Hurt - Alabama QB to transfer

The defending Big XII Champions
ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Re: Hurt - Alabama QB to transfer

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 12th, 2019, 9:39 am

What tune would you recommend the QBs sing? ;)

tmcats

Pick 'Em

Post by tmcats » January 12th, 2019, 9:54 am

i'm guessing maryland where his bama o'coordinator is now head coach.
Why is there something rather than nothing?

Tbonespop

Post by Tbonespop » January 12th, 2019, 10:27 am

ToledoCat#2 wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 9:39 am
What tune would you recommend the QBs sing? ;)
For the Old Timers
Kum ba ya
Ring around the Rosie

For The Gen X crowd (me)
Another one bites the dust
With or without you (U2)

For the millenials
Cry me a River - Justin Timberlake
Bye bye bye - The Backstreet Boys
EMAW

katlander

Pick 'Em

Post by katlander » January 13th, 2019, 1:33 am

You're going to miss me when I'm gone by Brooks & Dunn
Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band
Its My Life by Bon Jovi

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 13th, 2019, 10:08 am

Good ones. Funny things can happen with a typo.

AJcat7755

Pick 'Em

Post by AJcat7755 » January 13th, 2019, 1:06 pm

tmcats wrote:
January 12th, 2019, 9:54 am
i'm guessing maryland where his bama o'coordinator is now head coach.
Miami hired Alabama's QB Coach, Dan Enos, to be their OC. Another possible landing spot.

02Cat

Pick 'Em

Post by 02Cat » January 14th, 2019, 9:51 am

ajcksu82 wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 5:43 pm
PurpleOnWhite wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 4:30 pm
Word is that OU is talking with him.
OU = Transfer QB U?

One would think that OU would be able to recruit and develop the top QBs in the nation and not have to get transfers. Then again, they have lost some QBs as well.

Justice Hansen, 155th overall player in the 2014 class decided to transfer instead of wait his turn behind Trevor Knight and Baker Mayfield. He went to Butler CC and then to Arkansas State.

Chris Robinson, the 172nd overall player in the 2017 class was dismissed from the team. Ended up at FAU.

If they bring in Hurts for 2 years, I wouldn't be surprised to see Austin Kendall, the 190th overall player in the 2016 class, transfer. He has already graduated and has 2 years left to play, so there is no reason for him to stick around as a backup. He already sat behind Mayfield, and behind Murray, the team was supposed to be his next.

Also have to wonder if Tanner Mordecai, 249th best player in the 2018 class, would think about transferring as well. He RS 2018, so he still has 4 years to play, but would he want to sit behind Hurts for 2 years when his talent could have him starting earlier elsewhere? Not to mention that OU already over recruited him with Spencer Rattler, the 23rd best player in the 2019 class. Something has got to give already, adding Hurts makes it even harder.

OU's QB:
RS JR - Austin Kendall - 190th in 2016
RS FR - Tanner Mordecai - 248th in 2018
FR - Spencer Rattler - 23rd in 2019

That brings up my soap box. Every year we see good players go to these "blue blood" programs only to be over-recruited the next year and end up transferring. How many times is it going to happen before these players realize they are better off being the star at another school, then riding the bench at a blue blood for a few years before transferring? A lot of times, outside of the top players like Hurts, they end up transferring to a lower school then what they could have had straight out of HS. Take Hansen for example. Instead of going to OU, he could have gone to Arizona State, Arkansas, Auburn, Missouri, Ole Miss, Texas A&M. Instead, he goes to OU, gets buried and then after losing eligibility at OU, and then at a JUCO he ends up at Arkansas State. Would he have just been better off with one of those other schools instead? Kids need to take a serious evaluation of the rosters, and themselves to see if they can earn a starting spot, or if they will just get over recruited.
I don't disagree with really anything you've said, but you have to also consider the fact that each of these guys probably get a pretty high ego while they're going through the recruiting process. There's a lot of different paths in the recruiting process, but, ultimately Hansen gets offers from all those schools, they all layout their path for him to become their starter and win the Heisman, National Championship, Top Draft pick with him as their guy. His confidence gets higher and higher, his ego about gets bigger and bigger and all the other kids in school talk about how he's going to be a pro, they vote him Prom King, most likely to succeed, etc. etc. etc.

At that point, is there much doubt that you'll beat out anybody and play for the team you sign to?
Tell people that there's an invisible man in the sky who created the universe, and the vast majority will believe you. Tell them the paint is wet, and they have to touch it to be sure. - George Carlin

Jax

Pick 'Em

Post by Jax » January 14th, 2019, 11:22 am

If most are unaware Jalen Hurts was in Norman this past weekend, and Austin Kendall has put his name in the transfer portal. ESPN provided a breakdown of where Jalen Hurts could end up. This is the synopsis for OU:
Oklahoma Sooners
Why it makes sense for Oklahoma: Assuming that Heisman winner Kyler Murray moves on with his MLB -- or NFL -- career, Oklahoma will have an enormous void at quarterback, a position held over the last two years by back-to-back Heisman winners. The Sooners do have a fourth-year junior, Austin Kendall, who has been waiting for his turn to run Lincoln Riley's offense. But Hurts transferring to Oklahoma would work well with the timing of incoming freshman Spencer Rattler, who is the No. 1 QB recruit in the country. Because Rattler isn't arriving until the summer, he likely wouldn't be ready to start the 2019 season anyway. Hurts could bridge the gap between Murray and Rattler while keeping the Sooners in the playoff conversation. -- Jake Trotter

Why it makes sense for Hurts: This might be the home-run destination. It checks every box. It's a playoff-caliber program. It's the opportunity to start right away. And it's the strong whiff of the NFL blowing through Norman. Baker Mayfield's success in the pros, coupled with Murray's possible standing as a first-round pick and Riley's obvious appeal to NFL owners and general managers, would put Hurts right where he wants to be. If his goal is to have an opportunity to play in the pros -- and it is -- then the Sooners will merit strong consideration. -- Scarborough
My money is on Hurts making his announcement as soon as Kyler Murray makes his, as to whether he goes to the NFL or MLB. That should be today, if the decision has not already been made. Hurts has to be enrolled somewhere this week unless he is being guaranteed to QB somewhere next season, so may wait to enroll next fall.
We don’t see things as they are; we see them as we are. - Anaïs Nin

Gorhoops

Post by Gorhoops » January 14th, 2019, 11:48 am

Jax wrote:
January 14th, 2019, 11:22 am
If most are unaware Jalen Hurts was in Norman this past weekend, and Austin Kendall has put his name in the transfer portal. ESPN provided a breakdown of where Jalen Hurts could end up. This is the synopsis for OU:
Oklahoma Sooners
Why it makes sense for Oklahoma: Assuming that Heisman winner Kyler Murray moves on with his MLB -- or NFL -- career, Oklahoma will have an enormous void at quarterback, a position held over the last two years by back-to-back Heisman winners. The Sooners do have a fourth-year junior, Austin Kendall, who has been waiting for his turn to run Lincoln Riley's offense. But Hurts transferring to Oklahoma would work well with the timing of incoming freshman Spencer Rattler, who is the No. 1 QB recruit in the country. Because Rattler isn't arriving until the summer, he likely wouldn't be ready to start the 2019 season anyway. Hurts could bridge the gap between Murray and Rattler while keeping the Sooners in the playoff conversation. -- Jake Trotter

Why it makes sense for Hurts: This might be the home-run destination. It checks every box. It's a playoff-caliber program. It's the opportunity to start right away. And it's the strong whiff of the NFL blowing through Norman. Baker Mayfield's success in the pros, coupled with Murray's possible standing as a first-round pick and Riley's obvious appeal to NFL owners and general managers, would put Hurts right where he wants to be. If his goal is to have an opportunity to play in the pros -- and it is -- then the Sooners will merit strong consideration. -- Scarborough
My money is on Hurts making his announcement as soon as Kyler Murray makes his, as to whether he goes to the NFL or MLB. That should be today, if the decision has not already been made. Hurts has to be enrolled somewhere this week unless he is being guaranteed to QB somewhere next season, so may wait to enroll next fall.

He will be a grad transfer, so when he enrolls will be based on whether he has already graduated from Bama or not. If he has already graduated, I'm sure he will enroll this week at a new school, but if he doesn't graduate until May, he has to wait until the summer.

Watutalkaboutwillis

Pick 'Em

Post by Watutalkaboutwillis » January 14th, 2019, 5:59 pm

Murray announced to enter the draft. Assume we will see the notice that Hurts is going to OU in the next day or two.