The force is powerful and mysterious

COTY Jerome Tang and his 2023 Elite Eight Cats
learnin

The force is powerful and mysterious

Post by learnin » January 10th, 2019, 12:54 am

Well, it looks as if Kansas State basketball players didn't need to stop lifting weights after all. I was wrong. It looks as if they didn't need to change their form. It looks as if they don't need better recruits. It looks as if they don't need a new coach. Isn't it marvelous how a coach looks great when shots fall? An offense, which looked like Dry Gulch's pee wee team in one half, looked like Duke in the second half. Did Weber finally begin coaching and pull something out of his hat at the first media time out of the second half?

This team simply needed a string of shots to fall so the FORCE could be ignited. Laugh if you will, but there is certainly no explanation for what we saw in the second half this evening. A team, that couldn't throw it in the ocean for games, suddenly began to knock shots down from all over the court. In the first half, Sneed took a three from the corner that was like a fastball thrown at the net. When the force struck, his shots were a thing of beauty. Mike McGuirl couldn't miss. Heck, he almost slung up a one handed three pointer, as the shot clock ran out, than went swish. Kamau couldn't knock down a pull up 2 pointer all year. When the force grabbed hold, SWISH. I would be willing to bet if they threw it over to Wyatt, at the scorer's bench, he would've knocked one down....with his headphones on. Texas grabbed the force in the last minutes of our game last week. A poor shooting team, suddenly, could not miss.

Momentum (force) is a real phenomenon. It is an energy. It is an unknown. It is like Jesus once said about the Spirit. "Ye neither know where it comes or where it goes." Confidence, you might ask? What is confidence? Can you see it? A good basketball team needs only to spark that force with a couple of turnovers or consecutive swishes. This is why it's important to have a healthy Dean and Kamau. Dean is the closest thing we have to a pure shooter. Kamau is a good shooter at distance. These two guys provide good opportunities for igniting the Force.

Even after we caught hold of the force, tonight, West Virginia (and the refs) kept scoring. It's not like West Virginia rolled over and played dead. They kept hitting three's. They made a very good percentage of their three's. They got to the bucket with a whistle almost every time. After we got it down to 4, they went back up by 10. The force, however, was not going to relent this time.

It was a fantastic, and gutsy, performance by our players. There is nothing quite like the force, though.

bigpurpleman

Post by bigpurpleman » January 10th, 2019, 7:08 am

Ok

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

KsJoey

Post by KsJoey » January 10th, 2019, 9:23 am

The offense wasn't the reason the Cats started shooting lights out. The coaching wasn't the reason the Cats suddenly started making points(except for designed plays). The shooting just got contagious. We may never see another Kstate game where the players went from "can't make a bucket" to "can't miss a bucket", quite like that. I'm happy to get the win. I'm happy for the players and hopefully they can build off of it. But the run wasn't the result of Weber or this offense. I don't believe in a "Force" with sports, but I do believe in confidence, momentum and contagious shooting. The guys just hot super hot after being super cold.

SkeeterZX190

Post by SkeeterZX190 » January 10th, 2019, 9:38 am

McGuirl comes to life after Cartier got benched. I don't know if Cartier played 1 minute in the 2nd half. If he did, it was at the very start of the 2nd half.

SkeeterZX190

Post by SkeeterZX190 » January 10th, 2019, 9:41 am

A question. Which player deserves the most credit for sparking the comeback, Barry or Mike?

ToledoCat#2
Has thanked: 0
Been thanked: 0

Post by ToledoCat#2 » January 10th, 2019, 9:50 am

But, but, but .....It's impossible that this team of mal-coached, unskilled, unmotivated, soft players didn't throw-in-the-towel and, conversely, staged a near impossible rally from 21 points down to win.

Nary a point from the center position. Two foul-outs and almost a 3rd from the post. Starting guard benched. A win couldn't happen.

It HAD to be Learnin's FORCE.

Might be a long season after all for all the debbie-downers and Weber-haters.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 10th, 2019, 10:00 am

"I would be willing to bet if they threw it over to Wyatt, at the scorer's bench, he would've knocked one down....with his headphones on."

OK. You had me till this. Wyatt can't throw the ball in the ocean with high-tide around his neck. Now I'm positive that you're taking a nip of the nitrous. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Agree with the posts on confidence and shooting being contagious. All of a sudden the game becomes fun and guys loosen up.

hilltopwildcat

Post by hilltopwildcat » January 10th, 2019, 10:13 am

On another note, did anyone see that a psychic has toured Arrowhead and the ghost of Hank Stram is finally willing to let the Chiefs win a playoff game?

Wyldkatz

Post by Wyldkatz » January 10th, 2019, 10:25 am

hilltopwildcat wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 10:13 am
On another note, did anyone see that a psychic has toured Arrowhead and the ghost of Hank Stram is finally willing to let the Chiefs win a playoff game?
They may beat the Colts, but they aren't reaching the SB with that atrocious defense.

learnin

Post by learnin » January 10th, 2019, 10:25 am

KsJoey wrote:
January 10th, 2019, 9:23 am
The offense wasn't the reason the Cats started shooting lights out. The coaching wasn't the reason the Cats suddenly started making points(except for designed plays). The shooting just got contagious. We may never see another Kstate game where the players went from "can't make a bucket" to "can't miss a bucket", quite like that. I'm happy to get the win. I'm happy for the players and hopefully they can build off of it. But the run wasn't the result of Weber or this offense. I don't believe in a "Force" with sports, but I do believe in confidence, momentum and contagious shooting. The guys just hot super hot after being super cold.
Joey, finally we can agree on one thing. Good coaching had nothing to do with our miraculous second half shooting. If you admit that, however, you must admit that our poor shooting has nothing to do with bad coaching in the first half. We've been just as open, all year, as we were open in the second half. The only difference is we began to make shots. This is the whole point to be gained from last night's miraculous come back. Emotional, axe-grinding, fans cannot use reason, and common sense, to see that our coaching is solid. Our intangibles are shaky. Here, I'm talking about those things you cannot put a finger on. You deny the force because you can't see it, touch it or wrap your arms around it. Yet, you believe in momentum and contagious shooting, which is just as invisible as the force. All of these things are spiritual phenomena. You can't bottle it. You can't predict it, but you see it's power.

Yes, our intangibles are shaky. Injuries. That's another thing you can't put a finger on. One year a team goes by without injury to major players when one misstep is all it takes for a major injury to occur. It could happen on one step in a season that has half a million steps.

I belabor the point because last night, for instance, I get on Twitter and I see a string of people, in the first half of this game, tweeting that Weber should be fired on the spot for the pathetic offensive performance. After the second half, all were silent. There was no coaching change as you pointed out, yet these revenge seekers had to go away. What made them go away when Weber didn't pull any magic trick out of his coaching hat?
They went away because of a thing we call the force....momentum.....confidence......contagious shooting if you will.