i just smile and shake my head ...

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

Re: i just smile and shake my head ...

Post by learnin » February 8th, 2019, 4:43 pm

We seem to be forgetting something here. Preseason rankings might not mean much. Rankings, one month before selection Sunday, do mean something. No matter how mathematical they get with the selection process, bias always enters into the equation.

We’re playing for a conference championship, yes. We’re also playing for a high seed in the tournament.
That is very important. The way I gotta see it, from bias perspective, Iowa State, Kansas or Tech would get a one or two seed if they win conference. Kansas State would get a 3 or 4 unless they just sweep the rest of their games. A loss for Kansas State is, for some reason, more devastating in the eyes of the experts. Let Texas Tech lose 3 out of 5 and they’re right back in the hype if they win the next one. Let the Cats lose 3 out of 5 and it will take six straight to start getting some votes.

In the tournament, seed matters. If KState gets a one or two seed, there’s a heckuva chance they will be playing for a chance to go to the final four.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 8th, 2019, 5:46 pm

the tournament is such an illogical, unpredictable crap shoot. i'd much rather win the dang conference title from those cheatin', down-river bastards than any seed in 'the dance.' :twisted:
Why is there something rather than nothing?

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » February 8th, 2019, 7:29 pm

learnin wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 4:43 pm
We seem to be forgetting something here. Preseason rankings might not mean much. Rankings, one month before selection Sunday, do mean something. No matter how mathematical they get with the selection process, bias always enters into the equation.

We’re playing for a conference championship, yes. We’re also playing for a high seed in the tournament.
That is very important. The way I gotta see it, from bias perspective, Iowa State, Kansas or Tech would get a one or two seed if they win conference. Kansas State would get a 3 or 4 unless they just sweep the rest of their games. A loss for Kansas State is, for some reason, more devastating in the eyes of the experts. Let Texas Tech lose 3 out of 5 and they’re right back in the hype if they win the next one. Let the Cats lose 3 out of 5 and it will take six straight to start getting some votes.

In the tournament, seed matters. If KState gets a one or two seed, there’s a heckuva chance they will be playing for a chance to go to the final four.
If we win the league outright, it will probably take a 7-2 finish, given that ISU and KU both have more favorable schedules. No committee is going to give us a 3-4 seed under that scenario. Like I said, winning from this point forward will take care of itself. There are no more Tulsas and A&M's on the schedule to take us down. There are no teams in our conference as bad as those two. If we win the league outright, and win at least a game or two in the conference tournament, we will be fine as far as seeding is concerned. Anything less than a 2 seed for winning the Big 12 would be a joke.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » February 8th, 2019, 7:39 pm

tmcats wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Those losses are the reason we are not ranked.

show me a post where anyone argued that point.
Your first sentence is accurate, and makes my point.

Your second sentence is absurd, because this thread is all about why we SHOULD be ranked. "Shaking heads", etc. ASK the guys who are shaking their heads why they think we should be ranked after losing two stinkers. They are the one's trying to rationalize and minimize those losses. Don't ask me, because I don't agree with them. Go back and find their posts yourself.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » February 8th, 2019, 7:40 pm

pulitzerdave wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 7:39 pm
tmcats wrote:
February 8th, 2019, 2:51 pm
Those losses are the reason we are not ranked.

show me a post where anyone argued that point.
Your first sentence is accurate, and makes my point.

Your second sentence is absurd, because this thread is all about why we SHOULD be ranked. "Shaking heads", etc. ASK the guys who are shaking their heads why they think we should be ranked after losing two stinkers. They are the one's trying to rationalize and minimize those losses. Don't ask me, because I don't agree with them. Go back and find their posts yourself. Maybe you can start with the guy who started the thread, and all others who agree with him.

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » February 8th, 2019, 7:42 pm

you're just a classic internal troll, p'dave. and frankly, i'm growing weary of your straw man acts. you wrote the first sentence. i asked you where anyone said that was wrong? no one anywhere.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

WIldWIllieCat
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by WIldWIllieCat » February 8th, 2019, 8:22 pm

Bad News: You can't make a bad loss, like A&M, go away.
Good News: You can bury it under a bunch of good wins.
Bad News: Our noncon schedule didn't give us the opportunity to rack up many good wins.
Good News: We've put ourselves in position, at the halfway point, to possibly win a P5 conference.

pulitzerdave

Post by pulitzerdave » February 8th, 2019, 9:19 pm

For those complaining about a lack of respect by those who rank teams, let me put this is simple terms. Preseason polls showed us plenty of respect by ranking us 12th. When we didn't measure up to that ranking, we got dropped from the rankings. Now, some are complaining that we should be ranked again despite an ugly loss just three games ago. It's not a given that this should happen. We need to earn it back. I don't care where Iowa State or Texas Tech are ranked - it's irrelevant to how the media and coaches feel about our team. They are not solely comparing head to head competition - they are factoring in several elements. So ... again I say ... earn it back!

Hypeman

Post by Hypeman » February 9th, 2019, 8:50 pm

I suspect the ranking will come on Monday

learnin

Post by learnin » February 9th, 2019, 9:00 pm

#25? It will hurt them, but they might just do it.