:07 pm

Videos of great moments, theaters with stories of different eras, rooms for K-Staters in the pros, All Americans, academic All Americans, voices of the Wildcats etc. Charge $10.00 a head admittance. Under 12 free with accompanying adult.

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 18th, 2019, 3:09 pm

katlander wrote:
February 18th, 2019, 2:57 pm
I think an on-line museum is good enough for me. However, I would not be opposed to a K-State Athletics museum and feel Bill Snyder should have the biggest room in it. Tex Winter, Cotton Fitzsimmons, Jack Hartman, and Vince Gibson are also deserving of their own rooms. It could be fun, and expensive. I suggest donated funds and a donor room.
I’ve seen these sorts of museums/memory lanes incorporated into the entry ways of many college and pro football stadiums and basketball arenas. Not that KSU has to do what everyone else does, but there is probably some logic to putting this stuff in the sports venue where sports fans will be. It enhances the game day experience. Arrowhead has something like that too.

People that come to town to tailgate and attend the game probably aren’t going to hoof it over to the new museum, but they will probably walk though, maybe even shell out a few bucks once, if it is at the stadium.