Winning Ugly

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Highway26north

Winning Ugly

Post by Highway26north » February 13th, 2019, 2:27 pm

Don't mean to go totally off-topic here, but I'm snowed in and Saturday seems like a long way away. So here goes.

Learnin' and I had a little back and forth in the wee hours about the phrase Winning Ugly, which I view as highest praise a team can receive. And the phrase in my mind will ever be linked with Kansas.

In 1977 Bill Veeck owned the White Sox. A truly wonderful man, breaker of the color barrier in the AL, etc. However, as always, he was trying to run the Sox on a shoestring because, as always, he had no money. But he traded for some good hitters over the winter,

The Royals of George Brett and Hal McRae were easily the class of the division. Sox got off to a fast start, fueled by lots of home runs from guys like Oscar Gamble, Jim Spencer and Eric Soderholm. The hall-of-fame organist at Comiskey Park, Nancy Faust, started playing the refrain from "Na na na na, na na na, kiss him goodbye" at every home run as the guy circled the bases, and at the final out of a Sox win.

Well this was viewed, probably correctly, as completely bush league by some of the lords of baseball, including I'm sad to report your Kansas City Royals. It culminated in a series in Chicago in early July when McRae and others popped off about how bush league all the singing and especially the pop-out-of-the-dugout curtain calls were. I think there were 3 or 4 fights in that series and lots of finger-pointing and yelling back and forth between the dugouts. Nonetheless, Sox took 3 out of 4. Euphoria! It was about this time that the phrase winning ugly was coined to describe the Sox. They were fat and slow, but they were strong and vigilant. Like na na na na, it stuck. As happens in the hidebound traditions of the great game, baseball on the south side still treasures and honors the trait of winning ugly, and breaks into a chorus of na na na na even when the Sox are 30 games below .500 but finish off a victory over the Miami Marlins or whoever they can manage to beat. (NOTE: better days lie ahead).

Alas it was the high water mark of that '77 team and the last hurrah for Mr. Veeck. The Royals went about 27 for August and left the Sox and everybody else in their wake. I hold no grudges and was thrilled when KC won it all a couple years ago

But one should never never view "winning ugly" as anything but the highest praise. The Yankees don't win ugly. Kansas does not win ugly. Duke does not win ugly. MAYBE the Zags win ugly. Purdue wins ugly. And yes, K-State wins ugly. Embrace it! Maybe the pep band can work on "Kiss Him Goodbye" for incorporation into their repertoire? Imagine 14,000 K-Staters standing at the end of the Kansas game and singing at the top of their voices "na na na na, na na na na, hey hey, GOOD BYE."

Kralicek

Post by Kralicek » February 13th, 2019, 2:46 pm

Nice, a win is a win is a win!

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » February 13th, 2019, 2:49 pm

I'm sure the students could incorporate F KU in there.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » February 13th, 2019, 4:07 pm

Anytime I win it is winning ugly. Why are you prejudice against the less than handsome? We have feelings too.
Win the dang day!

Number8son
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Pick 'Em

Post by Number8son » February 13th, 2019, 7:54 pm

I have been ugly all my life, too, so I am very hurt by this thread. ;)

For me, the 'Cats are winning beautifully. One game at a time.

KSUbetcha

Post by KSUbetcha » February 13th, 2019, 8:19 pm

Just win baby!!! Any way you can: big, ugly, last minute or however. Just WIN... Go Cats!

8-)

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » February 13th, 2019, 8:28 pm

please folks, please.

aesthetically challenged
cosmetically different
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » February 13th, 2019, 10:44 pm

KSUbetcha wrote:
February 13th, 2019, 8:19 pm
Just win baby!!! Any way you can: big, ugly, last minute or however. Just WIN... Go Cats!

8-)
Chuckie? Is that you?

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » February 14th, 2019, 4:12 am

and why is there no politically correct term for someone who is politically correct?
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » February 14th, 2019, 9:14 am

I'd suggest "Anal Invert."