Ask Fran

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
Highway26north

Re: Ask Fran

Post by Highway26north » February 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm

On a slightly different topic which guy was it on the crew the other night who 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason blurted out "DeSousa ridiculous suspension?" Didn't seem to want to discuss it, just blurt it right in the middle of game action. And I don't recall any of his colleagues responding. I'd like to know just so I know who to hate on; don't want to get the wrong guy.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 9th, 2019, 5:10 pm

purogato wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 3:36 pm
Well I care, Learnin', because I have a burning hatred of KU, so I'll comment.

I can't believe how Fran has become the second voice of the Jayhawks. Seems like he announces every game they do. Some variety by ESPN might help the perception. But that said, Fran comes across as their...well, you know what I want to say.

Today, for instance, he was slobbering all over Dedric Lawson (who is awesome, I'll admit). He said that the league player of the year would probably be decided by who wins the league. So he lists Lawson, Shayock and Mason as the three candidates. Now I understand their scoring averages are little behind those three, but he made no mention of KSU leading the league, so of course didn't mention Dean or Barry.

It does seem like he tries really hard to avoid talking about KSU these days.
You're very perceptive. Fran is trying to rebuild the KU bridge and he's burned the K-State bridge. Just like not mentioning K-State as a possibility to win the conference. As they say, that's first degree avoidance.

learnin

Post by learnin » February 9th, 2019, 5:11 pm

KsJoey wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Beat Baylor today, take a 2 game lead in the conference and everybody will be talking about KSU regardless if they want to or not.
Don't count on it.

Zoltar

Post by Zoltar » February 9th, 2019, 5:14 pm

I thought the same thing. These were the announcers: with Jon Sciambi (play-by-play), Stan Van Gundy (analyst) and Chauncey Billups (analyst) calling the action.

It was not Billups. Which one of the other two was it? I think Van Gundy but not sure. He just fired it in twice and no one else said a thing. I wanted to post about it but was to busy watching the game.
Win the dang day!

learnin

Post by learnin » February 9th, 2019, 5:14 pm

Highway26north wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm
On a slightly different topic which guy was it on the crew the other night who 2 or 3 times for no apparent reason blurted out "DeSousa ridiculous suspension?" Didn't seem to want to discuss it, just blurt it right in the middle of game action. And I don't recall any of his colleagues responding. I'd like to know just so I know who to hate on; don't want to get the wrong guy.
The crocodile tears over DeSousa speaks loud and clear. Throughout last summer, there were major write ups about the crookedness of the KU program. Now, the NCAA takes a step and all you here is whining about how unjust it is to keep a player out for getting paid.

wild@nite

Pick 'Em

Post by wild@nite » February 9th, 2019, 5:33 pm

Zoltar wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 4:31 pm
wild@nite wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 3:30 pm

Good question. Quit analyzing my poop!!! :rofl:

It appears that 2 is the caring threshold. Sir Isaac Newton no less and now known as Ivory's constant. Try to learn something new every day. This was a learning experience for me.

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/Two_Shits

So at two you start to care. Less than that you don't care according to the graph. So it appears you are starting to care, at least a little, by definition, but this is all news to me today. I am far from giving a F about what Fran says. He is a KU homer.
Thanks for the PM. This is hilarious!!!

KITNooga

Post by KITNooga » February 9th, 2019, 11:07 pm

Highway26north wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 5:06 pm
I only heard it once, but thought it absolutely STUNNINGLY stoopid.

perhaps had he said 'it's so UNFAIR that we don't get to have the best players money can buy on the court to boost OUR ratings and support our RAVINGS for this blue-blood program that is being unfairly and unjustly targeted'.
If you have to be persuaded, reminded, pressured, lied to, incentivized, coerced, bullied, socially shamed, guilt-tripped, threatened, punished and criminalized...you can be absolutely certain that what is being promoted is not in your best interest

IStillLikeHarv

Post by IStillLikeHarv » February 10th, 2019, 9:04 am

learnin wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 5:11 pm
KsJoey wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 3:58 pm
Beat Baylor today, take a 2 game lead in the conference and everybody will be talking about KSU regardless if they want to or not.
Don't count on it.

Yeah, not really. If KSU wants to get some ink, there is a simple way to do that. Lose a game and it will be the lead story (well, KSU will be mentioned in the story about how KU is making their move). Until then, just shut up and play.

:evil:

JackieMoon

Post by JackieMoon » February 10th, 2019, 9:06 am

Zoltar wrote:
February 9th, 2019, 5:14 pm
I thought the same thing. These were the announcers: with Jon Sciambi (play-by-play), Stan Van Gundy (analyst) and Chauncey Billups (analyst) calling the action.

It was not Billups. Which one of the other two was it? I think Van Gundy but not sure. He just fired it in twice and no one else said a thing. I wanted to post about it but was to busy watching the game.
Van Gundy was the guy who said it. Dont worry though he does NBA games. It was a thing escpn was doing. NBA announcers at a college game and college announcers at an NBA games.
E
L
E

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 10th, 2019, 9:24 am

I actually liked the NBA guys. They struck me as WAY less enamored with KU than the college crews we've had calling our games. There were several comments during the game about what each of the players for both teams could do in the NBA, but they didn't belabor the point.

When I heard Van Gundy say that it caught my attention, but nobody followed it up and I thought it illustrated a simple lack of awareness regarding the current culture of NCAA basketball. If you scrub all the names off the jerseys and look at it dispassionately, I'm sure the suspension does seem ridiculous to NBA coaches/players.....they tend to view college basketball as a NBA feeder program first and foremost.